Unoffical guide to all those traveling to the Oregon game. What to do/expect there.

If you are going from Flagstaff back to Denver, ye old trusty MapQuest suggests that Monument Valley, Canyonlands National Park (near Moab, Utah) and/or the Maroon Bells could potentially be worked into your itinerary. Should you choose to work your way farther north in Utah and then come back to Denver via I-70, the Uintah Mountains (see Uinta Mountains | Utah.com) in the northeastern corner of the state becomes a viable option. The Uintahs are a rare mountain range in the United States that runs from west to east and they contain the highest mountains in Utah.

If you are, by any chance, an aficionado of old trains, the southern San Juan range offers a couple of great experiences: the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad (Home | Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train) and the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad (On the Tracks | Cumbres & Toltec Railroad). If you haven't seen much of New Mexico, the area around Santa Fe, Taos, Angle Fire and Wheeler Peak is really pretty.

If you haven't been to Aspen before, the Maroon Bells (Maroon Bells - Aspen Colorado Mountains - Visitor Information) truly are a must-see destination. You want to take the Maroon Creek and Castle Creek Roads, which provide complementary views of that spectacular area. Incidentally, the aspens at Maroon Lake typically reach peak color around September 25th.

With respect to Yosemite, please be advised that there are still travel restrictions in place due to the wildfires. Presently, smoky conditions may still be encountered, depending on wind direction. I assume that you are already aware of it, but Glacier Point is an absolute must-see

in that park; it provides a truly awe-inspiring view down the length of Yosemite Valley, with El Capitan, Half Dome and Yosemite Falls all prominently visible.

Thanks, if we must make concessions for the rim fire we will,but yesterday it was said to be 80% contained. I have been to the maroon bells in the summer, but i have heard the area near grand staircase /escalante is worth visiting. I mtn bike have never been to moab. But i am not by myself have to take in to consideration the others. The narrow gauge is something thats interests us all. The ghost town does as well. Is this going to be somewhere we must be careful?

Last edited:
We're staying in Albany. Listening to you all talk about the traffic on I-5 and looking at the map; would taking highway 99 or 99E be quicker for us to get to Eugene on Saturday?

nice..
we're playing bandon dunes next monday... gonna be awesome
(I will answer the Albany question from that other poster in a min). Dude I am jelly. I have never yet played there. But I have had a few friend who worked there as caddies, made big bucks. I am no golf expert by any means, but from what all I have heard, it is a very heralded place. I am sure you will enjoy!

We're staying in Albany. Listening to you all talk about the traffic on I-5 and looking at the map; would taking highway 99 or 99E be quicker for us to get to Eugene on Saturday?
You could. I have never taken that full stretch of hy 99 there before, only parts. But honestly, if i had to guess. Naaa, waste of effort. Keep in mind gametime is 12:30pm. As long as you can leave Albany(this is just a guess) by like 10am, you will be totally fine. I think it's around a half hour or so from Albany to Eugene. I know for sure it is 2 hours from Portland to Eugene. And it is a hour from Portland to Salem. And if you went earlier then 10am, which you probably should do, like say, 8am. Dude, that is like 11am ET, your body/brain time. That would not remotely be early for your body.

Sorry if I scared you with bad I-5 traffic. Yes it can be bad, but that is only a hour or two before gametime. And much, as I said, depends on if OSU(who is near Albany) is also having a game.(which in this case they are not). And also, traffic is more worse from Portland to Salem. Once you pass south of Salem or Albany it kind of opens up from there. When they (OSU) does have one near sametime. You have all our Portland folks leaving near the same time to two major Colleges. So those Hundred thousand travelers both for UO and OSU leaving from Portland- it all gets jammed all the way until Albany. So you will be fine unless you only leave at like 11:30, and then several miles near Eugene it will be backed up really bad on I-5.

My only fear from you guys is that because of your bodies clock(you wired for 3 hours ahead of us in time) that many of you will leave like at 4am(7am your body time)and you will get there too soon, and NO ONE WILL EVEN BE THERE, lol. Seriously. We might have the best tailgating in the PAC, but we are NO WHERE NEAR SEC LEVEL! People do not show up really early here, or camp out the night before. Dude, you might find yourself literally being the only only one there. lol Just give yourself 2 hours before the game starts to arrive, at the very least, and any other hours before that leaving early will be a bonus! I really do have a gut feeling that all you Tenn guys will beat most Ducks to the Stadium. lol lol

Oh, and if you leave by say 9am, traffic will be a breeze on the freeway. And though the freeway speed is 65, you can cruse at 75 all day long. If you take hyway 99, 55mph. And you will not be able to speed much. So take I-5. If you do not wait until the last min before the game, you should be able to fly fast down there...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
So is rain basically to be expected every day this time of year?

