War in Ukraine

Interesting

WSJ News Exclusive | NATO’s Biggest European Members Float Defense Pact With Ukraine

But the public rhetoric masks deepening private doubts among politicians in the U.K., France and Germany that Ukraine will be able to expel the Russians from eastern Ukraine and Crimea, which Russia has controlled since 2014, and a belief that the West can only help sustain the war effort for so long, especially if the conflict settles into a stalemate, officials from the three countries say.

“We keep repeating that Russia mustn’t win, but what does that mean? If the war goes on for long enough with this intensity, Ukraine’s losses will become unbearable,” a senior French official said. “And no one believes they will be able to retrieve Crimea.”

Such talk contrasts sharply with public comments this week by President Biden and other Western leaders, who called for unity in the face of what they termed Russian aggression. None mentioned the prospect of Kyiv opening talks with Moscow in the near future.
Holy cow. An actual binding mutual defense pact is terrifying to consider within the time of the current ongoing conflict.

Interesting

WSJ News Exclusive | NATO’s Biggest European Members Float Defense Pact With Ukraine

But the public rhetoric masks deepening private doubts among politicians in the U.K., France and Germany that Ukraine will be able to expel the Russians from eastern Ukraine and Crimea, which Russia has controlled since 2014, and a belief that the West can only help sustain the war effort for so long, especially if the conflict settles into a stalemate, officials from the three countries say.

“We keep repeating that Russia mustn’t win, but what does that mean? If the war goes on for long enough with this intensity, Ukraine’s losses will become unbearable,” a senior French official said. “And no one believes they will be able to retrieve Crimea.”

Such talk contrasts sharply with public comments this week by President Biden and other Western leaders, who called for unity in the face of what they termed Russian aggression. None mentioned the prospect of Kyiv opening talks with Moscow in the near future.
It's a valid question that I've thought about since last year when the US/Europe started pledging money/weapons to Ukraine. But it doesn't seem like there's been any discussion about that. At least not publicly.

Is there any sort of plan or goal or is it just let Ukraine fight until they no longer want to? I don't see Russia backing down and I don't think Ukraine will re-take and hold whatever territory they want. I also don't see Russia agreeing to any truce or stoppage that doesn't give them everything they want.

Oh I definitely could care less. The circumstances surrounding this conflict are enough for me to care about. Especially once you see the reaction of government had.

I am generally interested in international affairs, more so than internal affairs. It's just the way I am wired after 9-11
Couldn’t* 😬

What happens over there (Europe) has resulted in American intervention with actual combat troops in the past. Europe is one place we can not ignore and we have vital interest in maintaining the peace and security there.
I do think they should recognize it’s in their own best interest to take the lead on funding their own defense and not lean on the US NATO funding as much. That’s a valid complaint. But we have seen commitments at least in the last year to move down that path finally. Time will tell if they stick to it after this current situation is resolved.

No, I just question anyone who is so ignorant of how military aid works, that they think the US is basically flying pallets of cash to Ukraine and rolling it into Zelenky's office, giving him a wink, and walking away.
Aid to Ukraine Explained in Six Charts

Your seeming obsession with "Ukrainian corruption", is just an attempt to mask your support for Russia.

View attachment 537969
View attachment 537968
https://www.transparency.org/en/
"Support for Russia" LOL you are clown and can't be taken seriously

"Support for Russia" LOL you are clown and can't be taken seriously

You're pretty transparent. We see the same "budget deficit crocodile tears" being cried by numerous others who pretend that they are "just concerned about tax payer dollars", all the while ignoring reality, precedent, history, obligations, etc.

It's nothing new.

It's a valid question that I've thought about since last year when the US/Europe started pledging money/weapons to Ukraine. But it doesn't seem like there's been any discussion about that. At least not publicly.

Is there any sort of plan or goal or is it just let Ukraine fight until they no longer want to? I don't see Russia backing down and I don't think Ukraine will re-take and hold whatever territory they want. I also don't see Russia agreeing to any truce or stoppage that doesn't give them everything they want.

There is no plan other than bleeding the US taxpayer dry.

You're pretty transparent. We see the same "budget deficit crocodile tears" being cried by numerous others who pretend that they are "just concerned about tax payer dollars", all the while ignoring reality, precedent, history, obligations, etc.

It's nothing new.

What's the end game? How long do we continue to fund Ukraine? Do we keep this up for another year, 2 years, 5 years? What happens if the Russians break through and take Ukraine? I think our government owes us these answers?

Reactions: OrangeBoro
We have huge stockpiles just like Russia. We have multiple caches stored strategically around the globe. There was discussion recently to start drawing down the cache in Israel to assist short term in Ukraine. I’d infer most talk of ramping up production is to backfill those caches.
Eh, Israel might be needing that right about now

What's the end game? How long do we continue to fund Ukraine? Do we keep this up for another year, 2 years, 5 years? What happens if the Russians break through and take Ukraine? I think our government owes us these answers?

Why does that have to be decided right at this moment? Ukraine is still willing to fight to defend their country, the EU is still willing to send them aid, and Russia's economy is being crushed by sanctions.

VN Store

Back