Tyler Bray still undrafted (merged)

If I recall correctly, the Titans worked him out with Hunter and CP. Wouldn't be surprised if they take him later on in the 5th round.

Also workouts don't always mean terribly much in who they'll be interested in taking; teams work out more players than they'll end up taking most years and sometimes it's even just to use the full number of workouts

You're right about TB being more talented than Casey Clausen. But that's exactly what I was talking about with my post about perception being heavily based on outcomes without a lot of context. CC is a hero for "winning" games. TB is a loser with a bad attitude because he played on 3 of the worst Tennessee teams of the past 25 years. I'd contend that if TB had played from 2000-2003 instead of 2010-2012, their legacies might actually be the opposite.

As much as I like many of your posts comparing Casey to Bray is comparing apples to oranges. CC truly gave his all for UT as shown against Arkansas. He also put in the film study and was committed to the team. Granted he had better direction but Bray admitted he only applied himself up to 80%. I'm telling you, that will not get you ahead in life or football. This should have been recognized and fixed before a Vandy benching.

Physical attributes are only part of the QB puzzle as many here don't seem to realize.

As much as I like many of your posts comparing Casey to Bray is comparing apples to oranges. CC truly gave his all for UT as shown against Arkansas. He also put in the film study and was committed to the team. Granted he had better direction but Bray admitted he only applied himself up to 80%. I'm telling you, that will not get you ahead in life or football. This should have been recognized and fixed before a Vandy benching.

Physical attributes are only part of the QB puzzle as many here don't seem to realize.

I just don't see how someone who has one of the most talented arms in the nation could care so little about football....me and all my friends have come to the conclusion (as i'm sure everyone else has too) that the guy is just your standard, run-of-the-mill dumba$$. He's just not a very bright, smart, or intelligent guy. For proof all you need to do is look at the Gruden segment with him.

Also, CC lead the VOLS to a 5 OT victory over alabubba. :yes: :rock:

To be fair, at the time it seemed McNair was going to play for another 2-4 years and they needed a CB; no one knew that the very next season the owner was going to lock him out of all the facilities over a comment he made and then Steve would demand a trade

That also said, there's 19 other teams who should be noted at idiots for passing on Rodgers as well

Air McNair was tough for a qb, played hurt alot. :yes:

IF he gets drafted he has to realize football is now a job. But if he can't hack it, then he'll get to see how the real world is, with a real job, and God help him then.

Reactions: 2 people
I just don't see how someone who has one of the most talented arms in the nation could care so little about football....me and all my friends have come to the conclusion (as i'm sure everyone else has too) that the guy is just your standard, run-of-the-mill dumba$$. He's just not a very bright, smart, or intelligent guy. For proof all you need to do is look at the Gruden segment with him.

Well if Bray ever does become a starter, hopefully this board won't be surprised when he is introduced on Sunday night football saying "tyler bray, lincon elementary school" instead of UT.

Reactions: 1 person
Well if Bray ever does become a starter, hopefully this board won't be surprised when he is introduced on Sunday night football saying "tyler bray, lincon elementary school" instead of UT.

Well that's a big if, and I honestly don't think that him saying his high school would disappoint me that much. Dude beat OM, UK, and Vandy. Even Jonathan Crompton had wins over UGA and USCe, and he was garbage.

Let's face it...butch would have prob threw him off the team by sept anyway....

I agree, Dooley knew his career at UT was riding on Bray, and gave him way too long of a leash. Butch wouldn't have put up with diva Bray. At least that's what his interviews, overall mindset, and demeanor on and off the field suggests.

Stay and learn a new offense, unproven receivers and face a draft class the next year that will be stronger with no guarantee your stock goes up vs. taking a chance against a weak draft class with no proven QBs in it.

There is a very good chance Tyler would have went even lower next year than this year. Stronger QB class next year. New offense plus a very hard schedule wouldn't have helped him any.

I thought it was a no brainer for him to leave.

If we a had coach that would have fixed him there wouldnt be a problem. Dooley had no control over the team. This would have never happened under Fulmer nor with Cutcliff or even Sanders at OC. With Cutcliff this kid would have been a gem. Not to mention if our D was even average we win 3 more games this past year.

This is just ridiculous. Under fulmer bray would have had competition keeping him check. Bray had none. Not because of Dooley but b/c kiffen ran them all off and left 0 on campus when Dooley arrived.

Sure if the D were more experienced in the new scheme we would have won more games. But if CP would have caught that easy pass in the Georgia game, no fumble at the end of the USCjr game, no fumble at the end of the miss st game, and see where we could have won 3 more games if the O didn't make key mistakes???