Side note: how has UTVolKeith made it that many posts without being banned?

In Oregon we are known for our rain. However, a higher being has banned rain when the Ducks are playing at Autzen. I would not expect rain during the game. Might get enough to settle dust prior to or after, but NEVER during a game.

nice..
we're playing bandon dunes next monday... gonna be awesome
Oh, one other thing. Dress warm. I have been down to Bandon much. Got tons of friends down there and used to go there all the time. It will probably be around 65 degrees, and windy. I like that little town, but hate their weather there. I have never even once seen a truly semi warm day in the summer. It is always windy and cold. And the wind makes it seem colder then it is, kind of like your humidity in the south makes it feel much hotter then it is. So dress warm, bring sweaters/lite jackets ect...However, I have been there at Christmas, or even mid Jan, and it was like 65/ sunny and nice and I just wore a white tee-shirt, while in Portland it was freezing. Very odd. It's like their temp does not change year around it seems...I think they are in a very unique micro climate...

Oh, one other thing. Dress warm. I have been down to Bandon much. Got tons of friends down there and used to go there all the time. It will probably be around 65 degrees, and windy. I like that little town, but hate their weather there. I have never even once seen a truly semi warm day in the summer. It is always windy and cold. And the wind makes it seem colder then it is, kind of like your humidity in the south makes it feel much hotter then it is. So dress warm, bring sweaters/lite jackets ect...However, I have been there at Christmas, or even mid Jan, and it was like 65/ sunny and nice and I just wore a white tee-shirt, while in Portland it was freezing. Very odd. It's like their temp does not change year around it seems...I think they are in a very unique micro climate...

Isn't that the truth!!

In Oregon we are known for our rain. However, a higher being has banned rain when the Ducks are playing at Autzen. I would not expect rain during the game. Might get enough to settle dust prior to or after, but NEVER during a game.
LOL, my fellow Duck speaks the truth!!!:)

btw, GoDucks, I had been lurking on this site for several months. Thank you kind Sir for the way you repped us well here!!! You are one truly classy guy! I think it was all because of you, and how classy you are, that the head boss of this site gave me a waiver, when I contacted him, to be able to post here, on first post, with no 100 posts.

Anyways, I always enjoyed reading your stuff buddy. I too am a avid fly-fisherman like you. Perhaps one day we will meet and I can buy you a beer and you can tell me some of your stories of how the big ones got off. lol

-Thanks again and how you repped us. Pure Class.
-GO DUCKS!

btw. I am old school like you, though much younger, in my late 30's. But I very well remember the days way before 1994... Truly a Marvelous time to be a Duck. And if only we can get a great named D, like our Legendary Gang Green Defense, that would be awesome. And then the LSU's and Bama's of the world would not be able to score a single point and we would rack up 50 on them. I easily remember the days when our O sucked and we were known for our D. My how times have changed...

Thanks so much for the heads up on Eugene. My son and I are really looking forward to the trip. I have a few questions. 1. Is the Phoenix Inn a decent stay and what is the walk to Autzen Stadium like from there? 2. We are whitewater rafting on the McKenzie River. It is a decent place to raft? 3. How far is the drive to Portland from Eugene? Thanks.

I first rowed the McKenzie about 30 years ago and I've probably been down it a few hundred times. I'm assuming you're using a guide service. That usually means putting in up near Blue River and getting out at Helfrich (same name as the Oregon coach) landing. It's a beautiful run, some nice rapids along the way, Browns Hole, Eagle Rock, and Martin's Rapid at the end. Honestly, Browns Hole may not look like much and with a good guide you will probably think it isn't much, but in my opinion, it's the place where people get in the most trouble. I've pulled a few swimmers out of there. Martin's is a lot of fun and it's at the end of the run. Have a good time. Maybe you'll see some Osprey or Eagles along the way.

I'd still recommend taking I-5. As a "local", I grew up in Albany, their are ways to get there. If you are interested in going the back roads check out the route through Peoria, it's a good two lane road.

