Unoffical guide to all those traveling to the Oregon game. What to do/expect there.

Thanks OP. I appreciate the thread. My brother and I are making the trip up via Salt Lake City. Going to Yellowstone for a day, then to the Boise St. game on Friday and making it over to Eugene for the Vols game before heading down to San Francisco. How is parking at the stadium? How early should we arrive to park and comfortably make it to the stadium.

Thanks!

Thanks OP. I appreciate the thread. My brother and I are making the trip up via Salt Lake City. Going to Yellowstone for a day, then to the Boise St. game on Friday and making it over to Eugene for the Vols game before heading down to San Francisco. How is parking at the stadium? How early should we arrive to park and comfortably make it to the stadium.

Thanks!

Salt lake is so clean, love the friendly people. If you've never had it, they have an In n Out burger. Not bad....

Parking isn't a real issue. Plenty along centennial blvd. I'm always there early but I have a party problem, I love em too much.

There isn't any parking at the stadium unless you're a donor or disabled. There are a few lots directing across but they gouge pretty hard. Most people use the medical offices a half mile east of the stadium to avoid the police mucking up traffic. $10 and a ten minute walk, just follow the crowd west on Centennial (MLK). Hope you have a great time.

Reactions: 2 people
V rex, we are going to hit the san juan skyway, ashcroft, and we plan on traveling through Yosemite on 120, did you say it was opened now? Thanks for all the info so much to do so little time. GBO!

Couple of opinions.....going to the gorge is great, but don't waste your time hiking 1.1 miles up for a nothing view. Hike Angels rest, Horsetail falls, or Eagle creek.

Restaurants in Portland:

Pok Pok
Oven and Shakers
Tasty and Sons
Screen Door
Apizza Scholls, beware...hipster territory.
Le Pigeon
Clyde Common
Food trucks downtown

Restaurants in Eugene:

Belly is all I know. Breakfast joint on Alder but I forget the name and cross street. Great food though, maybe another duck will help.
There is a voodoo donuts in town. Much easier to get a donut than than the 200 people you'll see in line in Portland.

Salmon are running, not impossible to get a guided trip.

Any hiking, outdoors questions feel free to ask. I know a bit.

There isn't any parking at the stadium unless you're a donor or disabled. There are a few lots directing across but they gouge pretty hard. Most people use the medical offices a half mile east of the stadium to avoid the police mucking up traffic. $10 and a ten minute walk, just follow the crowd west on Centennial (MLK). Hope you have a great time.

If you purchase a pass from a donor you can park in the stadium lot.

Lots of great suggestions for eats in this thread. If you're still in town Sunday morning and might have drowned your sorrows a bit excessively the night before check out Brails, it usually gets pretty high marks for having a great hangover menu. 17th and Willamette.

Just FYI, we have an indoor practice facility (Mo Center) that sits right adjacent to Autzen stadium that is converted to tailgate central on Saturdays. The doors open to anyone with a ticket to the game 4 hours before kickoff and provides a beer garden, local restaurants catering, seating with 30 tvs going with all the current football games showing, live band, the Duck Fan shop, and most important... THE DUCK CHEEERLEADERS and Dance team! Inflatable games for the little kids and just a cool place to hang out. It sits on the West side of Autzen in between the new Football operations building and the stadium. FREE FREE FREE tailgating

V rex, we are going to hit the san juan skyway, ashcroft, and we plan on traveling through Yosemite on 120, did you say it was opened now? Thanks for all the info so much to do so little time. GBO!

I just looked again and Yosemite's website still indicates that the Tioga Pass road is closed "from Crane Flat to 1.5 miles east of White Wolf. The only access to the Tuolumne Meadows area is via Highway 120 from near Lee Vining" (Maps - Yosemite National Park). Hopefully, that will change by the time you get there. I don't know if this is specifically fire-related or not, but the western third of the Tioga Pass Rd. (120), which begins at Crane Flat, is presently closed.

This page (Current Conditions - Yosemite National Park) indicates, however, that this is a temporary closure and that all other park roads, except for nightly closures of the Hetch Hetchy Road, are open. Their phone number for current road conditions is: 209/372-0200 (press 1 then 1).

I'm glad to hear that you will be able to traverse the San Juan Skyway; you will truly savor the experience. In terms of rugged, majestic alpine scenery, that area even puts Rocky Mountain NP to shame. Will your schedule still permit you to take the Durango & Silverton Railroad (Home | Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train)?

Again, you may experience fairly good fall color in the Aspen/Ashcroft/Maroon Bells area. I presume that you have done so in previous visits, but be sure to take the Maroon Creek Road to Maroon Lake; that is the signature view which appears so frequently in photographs.

Feel free to post any additional questions that you may have up to your departure. If there is anything that I love more than Big Orange football, it is traveling in the Rocky Mountain West, particularly in the fall, when the tourists are gone, the weather is cool and crisp, the elk are bugling in the canyons and, if you are supremely fortunate, the peaks have received a fresh dusting of snow.

I want a complete report of your trip when you return.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I appreciate the thread. I'm making the trip and I'll be wearing the orange and White the entire time. I'm the kind of guy that is easy going and will get along with any friendly fan, no matter what school you root for (one of my best friends is a die-hard Alabama fan). I honestly hope I only encounter friendly Oregon fans who are as hospitable as I was in 2010. But for those 30 and under bandwagon fans that you mentioned, who will be drunk and obnoxious, I'm looking for the perfect one liner to shut them the F up. Any suggestions Vol fans? I'm thinking maybe...:

1. I forgot, when was your last National Championship?

2. How many National Championships do you claim again? Zero? Oh, yeah we claim six.

3. At the end of the day, no on on your schedule has more AP National Championships than us. A little respect is in order.

