War in Ukraine

I know everyone's celebrating in here, but if Ukraine continues to make major advances into Russia, there's the very real possibility of Putin feeling like he's getting backed into a corner and nuking Ukraine.

I completely support Ukraine defending itself against Russia. I don't like that they're using American weaponry to invade Russian territory.

Reactions: Pennheel
This incursion will ultimately be repulsed, but make no mistake, this is an embarrassing moment for Russia..
Imagine telling your people you could fight the US and NATO head on, then having to explain this happening.

It's like if to send a message to China, the US launched an invasion of Mexico, and after two and a half years the only thing we've captured is Baja California and Mexican troops are in Arizona.

Ukraine's incursion into Russia's Kursk region is "consistent with our policy," U.S. Defense Department Deputy Press Secretary Sabrina Singh told the press on Aug. 8.

noxslor34jhd1.jpeg

help-with-route-to-sudzha-v0-tv3tahndmihd1.jpeg

Reactions: tvolsfan
I know everyone's celebrating in here, but if Ukraine continues to make major advances into Russia, there's the very real possibility of Putin feeling like he's getting backed into a corner and nuking Ukraine.

I completely support Ukraine defending itself against Russia. I don't like that they're using American weaponry to invade Russian territory.

22:30 The Pentagon commented on the situation in the Kursk region, stating, “We do not consider this to be an escalation in any way. Ukraine is doing what is necessary to achieve success on the battlefield,” said Pentagon Deputy Spokesperson Sabrina Singh during a briefing on the operation in the Kursk region. She added that the US will continue to support Ukraine with the resources it needs."

Saw a few other, more gruesome videos from this. Looks like a whole lot of Ras' lads got really sleepy, really fast.
180,000 tungsten balls hitting uncovered troop transports. Nasty.

This offensive is looking less like a feint and more like it has some sort of purpose. Rumors that 3+ brigades are involved including some of UKR's best and most agile. Would be most impressive if it circled from the West and North to encircle the Russian troop lines around Karkiv.

Reactions: BeardedVol
Our resident Putin leg-humpers have been pretty quiet during the whole Kursk thing. I really wanted their advice on how to conduct a sham referendum in the "liberated" portions of Russia.

Force a red pill down their throats, Hoss.

giphy.gif

The Moscow Times:

"On the night of August 9, the Armed Forces of Ukraine (AFU) hit a convoy of Russian soldiers in the Kursk region. Footage of the fire, which engulfed military equipment, was published by a number of pro-war telegram channels at once.

The convoy was attacked in the village of Oktyabrskoye, located 8 km from Rylsk. The military moved along the highway that before the war connected the Ukrainian Glukhov and Kursk, passing through Rylsk and Lgov. As calculated by the publication "Agency", the strike site is located about 30 km from the Ukrainian border and 20 km from the urban-type village of Korenevo, where battles with the Armed Forces of Ukraine are taking place.

According to the Military Informant telegram channel, the convoy with the Russian military was attacked with the help of the American HIMARS MLRS, which had not previously been used in the invasion of the Ukrainian army into Russia.

According to the calculations of military analyst Yan Matveev, a total of 14 tent Urals and KamAZ trucks with infantry were destroyed, some of the vehicles burned to the ground. "It seems that the entire column was carrying infantry. They were armed, a platoon per car, most likely. 3-4 companies - the whole battalion was destroyed. <… >This is one of the bloodiest and most massive strikes (most likely HIMARS) in the entire war," Matveev said.

After the publication of the video with the burned column of soldiers, Z-bloggers began to demand that those responsible for the incident be punished. "Whoever gave the order to move in columns in the observation zone of the copter and, accordingly, the defeat by Himars, is not just an *******, but should also be sentenced according to the laws of wartime, today it is an assault squad," wrote Z-blogger Roman Alekhin.

Another Z-blogger Yuriy Podolyaka agreed with this opinion. "How much can I do? The third year of the war is underway, and someone has a passion for moving in columns in the frontline zone," he said.