Also, most of the really slow traffic on I-5 is North of Albany on game day. It's 42 miles from Albany to Eugene and I'd guess it will take an hour, plus or minus, on game day. All depends on what time of morning you leave.

LOL, my fellow Duck speaks the truth!!!:)

btw, GoDucks, I had been lurking on this site for several months. Thank you kind Sir for the way you repped us well here!!! You are one truly classy guy! I think it was all because of you, and how classy you are, that the head boss of this site gave me a waiver, when I contacted him, to be able to post here, on first post, with no 100 posts.

Anyways, I always enjoyed reading your stuff buddy. I too am a avid fly-fisherman like you. Perhaps one day we will meet and I can buy you a beer and you can tell me some of your stories of how the big ones got off. lol

-Thanks again and how you repped us. Pure Class.
-GO DUCKS!

btw. I am old school like you, though much younger, in my late 30's. But I very well remember the days way before 1994... Truly a Marvelous time to be a Duck. And if only we can get a great named D, like our Legendary Gang Green Defense, that would be awesome. And then the LSU's and Bama's of the world would not be able to score a single point and we would rack up 50 on them. I easily remember the days when our O sucked and we were known for our D. My how times have changed...

Thanks, You'll love this, I'm retired on a little over an acre with 120 feet of river front on the North Middle Fork of the Willamette. I've got a very rustic boat landing about a quarter mile from the house on the Middle Fork. Note: BIG fish in the Middle Fork, not long ago my wife got a 18 inch native Rainbow (barbless, catch and release only is our style), I got a few 14 inch natives and a neighbor got a 22 and 24 last year. Guides don't work it too much up here cause it's a short run and it's typically too far for the PDX crowd.

Life is good. :)

What to see on the coast? We are staying in Florence and up the coast for a few days?

Head either to Mt. Hood or Cannon Beach, both 1.5 hrs drive from Portland.

The Timberline lodge at the foot of Mt. Hood was the exterior lodge from The Shining.

Haystack Rock on Cannon Beach was featured in The Goonies.

Thanks, You'll love this, I'm retired on a little over an acre with 120 feet of river front on the North Middle Fork of the Willamette. I've got a very rustic boat landing about a quarter mile from the house on the Middle Fork. Note: BIG fish in the Middle Fork, not long ago my wife got a 18 inch native Rainbow (barbless, catch and release only is our style), I got a few 14 inch natives and a neighbor got a 22 and 24 last year. Guides don't work it too much up here cause it's a short run and it's typically too far for the PDX crowd.

Life is good. :)
You lucky Dog. I would give a arm, or even both to have a river front house on major fishing. I even came into some money a few years ago and hunted relentlessly for such a place, weekend retreat/cabin/summer house/extra house along the Sandy, Salmon, Clackamas, Nehalem(my personal favorite)and many other rivers semi close to Portland. Man, they just go for too much. It is my personal dream in life to own a place like yours. I finally thought I had found it. On the Nehalem(upper) and all state forest land all around, no other homes even remotely near it, all isolated, except for one house a mile away, 10 miles besides that, all isolated. A two story homemade cabin. Personally I would of loved to live there, but too far to commute to PDX. About a half hour in from the coast from the town of Nehalem. I did not see any power lines to his cabin. (my favorite fishing whole is .5 mile down from his cabin. no one on the planet knows this hole(which is actually a long stretch along a big bend with tons of super deep holes). I have to hike down to get to it. And behind his cabin are the sweetest, deepest, dream holes one can every find on that stretch of river, even better then my secret hole). So I did tax research, online, to try to find(stalk) the owner to see if he would be open to selling it. And after much time, I finally found it. Older retired guy owns it, no sons, just daughters, and a Portland guy. It was on 18 acres. (I would of been happy with 1-3). And it seems to have built it without permits, as it was just listed as only land, and that special forest type land, ie low tax rate. He only was charged like 120 bucks/year. So I found his address, and tried stalking him for a year, never able to catch anyone home. Finally did, his wife had died, (no sons to pass it on too). I thought I would offer 50 grand, and even as high as 200 grand. (for I wanted it really bad). And ya, the guy was willing to sell he told me in his dinning room. But at 1.5 million. lol