Thoughts?

Couple of opinions.....going to the gorge is great, but don't waste your time hiking 1.1 miles up for a nothing view. Hike Angels rest, Horsetail falls, or Eagle creek.

Restaurants in Portland:

Pok Pok
Oven and Shakers
Tasty and Sons
Screen Door
Apizza Scholls, beware...hipster territory.
Le Pigeon
Clyde Common
Food trucks downtown

Restaurants in Eugene:

Belly is all I know. Breakfast joint on Alder but I forget the name and cross street. Great food though, maybe another duck will help.
There is a voodoo donuts in town. Much easier to get a donut than than the 200 people you'll see in line in Portland.

Salmon are running, not impossible to get a guided trip.

Any hiking, outdoors questions feel free to ask. I know a bit.

Couple of my favorite Portland places:
Portland:
Cafe Mingo
Le Pigeon (if you can get in)
Paley's Place
VooDoo Donut - is worth stopping in, very unique place
St. Honore - great coffee and pastries

Eugene:
Glenwood Cafe (13th and Alder) - breakfast
Keystone Cafe - breakfast
Might try the Saturday market before the game for some good food booths.

Portland:
Cafe Mingo
Paley's Place

Eugene:

Glenwood cafe....thanks. Great food.

I appreciate the thread. I'm making the trip and I'll be wearing the orange and White the entire time. I'm the kind of guy that is easy going and will get along with any friendly fan, no matter what school you root for (one of my best friends is a die-hard Alabama fan). I honestly hope I only encounter friendly Oregon fans who are as hospitable as I was in 2010. But for those 30 and under bandwagon fans that you mentioned, who will be drunk and obnoxious, I'm looking for the perfect one liner to shut them the F up. Any suggestions Vol fans? I'm thinking maybe...:

2. How many National Championships do you claim again? Zero? Oh, yeah we claim six.

3. At the end of the day, no on on your schedule has more AP National Championships than us. A little respect is in order.

Thoughts?

those are all old and tired I would just ignore them

a response is what they want don't give them what they want

Portland:
Cafe Mingo
Paley's Place

Eugene:

Thinking about stoping at one of those places (either Glenwood or Keystone Cafe) for Breakfast in Eugene before the game. Are they likely to have a long wait?

Thoughts?

Remind them how many Championships they have with that Big O sign.

Thinking about stoping at one of those places (either Glenwood or Keystone Cafe) for Breakfast in Eugene before the game. Are they likely to have a long wait?

Good places tend to have a line. I've never waited very long at Glenwood but I always go there on Sunday as I always stay the night. I'd just be prepared.

Good places tend to have a line. I've never waited very long at Glenwood but I always go there on Sunday as I always stay the night. I'd just be prepared.

Thanks. We'll probably leave pretty early on Saturday morning. Really appreciate all of the help you and the other Oregon fans are providing.

I've got one more question, then I think we'll be set. We're looking at doing the Autzen Express bus to get to the stadium. Do any of you guys have experience with this, and if you do is there any certain location you recommend?

I've got one more question, then I think we'll be set. We're looking at doing the Autzen Express bus to get to the stadium. Do any of you guys have experience with this, and if you do is there any certain location you recommend?

I have none as I always stay at the laquinta. Right down the street.

The Express is an excellent option, clean, safe and inexpensive. I don't know where you are starting from but buses are like every ten minutes from Eugene station downtown. ltd.org has all the info you need.

No Problem. I am sorry that this post was so long, but I just want to make sure Tenn fans have a great time while there down here and that they do not get treated bad by a few nuckleheads...

I don't think an apology is needed. Matter of fact, it made me want to go to the game. Can't though, too tied up here, still. . . .

Great advice from the Oregon fans. I appreciate it and can't wait until we fly out Friday.

So much I would like to see experience that I wish we were staying for a week. We are only staying until Monday though. Hoping to hit the coast for a quick view. Would love to see Redwoods but it seems those are too far south.

Like ATC Vol, we are driving down from Albany but not really sure where to park. ATC, are you parking downtown and taking that bus in? I might PM you for further info.

EDIT: Nevermind ATC, looks like Freak has PMs disabled due to spam right now.

Last edited:
Great advice from the Oregon fans. I appreciate it and can't wait until we fly out Friday.

So much I would like to see experience that I wish we were staying for a week. We are only staying until Monday though. Hoping to hit the coast for a quick view. Would love to see Redwoods but it seems those are too far south.

Like ATC Vol, we are driving down from Albany but not really sure where to park. ATC, are you parking downtown and taking that bus in? I might PM you for further info.

EDIT: Nevermind ATC, looks like Freak has PMs disabled due to spam right now.

I can send you an email if you'd like. We are going to take the bus. Looking at the downtown location, and a couple others.

Where in Albany are you staying?

If you are coming down from Albany you might consider using the park-n-ride option at Valley River Center, they also have direct shuttles to the game. $3.50 for adults, $1.75 for kids. Lane Transit District follow the riding ltd link. They have all the park and ride addresses so you can google/mapquest out your route.

VN Store

Back