Vaccine or not?

Williamson County Medical Center issued a press release a couple of hours ago saying that they have 22 Covid patients after having none as of June 17th. All but 1 are unvaccinated.

Reactions: AM64 and ohhbother
I think it's now safe to say that the mRNA vaccines do not work as well vs Delta but they do work somewhat. I think we'll see a Delta booster of sorts in the Fall...but the next question is, will it be effective vs Epsilon and so on...
If we go back to what has always been known since March 2020... there have never been any successful vaccines for coronaviruses. Why are we trying to fight this?

Williamson County Medical Center issued a press release a couple of hours ago saying that they have 22 Covid patients after having none as of June 17th. All but 1 are unvaccinated.

Yes -- should have mentioned our health system (in South Carolina) was at zero COVID-19-positive inpatients a month or so ago. First time we'd been there in over a year -- and now admissions are surging again.

Reactions: AM64
Yes -- should have mentioned our health system (in South Carolina) was at zero COVID-19-positive inpatients a month or so ago. First time we'd been there in over a year -- and now admissions are surging again.
So do you advocate for masking up the vaccine takers?

If we go back to what has always been known since March 2020... there have never been any successful vaccines for coronaviruses. Why are we trying to fight this?

If the vaccine turns C19 from a deadly virus to "a cold" then it's successful. I marvel at some here on VN who proudly say that they're C19 survivors but also talk about how their sense of taste/smell have not returned or other side effects. I want no part of that. If a vax keeps me from long C19 symptoms then I want it

Reactions: AM64
I never told you or anybody else whether you should get it or why. I criticized two or three misleading statements that other people had made and explained why I didn’t think your comment to me was relevant to vaccine decision-making. That’s pretty much it.

There isn’t really anything in this post that I disagree with other than that it’s purely ego-centric. I saw your reasoning for that in a prior post and while I have reason to believe it’s inaccurate, I don’t know for sure. 🤷🏻‍♂️
What’s inaccurate?

If the vaccine turns C19 from a deadly virus to "a cold" then it's successful. I marvel at some here on VN who proudly say that they're C19 survivors but also talk about how their sense of taste/smell have not returned or other side effects. I want no part of that. If a vax keeps me from long C19 symptoms then I want it
I'm not stopping you. But why force others to take it?

Reactions: Sea Ray
You didn't make that claim. You said vaccines are working for the family mentioned. There is no way you believe half of the crap you type.

Would you buy the reverse analogy? Vaccine was a waste in a patient that survived Covid unvaxed.

That third sentence is up for debate. There is evidence that the belief exists, as crazy and sad as that is. Could be trollin’ could just be completely moronic. It’s even money at this point.

Reactions: jp1
What’s inaccurate?
I don’t know that it is inaccurate, that’s why I didn’t say anything, but I don’t think you’re correct that getting the vaccine has no effect on your chances to spread Covid.

The original Pfizer study showed a low rate of infection among vaccinated individuals.

Presently, several countries are dealing with a surge of a variant that’s supposedly more infectious and people who were previously being cautious are no longer doing so. So the situational factors would favor more community spread. It’s early to say the situation in the UK is completely over, but despite these situational factors their most recent 7-day trend line last peaked at about 80% of the January wave. I can’t read Israel’s website, and Google translate isn’t sufficient.

If you are less likely to contract the virus, you are definitionally less likely to spread the virus.

There are too many variables and things beyond the scope of my knowledge to say that definitively, but my suspicion is that there is still some preventative value to the vaccine.

For now, yes. -- because the honor system wasn't working. Saying vaccinated individuals could drop masks led everyone to drop masks whether vaccinated or not.
Sounds like you promote mandatory vaccination? I really don't GAF if someone that is unvaccinated gets covid, why would you?

I think it's now safe to say that the mRNA vaccines do not work as well vs Delta but they do work somewhat. I think we'll see a Delta booster of sorts in the Fall...but the next question is, will it be effective vs Epsilon and so on...
I do hope the early data on less severe illness holds up. Completely agree on future variants... Could be the downfall of this type of vaccine, due to the specific nature of the RNA coded target.