I was heart broken! I have never seen a more beautiful piece of property in my whole life. And it was major isolated. All I could think was the joy of fishing out of my backyard, lol. It was truly a fly-fishermans paradise. And I was already planning on a 2.5 hour commute, lol. Had my life all planned. And he had to get all greedy and dreamy on me. LOL.... And it was only a simple two story cabin, nothing fancy. But that water, that property. He had the best fishing holes in Oregon, and did not even know it cause he does not even freaking fish. LOL URRRRRRRRRRRRR I am still ticked about that!!! LOL

I envy you buddy. I love many rivers. But when I see great rivers, loaded with all kinds of native trout, even better tons of steelhead, and even Salmon, and in that case, actually Ocean going Brown Trout too, mixed with in the Mountains,,,and then you add total isolated, not being bugged by cars driving by much on any roads nearby,,,,man, it was pure heaven. And those woods, the whole scenery, I just love that place. That whole stretch, all the way from Hyway 26 south along that country road, until the junction near Nehalem. That whole part of the Coastal Mnt Range just blow me away. But honestly, I would take any riverfront property on any decent river. I would be the happiest guy on earth! I do envy you buddy!!!

Last edited:
I was in Portland for about a month in 1999 when I had a traveling job. Took in all the sights that were mentioned in the OP. Cannon Beach was my favorite. Cool stuff for sure. We were there in during the UT/UF game and stopped in a little place called "The Shanty" to watch the game because it didn't look too crowded and they had a big screen. The bartender was really friendly and didn't mind at all to let us watch the game. He turned us on to some steamed clams that were the most delicious I've ever had. We had a great time watching the game. Unfortunately the Vols lost that one but we were in a great place to drown our sorrows. I wonder if "The Shanty" is still there. I can't remember exactly where it was but it was a great experience.

Last edited:
You lucky Dog. I would give a arm, or even both to have a river front house on major fishing. I even came into some money a few years ago and hunted relentlessly for such a place, weekend retreat/cabin/summer house/extra house along the Sandy, Salmon, Clackamas, Nehalem(my personal favorite)and many other rivers semi close to Portland. Man, they just go for too much. It is my personal dream in life to own a place like yours. I finally thought I had found it. On the Nehalem(upper) and all state forest land all around, no other homes even remotely near it, all isolated, except for one house a mile away, 10 miles besides that, all isolated. A two story homemade cabin. Personally I would of loved to live there, but too far to commute to PDX. About a half hour in from the coast from the town of Nehalem. I did not see any power lines to his cabin. (my favorite fishing whole is .5 mile down from his cabin. no one on the planet knows this hole(which is actually a long stretch along a big bend with tons of super deep holes). I have to hike down to get to it. And behind his cabin are the sweetest, deepest, dream holes one can every find on that stretch of river, even better then my secret hole). So I did tax research, online, to try to find(stalk) the owner to see if he would be open to selling it. And after much time, I finally found it. Older retired guy owns it, no sons, just daughters, and a Portland guy. It was on 18 acres. (I would of been happy with 1-3). And it seems to have built it without permits, as it was just listed as only land, and that special forest type land, ie low tax rate. He only was charged like 120 bucks/year. So I found his address, and tried stalking him for a year, never able to catch anyone home. Finally did, his wife had died, (no sons to pass it on too). I thought I would offer 50 grand, and even as high as 200 grand. (for I wanted it really bad). And ya, the guy was willing to sell he told me in his dinning room. But at 1.5 million. lol

I was heart broken! I have never seen a more beautiful piece of property in my whole life. And it was major isolated. All I could think was the joy of fishing out of my backyard, lol. It was truly a fly-fishermans paradise. And I was already planning on a 2.5 hour commute, lol. Had my life all planned. And he had to get all greedy and dreamy on me. LOL.... And it was only a simple two story cabin, nothing fancy. But that water, that property. He had the best fishing holes in Oregon, and did not even know it cause he does not even freaking fish. LOL URRRRRRRRRRRRR I am still ticked about that!!! LOL

I envy you buddy. I love many rivers. But when I see great rivers, loaded with all kinds of native trout, even better tons of steelhead, and even Salmon, and in that case, actually Ocean going Brown Trout too, mixed with in the Mountains,,,and then you add total isolated, not being bugged by cars driving by much on any roads nearby,,,,man, it was pure heaven. And those woods, the whole scenery, I just love that place. That whole stretch, all the way from Hyway 26 south along that country road, until the junction near Nehalem. That whole part of the Coastal Mnt Range just blow me away. But honestly, I would take any riverfront property on any decent river. I would be the happiest guy on earth! I do envy you buddy!!!

