U.S. Navy Not Fit For War

I gotta say the USMC is following the failed Imperial Japan defense response.

Gen Riper's phone blowing up.

Dispersed is the answer though..big phat Gators will be chewed up.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce

He raises some good points. Ones that I have argued with others concerning marine corps armor and artillery.

But he’s flat wrong about a major point of his contention.

Reactions: Orangeburst
I dunno had a good friend who served in both Iraq and Afghanistan and he got the fun experience of crashing in a helo into the ocean as well. He jumped from Helo as it went down in full gear from a very unsafe height. He was not your average jarhead though, RECON and a Raider too. He had scuba time. I bet your average marine spends more time in the water and learning to swim then your average Navy Seabee. :D
This is from an article that’s a few months old, but illustrates the point.

“Obviously the Marines have been on land for a long time and what I’m seeing is that … only a very small portion of the MEU that’s onboard now has been out to sea any time. So obviously we’re relearning that integration piece, so it’s going to be key,”
- Navy Captain with embarked MEU

Do you know what he’s referring to when he says the Marines are giving up their amphib capabilities?

The amphibious and logistics capabilities he references was what I had not seen. There has been much debate over what the future of connection will look like, but not the amphib mission itself (in the public domain).

The Marines have an entire ARG forward deployed in Singapore, and the America is in the South China Sea.

1675797635300.jpeg

Do you know what he’s referring to when he says the Marines are giving up their amphib capabilities?

The amphibious and logistics capabilities he references was what I had not seen. There has been much debate over what the future of connection will look like, but not the amphib mission itself (in the public domain).

The Marines have an entire ARG forward deployed in Singapore, and the America is in the South China Sea.

View attachment 535103

Sounds like the Big LHAs and LHD's or whatever type.
I doubt they scrap em. IDK.
Basically taking an offensive force and making it defensive is my understanding, hence my reference to Imperial Japan

Last edited:
Sounds like the Big LHAs and LHD's or whatever type.
Basically taking an offensive force and making it defensive is my understanding, hence my reference to Imperial Japan
Yea that’s what I’m not following. There are 2 LHA and 3 LHD in the Pacific right now.

The offensive vs defensive deployment is another question (that is not so cut and dry imo).

Yea that’s what I’m not following. There are 2 LHA and 3 LHD in the Pacific right now.

The offensive vs defensive deployment is another question (that is not so cut and dry imo).

IIRC..USS America is fit for F-35 ops and no well deck. These big amphibs would be carriers I guess.
Not like they giving it up entirely, but \\they already gave up their M-1s.

IIRC..USS America is fit for F-35 ops and no well deck. These big amphibs would be carriers I guess.
Not like they giving it up entirely, but \\they already gave up their M-1s.
Yea the America is a special sub-class with the well deck removed for increased air Ops - the lightning carrier concept.
But they’ve already gone back to the well deck variant and are testing new connectors.

They definitely got out of their armor and artillery - another decision up for debate…

Yea the America is a special sub-class with the well deck removed for increased air Ops - the lightning carrier concept.
But they’ve already gone back to the well deck variant and are testing new connectors.

They definitely got out of their armor and artillery - another decision up for debate…

They probably are hedging..better to have it and not use it than to not have it.
I would say the USN is not keen on someone else having carriers as well.

They would probably use LCAC's to fast transport troops and supplies to islands.

Holy smokes..never realized the Japs had a 71K carrier.
Stealth by sub or any measure.
Big targets die.

I am concerned with the USN ASW and even the ability of a carrier or ship to be 100% effective in defense.

Steath and dispersion

Reactions: 85SugarVol
They probably are hedging..better to have it and not use it than to not have it.
I would say the USN is not keen on someone else having carriers as well.

They would probably use LCAC's to fast transport troops and supplies to islands.
The USN is the Marines, and vice versa.

I think the lightning carrier concept is worth pursuing - smaller targets in greater numbers. And I don’t think the Navy would view them as anything but complimentary to the super carrier force (whatever that # ends up being).

LCAC is certainly key to connector capabilities. Marines are currently testing out a new ACV.

Holy smokes..never realized the Japs had a 71K carrier.
Stealth by sub or any measure.
Big targets die.

I am concerned with the USN ASW and even the ability of a carrier or ship to be 100% effective in defense.

Steath and dispersion

Submarines remain the future.
I’m concerned with the insufficient shipyard and dry dock capacity to keep up with maintenance and and production of our submarine force.

It would be a numbers game against China.

Last edited:
Reactions: Orangeburst
Got me. The benefits aren’t that great..

Actually military pay and benefits are pretty dang good now but IMO not good enough to put up with the non-mission PC BS on top of the rest of the normal military BS.

Actually military pay and benefits are pretty dang good now but IMO not good enough to put up with the non-mission PC BS on top of the rest of the normal military BS.
They are throwing cash at people. Well everyone but the Marines. Air Force and Navy are offering $50k bonuses. Still can’t get em.

VN Store

Back