Stay and learn a new offense, unproven receivers and face a draft class the next year that will be stronger with no guarantee your stock goes up vs. taking a chance against a weak draft class with no proven QBs in it.

There is a very good chance Tyler would have went even lower next year than this year. Stronger QB class next year. New offense plus a very hard schedule wouldn't have helped him any.

I thought it was a no brainer for him to leave.

I see your point, but a lot of draft "experts" were astounded that Bray made the decision to leave early, citing immaturity, inability to read defenses, work ethic etc.

Last edited:
I agree, Dooley knew his career at UT was riding on Bray, and gave him way too long of a leash. Butch wouldn't have put up with diva Bray. At least that's what his interviews, overall mindset, and demeanor on and off the field suggests.

If butch only had bray like Dooley I'm sure butchs leash would be longer than he would have liked it to have been. Dooley and butch walked into 2 situations that couldn't be farther apart from each other. Plain and simple.

If butch only had bray like Dooley I'm sure butchs leash would be longer than he would have liked it to have been. Dooley and butch walked into 2 situations that couldn't be farther apart from each other. Plain and simple.

I agree that they walked into different situations, but I don't think Jones would ever afford the type of leash that Dooley gave bray, even if he was his only hope.

Butch already has said that every position on the field is wide open, and that everyone has an equal chance of starting if their performance is good. He seems like a no-nonsense kind of coach, and one that wouldn't put up with an ego like Bray's.

On another note, where did Bray get this ego of his? He sucks, and has no results to back it up.

He will be drafted by the steelers later today...just a feeling I have

I would think so as well. I always thought he would go in the 4th or 5th round. The guy has way too much potential to not get drafted.

That was a big part of Bray's problem and Dooley's problem with a rebuilding team. The two best players on the team, Bray and the Ricky, were so openly contemptuous of authority that they really did subvert Dooley's position and team morale, the whole atmosphere surrounding them. Say what you will, but I don't think that Bray would have bought into Coach Jones either; he didn't even try; he was way too jaded, and Jones was in a much better position than Dooley to take none of that attitude.

Very well said. U got bashed by volbeef so u know that it was dead on correct. :good!:

This is the classic case of a narrative being built around an outcome and then stuck on a guy. Right now, he's undisciplined and lackidasical. If he had played on a team with a running game and a defense to lean on he's a playmaker with calm, cool attitude. It's basically the difference between Casey Clausen and Tyler Bray.

BS. Casey studied the game and knew the audibles. Casey checked out of plays on his own in his first start against Bama in 2000. Do not dis Casey like that. Bray is nothing like Casey Clausen.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree that they walked into different situations, but I don't think Jones would ever afford the type of leash that Dooley gave bray, even if he was his only hope.

Butch already has said that every position on the field is wide open, and that everyone has an equal chance of starting if their performance is good. He seems like a no-nonsense kind of coach, and one that wouldn't put up with an ego like Bray's.

On another note, where did Bray get this ego of his? He sucks, and has no results to back it up.

There is no way u can say jones wouldn't have a longer leash. Jones isn't in the situation Dooley was in. Jones can say that it's an open competition because he is gonna have 4 talented QBs on campus. 2 that have been on campus. Dooley only had bray, Simms, and Nash. All 3 new to campus. Totally different situations and NO ONE, not even Jones, could say he would/could handle it differently than Dooley did.

There is no way u can say jones wouldn't have a longer leash. Jones isn't in the situation Dooley was in. Jones can say that it's an open competition because he is gonna have 4 talented QBs on campus. 2 that have been on campus. Dooley only had bray, Simms, and Nash. All 3 new to campus. Totally different situations and NO ONE, not even Jones, could say he would/could handle it differently than Dooley did.

It's a completely hypothetical situation, I can say whatever the hell I want to say.

Jones isn't in the situation that Dooley was in, I already agreed with you on that. But, due to Coach Jones' attitude and the way he has coached in the past, as well as what his demeanor at TN suggests so far, I think Bray, coming in as a freshman under Jones, would have absorbed more of his coaching style and his discipline and applied it more to football and life in general, because Jones does not put up with BS.

Dooley has proven to be one of the worst, if not the worst coaches in TN history. Dooley came into a crappy situation and did the best he could. Butch Jones is a completely different person with a completely different coaching style, scheme, staff, and had had previous head coaching experience (with a team not named LATech). Butch and Dooley would not have made the same decisions. Period.

AND...Jones brought in 4 good to very good QBs in his first class ever at UT. Who's to say he couldn't have done the same in Dooley's shoes?

VN Store

Back