Vaccine or not?

Holy ****?
Do people really not understand that?

I completely understand that, my frustration is trying to find reliable information on reinfection rates. That would help in making informed decisions but it's almost like that data is being hidden.

Reactions: C-south
The number of unknowns is the worst part of this ****** disease. I’m sure we’ll understand it a lot better in a few years but not soon enough.
I think this thing is here to stay.
We will be fighting it for years to come.
You’re right though. It’s on the job training and I look forward to the asshats that are going to freak out when a different vaccine is required to fight future versions. Kinda like influenza

Reactions: AM64
Stop worrying what others do with their lives. If we want to kill ourselves avoiding the vaccine (as you p***y’s think happens in every other case) why do you care so much? Honest question. Since your vaccinated you can’t say it’s to protect others; you’re protected. I’m in awe at how “charitable” and “empathetic” of a country we’ve become through this. Once Covid is over maybe we can continue this newfound level of humanness and up our charitable givings, donate more of our time at functions/organizations that care for the less fortunate, actually recognize the 750k murders every year in the womb and care for them, etc.

Some observations:

1) What you've written has nothing to do with the post of Orangeslice13 to which you've replied. The reader is left with the impression that you're unable to rebut his assertion.

2) It's precisely because Orangeslice13 is vaccinated that he can say his concern is to protect others.

3) If the risk of ignoring mitigation measures (whether vaccination, masking, or social distancing) accrued only to those who chose to ignore them, there'd be no reason not to allow others to assume that risk and its consequences. What's missing from this consideration, however, is that 1) children under the age of twelve (some of whom are vulnerable to devastating complications from covid) are not yet eligible for vaccination, and 2) there is a non-negligible number of immunocompromised persons who will not achieve immunity from the vaccine.

4) I'm very glad to read that you recognize the sanctity of human life from the moment of conception. As a prolife Christian, I've been disturbed by how many of those who profess to be prolife have betrayed in their sentiments concerning the wearing of masks and social-distancing the same misanthropic, atomistic, social-Darwinistic "morality" that has long been manifest among those who advocate for abortion. The person unwilling to wear a mask for his vulnerable neighbor is unlikely to acquit himself honorably as father or mother in a crisis pregnancy.

Last edited:
I completely understand that, my frustration is trying to find reliable information on reinfection rates. That would help in making informed decisions but it's almost like that data is being hidden.
Jerusalem post is giving clean data out of Israel. It’s really bad news for those who took the oxford vaccine. Not great for phiser. The moderna seems to be holding up.
It just is what it is. You’re talking a chance either with or without vaccine. It’s pretty obvious that the vaccine is helping but if the unknown is too much for people to deal with then it’s their right to choose to remain unvaccinated

Jerusalem post is giving clean data out of Israel. It’s really bad news for those who took the oxford vaccine. Not great for phiser. The moderna seems to be holding up.
It just is what it is. You’re talking a chance either with or without vaccine. It’s pretty obvious that the vaccine is helping but if the unknown is too much for people to deal with then it’s their right to choose to remain unvaccinated

I think the information Hogg was talking about was reinfection rates for those who previously had Covid. The actual rates and severity of those who became reinfected would be good information to know.

Reactions: hog88

It's not a running rate, but here's a focused study from earlier this year:

Reinfection Rates among Patients who Previously Tested Positive for COVID-19: a Retrospective Cohort Study - PubMed

Results: Of 150,325 patients, 8,845 (5.9%) tested positive and 141,480 (94.1%) tested negative prior to August 30. 1,278 (14.4%) of the positive patients were retested after 90 days, and 62 had possible reinfection. Of those, 31 (50%) were symptomatic. Of those with initial negative testing, 5,449 (3.9%) were subsequently positive and 3,191 of those (58.5%) were symptomatic. Protection offered from prior infection was 81.8% (95% confidence interval 76.6 to 85.8), and against symptomatic infection was 84.5% (95% confidence interval 77.9 to 89.1). This protection increased over time.

And another from June that focuses on severe cases:

Study Finds COVID-19 Reinfection Rate Less Than 1% for Those with Severe Illness

They found 63 of the 9,119 patients (0.7%) with severe COVID-19 infection contracted the virus a second time, with a mean reinfection period of 116 days. Of the 63 who were reinfected, two (3.2%) died. Patients categorized as non-white were at greater risk of reinfection than white patients.

Last edited:
It's what the vaccine may do to you in a few years that's causing a lot of the hesitancy. Everyday, we see something about some drug or medical device that is generating a class action suit. Everything from talcum powder to hernia mesh seems to have problems. I remember several years ago, doctors prescribed fen-phen diet pills. Doctors claimed it was safe and all kinds of fat people, short on willpower, knocked the doors down to get the prescription. Later, it was discovered it damaged your heart valves...making them rattle like a '78 Ford 302. Older people are making the mental calculation that they will die of covid before something like those damaged valves, so they are getting vaccinated. Younger people are making a different calculation.
Very rational to consider long term effects of any medical product received and it’s hard to argue against uncertainty. You bring up good points with previous recalled medication. While there are many medications taken off the market there has never been a vaccine with proven side effects seen more than a year out of receiving it resulting in it being stopped. Meaning as was the case of the 1976 swine flu vaccine or the recent dengue vaccine or the inactivated polio vaccine in the 1950s that had serious adverse events it was demonstrated fairly quickly these vaccines caused harm. While mrna vaccines are new there is still 10+ years of clinical trials with thousands of people receiving this technology without any noted delayed adverse events. But can we say for certain in the future there won’t be some unknown thing that pops up with this vaccine? No. Am I confident that me using my iPhone to respond to this post won’t eventually cause me cancer? Well I trust that years of research on radiation emitted from cell phones has demonstrated risk is negligible but are there long term studies that prove it? No but I trust the advancement of science which has led to the betterment of mankind telling me the risk of cancer with this iPhone is nonexistent. Same way I trust these vaccines.

Reactions: AM64 and DuckInAPen
Do you have a link to their numbers in English? The website was in Hebrew and even using the translate function on the Google app it wasn’t always clear what I was looking at.

VN Store

Back