The river front by my house isn't good fishing, water's too warm. But..... within a mile or two there's some pretty nice holes. It's about 140 miles to PDX (I commuted it weekly for 6 months right before retiring) and property is relatively inexpensive here. My place is probably the nicest place in the area, custom 2400 sq ft home 6 years old. Plus, it's sunnier up here than it is down in the valley, we're at 1000 feet elevation, above the valley clouds and below the snow line.

Check out "redfin" as a real estate search tool. That's how I found my place.

The river front by my house isn't good fishing, water's too warm. But..... within a mile or two there's some pretty nice holes. It's about 140 miles to PDX (I commuted it weekly for 6 months right before retiring) and property is relatively inexpensive here. My place is probably the nicest place in the area, custom 2400 sq ft home 6 years old. Plus, it's sunnier up here than it is down in the valley, we're at 1000 feet elevation, above the valley clouds and below the snow line.

Check out "redfin" as a real estate search tool. That's how I found my place.
Thanks for the tip. But what is Redfin?

*sorry, I just googled and now I now.... Thanks buddy!

Head either to Mt. Hood or Cannon Beach, both 1.5 hrs drive from Portland.

The Timberline lodge at the foot of Mt. Hood was the exterior lodge from The Shining.

Haystack Rock on Cannon Beach was featured in The Goonies.

Cannon Beach is a long drive from Florence. If you like micro brews, another suggestion on the coast is in Pacific City. There is a really cool dune you can climb with an incredible view. The Pelican Brewery is right there and has good food and drinks.

Cannon Beach is a long drive from Florence. If you like micro brews, another suggestion on the coast is in Pacific City. There is a really cool dune you can climb with an incredible view. The Pelican Brewery is right there and has good food and drinks.
So do you and your Hubby have kids? And if so, are they Ducks or Vols? lol

I do need to add to this conversation, the day before was simply a blast with the OU fans at Calhoun's on the river. And like you said we welcome all of them at the before party, the OOOOOO kinda got a little old but "I'm sure they didn't like the Its Great to be a Tennessee Vol" either
. I tried to schedule a vacation to get to Eugene but it didn't work out, so heres to watching on TV.

As comparisons on stadiums noise levels, Neyland will be its normal self as CBJ brings UT back to prominence, he is working on Awaking a sleep giant call Volunteer Fan base.

Cool! Hopefully you have a great time as you get to see another part of our Country. And forgive any rude Duck fans harassing ya that may come.(hopefully will not come, but MAY come) It is just that out here we do not like the SEC. And you are part of the SEC. Out West we have very little respect for the SEC. Besides your school, and a few rare exceptions(LSU for instance) SEC schools refuse to play out West. USC beat the crap out of them some years back and they refuse to schedule PAC teams home/home. That, and many Ducks who went to the LSU game at Dallas had tons of guys trying to pick fights. (and there are many other reason way too long to list, like Auburn ect...)

So some of you Tenn people MAY experience some hostility, but it really is not directed at you per say, but more via the Conference you play in- hate that way. So if you any of you get picked on, as I said in my OP, just remind them that your people treated us Oregonians very nicely and they probably will instantly shut up and leave you alone... But in the Stadium, not one Tenn fan will get anything thrown at them or anything(like LSU's stadium has a rep for). Just outside, while walking around, one might get a few words thrown at them- again, not Tenn disgust, just SEC in general disgust.

Regardless, I hope you have a really good time and await you coming back here to post how your trip was.

Yeah, just about every other conference's fans have the same inferiority complex when it comes to the SEC. I think it is worse here than anywhere else I've been. And maybe that's because Oregon has a good program and they know it. And many of them assume that SEC fans don't acknowledge that they have a great team and don't respect them. But we do. We do respect you.

So let's just have a good game and may the better team win.

Last edited:
I've always kind of wanted to visit Oregon. Any state that encourages people NOT to move there is A-Ok in my book.

That was a long time ago. Still Californians got their egos hurt. They'd never considered the possibility that just perhaps some place else might be very nice and then be told they weren't welcome to stay, visit yes, stay no. LOL

VN Store

Back