I don’t know that it is inaccurate, that’s why I didn’t say anything, but I don’t think you’re correct that getting the vaccine has no effect on your chances to spread Covid.

The original Pfizer study showed a low rate of infection among vaccinated individuals.

Presently, several countries are dealing with a surge of a variant that’s supposedly more infectious and people who were previously being cautious are no longer doing so. So the situational factors would favor more community spread. It’s early to say the situation in the UK is completely over, but despite these situational factors their most recent 7-day trend line last peaked at about 80% of the January wave. I can’t read Israel’s website, and Google translate isn’t sufficient.

If you are less likely to contract the virus, you are definitionally less likely to spread the virus.

There are too many variables and things beyond the scope of my knowledge to say that definitively, but my suspicion is that there is still some preventative value to the vaccine.
I don’t recall saying it has no effect on your ability to transmit it. The premise of them were to at least minimize your transmissibility but we knew it wouldn’t be 100%. Now we’re seeing with “Delta” that there’s no real difference in transmissibility according to our overlords; hence why they're telling vaccinated individuals to mask up.

On another note, I believe you overemphasize the timeline of laxation that took place as a result of vaccine availability. I can only speak for my world and my immediate family’s world (as it pertains to where they live) and people in those places gave up or rebuked the advice long before vaccination was available. Masks were never enforced in many places in AL (except Wal Mart, Target and Costco) despite the mandate, the longer the mandate went on the more the masks came off. Restaurants were instantly at 50/75/100% capacity respectively once they were reopened and capacity increased. I never saw a decrease in grocery store or retail traffic as soon as the capacity restrictions were lifted. I’d question how many people truly avoided visiting/interacting with “at risk” family and friends over the last 18 months. I imagine most would rather take their chances with Covid infection and visit family than stay isolated out of fear.

Last edited:
How...if 100% are vaxed and infection rate is still 1 on 10...how did the help...?? All it did was change what not a full percentage point of safety??

When we get somewhere close to a population that is 100% vaxxed, then this will be an apt question. As of this moment, it's a hypothetical designed to beg the question in lieu of anything meaningful.

The survival rate of the 30-39 age group (mine) pre-vaccination availability was 99.997%. WTF would I get a vaccine that’s unproven, change my lifestyle, socially distance, wear a mask etc. for an extra .002% chance of survival? I’ve done absolutely 0 form of Covid prevention since Jan 2020 (as has my entire family) and we’ve either not been infected or had it and not known it. My mother was flying to FL (DeSantis’ Covid hell) every month, a week at a time for an entire year, she fits damn near every category of high-risk and not only is she not dead, she’s not been sick in the slightest. If this is transmissible as the MSM and bureaucratic doctors would lead us to believe, then the odds of catching it while sitting on an airplane/in an airport 24x would have to be exponentially high. So it has to be one of the following scenarios for those who have refused to alter lifestyles:

A) we haven’t caught it cause it’s not overly transmissible

B) we had it and it’s so weak in a large population that we don’t even know we had it

C) there’s some form of predisposed immunity/antibodies that prevent contagion

D) we’ve all just been extremely lucky somehow
I am right there with you. And I slop around in hospitals every day.

This virus has made smart people dumber. And dumb people brain dead.

I’m ignoring his attempt at a deflection, yes. Going to ignore yours too.
You define the situation to suit your stance, just as he did. Should he have ignored your post as deflection?

Or should everyone admit that there are multiple valid stances to take and address?

Reactions: whodeycin85
Again, this doesn't provide enough context. 100 unvaccinated out of 1000 total cases may not be sufficiently notable. However, if 85% of the total population is vaccinated, and 100 cases come of the remaining 15%, that's very worrisome.
But that's the context of Covid. 36 million infected out of 330 million. ~10% (cumulative total) was enough to freak out over.

Now we arent supposed to freak out over much more than 10%? Your context seems heavily suited to whatever fits your argument rather than some established objective metric.

VN Store

Back