The incident in the Kursk region was the result not only of the "impenetrable stupidity" of the one who gave the order to move in a column, but also of the "chaotic pulling of reserves into the breakthrough area, for which they were not ready at all," the "Military Informant" emphasized.

The Armed Forces of Ukraine invaded the territory of the Kursk region on the morning of August 6 and captured at least 20 settlements in three days. The day before, on August 8, pro-war bloggers stated the deterioration of the situation: about 30 km remained to the Kursk nuclear power plant in a straight line."

giphy.gif

Reactions: Septic
I think we are seeing the end of this conflict starting to play out. I see this incursion into Russia as a bargaining chip. As well as a wise strategical move.

For too long this conflict has been at a deadlock. Neither side able to advance against secured and reinforced positions. So Ukraine attacks softer areas within Russia in order to gain territory with the ability to trade land in any coming peace talks should they be able to hold it.

The fact these attacks haven't been repelled yet is encouraging for Ukraine.

I do wonder what the long term strategy is. No way in hades Putin lets them keep Russian territory. And they aren't going to be able to take and hold significant enough territory to have a material impact on the actual fighting in the south and east. Maybe its just symbolic as suggested to be in a better spot for peace. but I just don't see it as a viable long term strat.

willing to bet our Ruskies wont show up until about 5 mins after Russia retakes the first stop sign in Kursk to celebrate the complete decimation of the Ukrainian attack.

Overhead View of HIMARS Hitting Convoy at Night

Note the video is provided by a UKR drone freely flying over this Russia territory... miles from the front line.

That does *not* bode well for RUS if UKR is capable of watching all their troop movement... unless @rasputinvol tells me otherwise. ;-)

EDIT: It appears @rasputinvol is gone. His name doesn't autopopulate and it's unsearchable. Alternatively, Freak has banished me to Dean Wormer's office.

44a75c8a-2a22-49f7-8b06-86a72cfb1a06_text (1).gif

Last edited:
Looks like these were the guys they were counting on to help repel the Ukrainian advances.

The incompetence of exposing their troops this way, they either got complacent or desperate, possibly some combination of the two

Reactions: norrislakevol
Looks like these were the guys they were counting on to help repel the Ukrainian advances.

The incompetence of exposing their troops this way, they either got complacent or desperate, possibly some combination of the two
"Hey guys, let's get the lads together and travel bumper to bumper in a warzone. It'll be fine." - Russian commander with slippery window ledge in his future.

I think we are seeing the end of this conflict starting to play out. I see this incursion into Russia as a bargaining chip. As well as a wise strategical move.

For too long this conflict has been at a deadlock. Neither side able to advance against secured and reinforced positions. So Ukraine attacks softer areas within Russia in order to gain territory with the ability to trade land in any coming peace talks should they be able to hold it.

The fact these attacks haven't been repelled yet is encouraging for Ukraine.

Its not a deadlock.

Neither side able to advance against secured and reinforced positions.

Its not a war primarily about securing positions.

I see this incursion into Russia as a bargaining chip.

Go back to the drawing board, as without approval from the U.S. I seriously doubt you will see an end to the war as all aid will stop and most likely sanctions will be placed on them as well.

My guess is you are closer to the beginning than the end unless you have a change of leadership in the U.S.

Curious to see the impact in Russia of the Ukrainian incursion into the motherland. Are they becoming more resilient and motivated for the war, or are they saying this whole attempt to steal Ukrainian land isn't worth it if it's gonna be fought on our yard?

Curious to see the impact in Russia of the Ukrainian incursion into the motherland. Are they becoming more resilient and motivated for the war, or are they saying this whole attempt to steal Ukrainian land isn't worth it if it's gonna be fought on our yard?
I think you will see narrative switch to a flat out Ukraine is the sole aggressor, and using this to justify that Russia HAD to invade first.

I don't think the initial taking is going to change things in Russia very much. nor if Russia just kinda lets it be. only way things change is if Russia launches some attacks and they fail and Ukraine still holds most of what it took 3 months from now.

of course if Russia launches its own major attack and takes territory elsewhere it will be the 4D chess move.

VN Store

Back