Tyler Bray still undrafted (merged)

Stay and learn a new offense, unproven receivers and face a draft class the next year that will be stronger with no guarantee your stock goes up vs. taking a chance against a weak draft class with no proven QBs in it.

There is a very good chance Tyler would have went even lower next year than this year. Stronger QB class next year. New offense plus a very hard schedule wouldn't have helped him any.

I thought it was a no brainer for him to leave.

Understand your points but someone in his inner circle should have enlightened him that he isn't ready for prime time just yet.

CBJ would have pushed TB and made him a better QB, he would have made him man up and be a leader and correct his fundamental problems such as studying the enemy. It would have been an opportunity for him to correct some of his glaring weaknesses such as responding to pressure and adversity.

But it would have required TB to buy in to the new coaches system or he'd be riding the pine. Maybe TB wasn't up for this and he knew it.

I honestly think TB and his family were too naive and thought he could do well on raw talent alone.

Why are we comparing Bray to Clausen? We remember how much talent Clausen's defenses had right?

Why are we comparing Bray to Clausen? We remember how much talent Clausen's defenses had right?

It is a nice compare and contrast.

Clausen could manage the game much better but was clearly outmatched against Bray's arm strength and accuracy. But Clausen also a good pair of legs on him and made a few TD's and many 1st downs that way.

Bray had superb talent and made the big play look easy. But sometimes he would "pass" over easy 1st down throws and go for broke on a less sure play. Feast or famine!

True, but Clausen was 34-10 as a starter. Bray has more ability, but I would take Clausen if I had to choose.

He definitely gave his all for the VOLS. He was a true road warrior. Wasn't he like 9-1 in his career for SEC away games or something like that?

I brought up Bray vs. Clausen for precisely that reason . . . to illustrate that it's a team game where the QB inevitably gets too much credit and too much blame after the fact in an oversimplified effort to describe what happened.

The fact is that 80-90% of the time when Clausen took the field, his team was better than the other guys. For Bray, it was around 30-40%. Hence the results and hence the legacies.

The funny thing about it is I can remember the infancy of VN when people talked about Clausen the way they now talk about Tyler Bray.

He definitely gave his all for the VOLS. He was a true road warrior. Wasn't he like 9-1 in his career for SEC away games or something like that?

Yeah, he was 10-1. If Clausen had Bray's ability, then I would not have been surprised if he ad been a first rou d draft pick.

It's a completely hypothetical situation, I can say whatever the hell I want to say.

Jones isn't in the situation that Dooley was in, I already agreed with you on that. But, due to Coach Jones' attitude and the way he has coached in the past, as well as what his demeanor at TN suggests so far, I think Bray, coming in as a freshman under Jones, would have absorbed more of his coaching style and his discipline and applied it more to football and life in general, because Jones does not put up with BS.

Dooley has proven to be one of the worst, if not the worst coaches in TN history. Dooley came into a crappy situation and did the best he could. Butch Jones is a completely different person with a completely different coaching style, scheme, staff, and had had previous head coaching experience (with a team not named LATech). Butch and Dooley would not have made the same decisions. Period.

AND...Jones brought in 4 good to very good QBs in his first class ever at UT. Who's to say he couldn't have done the same in Dooley's shoes?

R u kidding me???? Did u read ur post before u pressed submit???

U can be as hypothetical as u want but acting as if it's truth is disingenuous.

I'll be honest I thought u were someone that would be able to have a good discussion but I was mistaken. Especially when I read ur last statement. Dooley brought in 2 of those QBs and a third was committed to Dooley. So butch brought in 1 of those QBs and he 2 months to do it not 10 days. That was a classic smh moment and I've had plenty on this site. Just ridic....:crazy:

Matt Barkley just came off the board. Now it will be interesting to see who the next few QBs taken are.

I see your point, but a lot of draft "experts" were astounded that Bray made the decision to leave early, citing immaturity, inability to read defenses, work ethic etc.

Which probably would have been the same after this year, which would have dropped his stock even more. He had a lot of pros and cons of staying. Knowing his personality, leaving was probably the better option.

Matt Barkley just came off the board. Now it will be interesting to see who the next few QBs taken are.

I don't like uscW or Beagles. But this was a good bargain for Chip Kelly. Question is will Barkley fit into the Kelly offensive Schema.

Earth to Vick, cut out the turnovers or else!

To be frank, I think it will bode well for him if he gets drafted later in the draft. It will take the pressure off of him to perform early bc we all know he doesn't perform well under pressure.

Is Tyler Wilson still available. I think he will be best the best QB of this draft when it all sorts out.

To be frank, I think it will bode well for him if he gets drafted later in the draft. It will take the pressure off of him to perform early bc we all know he doesn't perform well under pressure.

2 solid pts. IMO tifwiw yadda yadda yadda

This is not at all surprising to me. The kid's body of work which "REALLY" matters is just full of concerns. It's obvious to me the NFL teams are really doing their homework. I wish him the best....but he's got some things to prove to me before I label "special". GO VOLS!

R u kidding me???? Did u read ur post before u pressed submit???

U can be as hypothetical as u want but acting as if it's truth is disingenuous.

I'll be honest I thought u were someone that would be able to have a good discussion but I was mistaken. Especially when I read ur last statement. Dooley brought in 2 of those QBs and a third was committed to Dooley. So butch brought in 1 of those QBs and he 2 months to do it not 10 days. That was a classic smh moment and I've had plenty on this site. Just ridic....:crazy:

So you pick the very last thing I say to flame me for and ignore the meat of my argument? To be honest I thought someone who would use the word disingenuous (incorrectly) would be somebody who would have the time to type out "you" and "you're."

I didn't even think about the fact that Dooley had brought in those QB's, call it an oversight. Oops, i'm human. Okay, Jones brought in one QB and he did it with more time than Dooley had. But that doesn't change the substance of my main argument (that you didn't even address) in any way, shape or form.

I have a feeling we will be hearing a lot less Bray hate after a few game into this season. He had his problems, but he is very under appreciated by the fan base.

Reactions: 1 person
Think he will get to carry the clip board as a 3rd stringer or not, he could come back here for 1 more year and worked hard, then he would been gone by at least the second round.

VN Store

Back