Tyler Bray still undrafted (merged)

Butch could have and would have adapted the system to the personel available. Not being a "fit" isn't the best of reasons people.

I'm not convinced he would have started under Butch. He would have at least forced Bray to compete for the job.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

And you know this....how, exactly? I recall Vandy giving Peyton fits every year, with Widenhoffer's exotic blitz schemes. So, based on that, you can surmise that Peyton doesn't know a damn thing about reading defenses? :loco:

The fact of the matter is, Chaney was reading the defenses and calling the plays in. You can't fault Bray for not making calls when the OC takes that option away from him. There is no way in hell for you or anyone outside their QB meetings to know whether Bray knows how to read coverages

Even when the OC calls the plays the QB HAS to know how to read defenses. Has to know where to go with the ball, whether to check down based on how defense reacts to their formations, routes, etc.

If we a had coach that would have fixed him there wouldnt be a problem. Dooley had no control over the team. This would have never happened under Fulmer nor with Cutcliff or even Sanders at OC. With Cutcliff this kid would have been a gem. Not to mention if our D was even average we win 3 more games this past year.

True Dooley did not have control.

Fulmer fix him?
How, like he did Crompton?
Speaking of control of team, remember the Fulmer Cup?
Remember picking up the paper and reading about TN players being in trouble during the Fulmer years

Tyler would have had a chance to shine under Cut or Sanders. When he started his garbage he would have been sent to the bench and stayed there until he got his act together. That may have helped.
You can't fix brains and Tyler appears to not be the sharpest knife in the drawer. His actions have cost him millions of dollars. He has the arm to be a top 5 NFL pick.

Did anyone else watch Gruden's evaluation of Bray? I felt like Gruden cut him apart with a smile. Gruden asked him why he made certain decisions on the field to which he had no good answer. He asked why he didn't return for his senior season to learn and then noted that even Peyton took one final year to hone his skills. The coup de gras came when he told Bray he had all the physical attributes and stated that pro's win from the neck up which essentially highlighted Bray's short comings.
If anyone watched the games, then they saw what Gruden saw. A young, talented kid with sloppy mechanics and a bad work ethic. Basically "fools gold". Probably why Gruden DID NOT come here in the first place.
And this is not a Tom Brady situation either. Brady fell because of the unknown.
Bray is falling because of the KNOWN.

Reactions: 2 people
If anyone watched the games, then they saw what Gruden saw. A young, talented kid with sloppy mechanics and a bad work ethic. Basically "fools gold". Probably why Gruden DID NOT come here in the first place.
And this is not a Tom Brady situation either. Brady fell because of the unknown.
Bray is falling because of the KNOWN.

I think everyone on this board should realize,

1st TBray just turned 21 last year > he came to UT as a young 18 yr old

2nd He should be entering his senior season and working on skills that he is lacking > TBray had gun slinger arm and didn't have to work on the LITTLE things that make QB great <he is not PM> just as CJG pointed out--feels like he can stick the ball in any hole<

3rd CBJ would have been 3rd coach and didn't want to stay, work on those skills at College or get paid doing it.

4th TBray was not the reason CJG didn't take the UT job> he wasn't interested in a college gig. He has no reason to rebuild his coaching style because he is a SB Coach.

So TBray while he was here gave us some thrilling games to watch and some not so thrilling, just keep in mind that these players are still young kids. Give them a break before they don't want to come back to visit the school. They are some of our resources for facilities. :good!:

OK as usual I will bite ! Sure he is not happy right now, but he had no real choice. He realized he is not a "power-spread" QB and he had no choice.

He was turning pro no matter who the coach was this year. Considering he has lost every single big game he has ever started, why he (and so many others) thought he was going to be snatched up early is beyond me. Barkley and Nassib will both go before he does, so he "may" not get drafted at all. He has a huge arm and a ton of potential, but so did Ryan Leaf.

This is the classic case of a narrative being built around an outcome and then stuck on a guy. Right now, he's undisciplined and lackidasical. If he had played on a team with a running game and a defense to lean on he's a playmaker with calm, cool attitude. It's basically the difference between Casey Clausen and Tyler Bray.

I think everyone on this board should realize,

1st TBray just turned 21 last year > he came to UT as a young 18 yr old

That is a weak excuse for Bray.
The same thing can be said about the majority of Juniors entering the draft.

The difference is most of those kids were serious about their game and grew up some during their 3 years in college. Tyler is still acting like a 16 year old.

The only reason Tyler was not a top 5 pick is because of Tyler. He has more talent than any QB entering the draft.

He was put in a bad situation. Either he stays and doesn't do too well (assumption) or he leaves early and no one wants him.

This is the classic case of a narrative being built around an outcome and then stuck on a guy. Right now, he's undisciplined and lackidasical. If he had played on a team with a running game and a defense to lean on he's a playmaker with calm, cool attitude. It's basically the difference between Casey Clausen and Tyler Bray.

Tyler Bray has so much more natural talent than Casey Clausen ever had, but Casey Clausen found a way to win games, and Tyler Bray found a way to lose games. imo that is the difference between Clausen and Bray.

Reactions: 1 person
Tyler Bray has so much more natural talent than Casey Clausen ever had, but Casey Clausen found a way to win games, and Tyler Bray found a way to lose games. imo that is the difference between Clausen and Bray.

Casey found a way to do so with a defense that didn't finish dead last in the SEC.

This is the best draft for a QB to declare for the draft. A year may have helped but next years class may end up being stacked.

This was a terribly year to because almost everyone but one team is set at the position following last year's draft and this year's free agency

You're right about TB being more talented than Casey Clausen. But that's exactly what I was talking about with my post about perception being heavily based on outcomes without a lot of context. CC is a hero for "winning" games. TB is a loser with a bad attitude because he played on 3 of the worst Tennessee teams of the past 25 years. I'd contend that if TB had played from 2000-2003 instead of 2010-2012, their legacies might actually be the opposite.

You're right about TB being more talented than Casey Clausen. But that's exactly what I was talking about with my post about perception being heavily based on outcomes without a lot of context. CC is a hero for "winning" games. TB is a loser with a bad attitude because he played on 3 of the worst Tennessee teams of the past 25 years. I'd contend that if TB had played from 2000-2003 instead of 2010-2012, their legacies might actually be the opposite.

Look at GAvol batting a grand today. Haha
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think the Titans need another QB, but they did work him out. Might have been just to see Hunter and CP, but Bray was there. I've seen the Titans do much dumber things on draft day. For instance, taking Pac Man Jones over Aaron Rogers. Soooo stupid.

To be fair, at the time it seemed McNair was going to play for another 2-4 years and they needed a CB; no one knew that the very next season the owner was going to lock him out of all the facilities over a comment he made and then Steve would demand a trade

That also said, there's 19 other teams who should be noted at idiots for passing on Rodgers as well

I remember when NFL teams used to have balls and take chances on the great talents as opposed to the "heard workers."

You can't teach a hard worker to become a phenom, but you can reach a phenom to work harder.

VN Store

Back