War in Ukraine

Disagree.

Example: Fed money goes towards the construction of a new bridge here in the Outer Banks. This is an outlay, but it also generates ROI in the form of both increased tourism and resulting taxes paid on the local, state and fed level. Everyone wins.
we aren't 34 trillion in debt building a road to the Outer Banks.

and it entirely depends on how much return you are getting. the bridge to nowhere is an example that got remarkably far along before finally getting axed. plenty of it out there that gets built. you have Baltimore's Highway to nowhere that was mostly built, I doubt even you can find an ROI from that one.

Here is a chart of our debt. show me any chart on standard of living that somewhat follows these trends. I will wait.

28393.jpeg
Logarithmic scale is your friend. Try it sometime. You'll find it less... distressing.

As for your question, standard of living, huh? Begs the question... do you love your country or not? If no, I'd suggest move somewhere else. No reason you can't.

FWIW, in the United Nations Human Development Index, which measures health, education, and per capita income levels, the United States is relatively high, currently ranking 8th.

Meanwhile, as of 2021 (the latest available data), federal debt reached 115 percent of gross domestic product (GDP), ranking the US 16th highest out of 164 countries for which the IMF has data.

we aren't 34 trillion in debt building a road to the Outer Banks.

and it entirely depends on how much return you are getting. the bridge to nowhere is an example that got remarkably far along before finally getting axed. plenty of it out there that gets built. you have Baltimore's Highway to nowhere that was mostly built, I doubt even you can find an ROI from that one.

Again. You sound bitter. If you don't like our government, move somewhere else.

Just got back from Iceland. They don't waste money on national defense (save a coast guard force), it's the size of Ohio with 1/25th the people, they don't spend much government money on roads, billboards are not allowed, healthcare is free, they drink like fish, the women are hot, and everyone eats a lot of hot dogs.

Last edited:
Ok. there are some tangible things purchased with our debt. I disagree it is the responsibility of Americans to fund a bridge for North Carolinians but putting that aside for the moment... Any idea on the outlays for these tangible items compared to intangible, waste, etc?
Nope. I'm sure there's plenty of data out there about government waste. It happens.

Nope. I'm sure there's plenty of data out there about government waste. It happens.
I don't think you should plant your flag on tangible infrastructure projects which are debt financed which is part of the larger discussion vis a vis national debt while being in the dark on the non-tangible spending.

I don't think you should plant your flag on tangible infrastructure projects which are debt financed which is part of the larger discussion vis a vis national debt while being in the dark on the non-tangible spending.
Why not?

The government building a natural park is a perfect example. This is an intangible asset. Alternatively, it could build a park featuring working oil derricks and strip mining.

Quality of life.

What kind of world you want to live in?

Last edited:
Why not?

The government building a natural park is a perfect example. This is an intangible asset. Alternatively, it could build a park featuring working oil derricks and strip mining.

Quality of life.

How do you define intangible?

Why not?

Quality of life.

How does one build a national park?

Reactions: norrislakevol
Logarithmic scale is your friend. Try it sometime. You'll find it less... distressing.

As for your question, standard of living, huh? Begs the question... do you love your country or not? If no, I'd suggest move somewhere else. No reason you can't.

FWIW, in the United Nations Human Development Index, which measures health, education, and per capita income levels, the United States is relatively high, currently ranking 8th.

Meanwhile, as of 2021 (the latest available data), federal debt reached 115 percent of gross domestic product (GDP), ranking the US 16th highest out of 164 countries for which the IMF has data.
I love the country, hate the government. two VASTLY different things. but if you think Biden and Trump actually ARE this country, well that just another example of how you are too smart for me.

the US has had a high standard of living for a long time, pointing out that it is high now doesn't tell anyone how it has changed. I asked for the change.

so what was our standard of living and debt ratio 25 years ago, and 50 years ago? willing to bet our debt ratio has changed a lot more for the worse than our standard of living has increased.

you have yet to establish that those two metrics are actually positively correlated; or more importantly for your argument that the increased debt ratio is the CAUSE of the increase in the standard of living you are claiming but again haven't supported.

I love the country, hate the government. two VASTLY different things. but if you think Biden and Trump actually ARE this country, well that just another example of how you are too smart for me.

the US has had a high standard of living for a long time, pointing out that it is high now doesn't tell anyone how it has changed. I asked for the change.

so what was our standard of living and debt ratio 25 years ago, and 50 years ago? willing to bet our debt ratio has changed a lot more for the worse than our standard of living has increased.

you have yet to establish that those two metrics are actually positively correlated; or more importantly for your argument that the increased debt ratio is the CAUSE of the increase in the standard of living you are claiming but again haven't supported.

To Monty the Government is the Country.

Again. You sound bitter. If you don't like our government, move somewhere else.

Just got back from Iceland. They don't waste money on national defense (save a coast guard force), it's the size of Ohio with 1/25th the people, they don't spend much government money on roads, billboards are not allowed, healthcare is free, they drink like fish, the women are hot, and everyone eats a lot of hot dogs.
sounds like you are the one who needs to move. and the reason they don't spend money on a national defense force is because we spend as much as we do. we can't socialize our own healthcare because you are out here making sure we pay for everyone else's military.

How about you find a standard of living historical chart.

I'll provide the debt ratio chart.

sounds like you are the one who needs to move. and the reason they don't spend money on a national defense force is because we spend as much as we do. we can't socialize our own healthcare because you are out here making sure we pay for everyone else's military.
Curious. So your view is **** Ukraine. Let Russia take it. We shouldn't spend our tax money on its defense.

Am I summarizing your view correctly?

I think the entire female gender made that collective decision regarding me. :(
I could introduce you to some of mcrib's friends in Louisiana. If you're not particular about number of teeth or Toes or fingers or even limbs they're a great option. Jlmk

VN Store

Back