what are the biggest what ifs in tennessee football history

The rumor at the time was the coaching staff put the handcuffs on Dickey in that game and the Memphis game the next week. Darrell Dickey came to the conclusion that they did not have a replacement for him, so he began to check off to the plays he wanted to run and that's when the team began their run.

I would be interested to hear from players from that era as to whether or not that was true.
I don't know if true or not, but we did play it close to the vest against Ga. Tech.

Tony Robinson not getting hurt, or Chuck Webb not getting hurt or not tying Colorado.

I almost posted about Chuck Webb earlier. Between him blowing his knee and Greg Burke gagging on a couple of last second FGs, 1990 could have been really special.

What if Johnny Majors had gone with Andy Kelly from the get go and hadn't fallen behind Alabama before making a QB change in 1989 in the only loss of the season?

What if Johnny Majors had listened to Dr's orders and not rushed back and split the locker room in 1992?

What if CJ Leak had been worth a damn as a QB and Fulmer hadn't had to bench him . . . and Chris Leak and his Dad hadn't gotten mad . . . and Leak had come to Tennessee . . . and we had a stable QB situation in 04 and 05?

What if Johnny Majors had listened to Dr's orders and not rushed back and split the locker room in 1992?

I heard He was going to be leaving anyway. Johnny went to Doug Dickey to renegotiate his contract and Dickey refused. Johnny pissed off a lot of big time UT backers.

What if Jonathan Crompton had bought Steve Spurrier's recruiting pitch and gone to South Carolina?

What if Cadillac Williams hadn't decommitted and he was in the backfield behind Casey Clausen in 2003?

What if Volnation had never been started and I was instead the 10 time reigning employee of the year?

Reactions: 1 person
The 1985 GT team was the best defensive team Tennessee played that season

Nice try, but no they were not--Miami was the best and it is no contest. Bama had a dang good defense that year, too! Remember the schedule GT played when trying to compare the numbers.

I know that Majors hamstrung Dickey in that game, and don't get me wrong--I think Dickey did a GREAT job down the stretch--but the point is:

We were a GREAT team with TR at QB--and without 2 ties on our record might have gotten more consideration for the NC after whomping Miami...:salute:

Reactions: 1 person
What if Johnny Majors had gone with Andy Kelly from the get go and hadn't fallen behind Alabama before making a QB change in 1989 in the only loss of the season?

That's a biggie, Majors made a bunch of bonehead decisions...especially against alabubba....Those Vol teams from 89-90 were GREAT TEAMS! :salute:

Nice try, but no they were not--Miami was the best and it is no contest. Bama had a dang good defense that year, too! Remember the schedule GT played when trying to compare the numbers.

I know that Majors hamstrung Dickey in that game, and don't get me wrong--I think Dickey did a GREAT job down the stretch--but the point is:

We were a GREAT team with TR at QB--and without 2 ties on our record might have gotten more consideration for the NC after whomping Miami...:salute:

Yeah,GT was 9-2-1 with losses to Virginia(24-13),Auburn(17-14) and tied Tennessee 6-6

I think that with T Rob, we tied UCLA and lost to Florida that year. With Dickey, we were 6-0-1.

What if UT had signed with Nike and not Adidas..How many kinds of orange would the Vols be wearing???

What if no one ever burned the lettuce in Knoxville. How many championships went up in smoke?

VN Store

Back