What Was Your "Ugliest Play of the Year" for 2012?

You said that alright!! What a great call by Doofus. Have the ball 2 TO's and the best passer in SEC...SMFH..
The "best passer in the SEC" had just completed 1 of his last 4 passes for zero yards in his usual game on the line choke. We were facing 3rd and 10 on our own 39. We had one play to go, and then a punt, if Bray threw his 4th incompletion in his last 5 passes for zero yards.

When Zack Rogers dropped a pass in over time against Mizoo, I knew it was over then.

I have to give in too Dooley, we were yelling, "NOOO!! NOOO don't go for a FG, our defense can't stop them, then we went for the fake and scored........i was like nice!...

Lol

Reactions: 1 person
So you feel pretty sure that we could have converted on 3rd and 10 to get near midfield, then driven another 20 yards to get to the Missouri 30 in about 20 seconds, and Palardy could have nailed a 47 yard field goal as time ran out? All this from an offense that had gained a total of 2 yards on its previous 5 plays on its last 2 possessions with Bray completing 1 of his last 4 passes for zero yards?

(If Dooley went for it, and Bray threw a pick 6)

"Gah, Dooley is such an idiot!, he should of took a knee!"

You said that alright!! What a great call by Doofus. Have the ball 2 TO's and the best passer in SEC...SMFH..
Here are the calls ( I assume made by Chaney) that I don't get. Missouri punts and Tennessee gets the ball on our own 15 yard line with a 7 point lead, and 5:32 left in the game. Time to burn some clock, right? Deep in our territory, right? First down Neal runs for 2 to the 17. Second down and 8, Bray throws incomplete to Hunter. Clock stops. Third down and 8, Bray throws incomplete to Neal. Clock stops again. Palardy punts to Missouri 24. Needing to run some clock, we keep the ball for 39 seconds. Now there is 4:53 remaining, and Missouri has to go 76 yards, which of course they do.

After they kick off, we get the ball on our own 39 with 43 seconds to go. First down and 10, Bray throws incomplete. Second and 10, Bray throws complete to Lane for zero yards, necessitating a timeout. 3rd and 10, Dooley had seen enough. I think that the game was lost by giving the ball back to Missouri after only burning 39 seconds, and not forcing them to use a timeout. If we had run the ball 3 times, we could have easily burned another minute and a half, and possibly time would have expired before they could go 76 yards.

The "best passer in the SEC" had just completed 1 of his last 4 passes for zero yards in his usual game on the line choke. We were facing 3rd and 10 on our own 39. We had one play to go, and then a punt, if Bray threw his 4th incompletion in his last 5 passes for zero yards.

All of which goes largely overlooked when in a rush to bash Dooley. Bray led us to all of 7 second half points. Hardly builds confidence for a game winning drive when everything thing is taken into context.

So you feel pretty sure that we could have converted on 3rd and 10 to get near midfield, then driven another 20 yards to get to the Missouri 30 in about 20 seconds, and Palardy could have nailed a 47 yard field goal as time ran out? All this from an offense that had gained a total of 2 yards on its previous 5 plays on its last 2 possessions with Bray completing 1 of his last 4 passes for zero yards?

That's why you TRY.. If I'm not mistaken we had 2 TO's. Problem I remember is the coaches kept calling deep passes, or Bray was throwing whatever he wanted. The Defense was playing deep not to get burnt. Why not run a screen or some type of draw from the Gun. I saw the last couple drives WR's open across the middle. JMO

UT/FL game, 3rd Quarter, 5:00 mark. Vols lead 20-13 and just stuffed the Gators on a fake punt. FL fans and team appears ready to roll over. 1st and 10 on the FL 47 yard line. The call: a simple play action pass, Bray gets pressured and throws the ball to the flat near no one. He is flagged for Intentional Grounding. Vols go 3 and out. Punt to FL. On 1st down, Burton breaks off an 80 yard TD run...game over, season over, Dooley over.

Reactions: 2 people
Here are the calls ( I assume made by Chaney) that I don't get. Missouri punts and Tennessee gets the ball on our own 15 yard line with a 7 point lead, and 5:32 left in the game. Time to burn some clock, right? Deep in our territory, right? First down Neal runs for 2 to the 17. Second down and 8, Bray throws incomplete to Hunter. Clock stops. Third down and 8, Bray throws incomplete to Neal. Clock stops again. Palardy punts to Missouri 24. Needing to run some clock, we keep the ball for 39 seconds. Now there is 4:53 remaining, and Missouri has to go 76 yards, which of course they do.

After they kick off, we get the ball on our own 39 with 43 seconds to go. First down and 10, Bray throws incomplete. Second and 10, Bray throws complete to Lane for zero yards, necessitating a timeout. 3rd and 10, Dooley had seen enough. I think that the game was lost by giving the ball back to Missouri after only burning 39 seconds, and not forcing them to use a timeout. If we had run the ball 3 times, we could have easily burned another minute and a half, and possibly time would have expired before they could go 76 yards.
Why I love VN..can have good conversations on different perspectives of what you see and think. You have very good points sir!!

That's why you TRY.. If I'm not mistaken we had 2 TO's. Problem I remember is the coaches kept calling deep passes, or Bray was throwing whatever he wanted. The Defense was playing deep not to get burnt. Why not run a screen or some type of draw from the Gun. I saw the last couple drives WR's open across the middle. JMO
We may have had 2 TO's. We wasted one on Missouri's second TD of the half, but we had only one play to try to make first down from 10 yards. If we don't get it , we have to punt.

As far as the offense and play calling, we had 5 possessions in the second half, and only ran 22 plays . Our only score in the second half came on a 16 yard pass to Pig Howard with 11:35 to go in the 3rd quarter, after McNeil scooped up a fumble , caused by McCullers, and ran it back 33 yards to the Missouri 30 yard line. So, after being up 21-7 at the half, our only score in the 2nd half is on a 30 yard drive after a turnover. We don't score in the last 26:25 of regulation, almost an entire half.

As far as the play calling goes, I am at a loss to explain it on some possessions.

On the Burton run, what went unnoticed by Sal was that coming out of that time out/change of possession was that UF asked to have the ball moved to the hash...knew at that moment that something bad was about to happen.

It's been painful to read these post but I'm going w/Trey Burton's TD run.....that one really hurt to watch because we can't tackle squat.

We may have had 2 TO's. We wasted one on Missouri's second TD of the half, but we had only one play to try to make first down from 10 yards. If we don't get it , we have to punt.

As far as the offense and play calling, we had 5 possessions in the second half, and only ran 22 plays . Our only score in the second half came on a 16 yard pass to Pig Howard with 11:35 to go in the 3rd quarter, after McNeil scooped up a fumble , caused by McCullers, and ran it back 33 yards to the Missouri 30 yard line. So, after being up 21-7 at the half, our only score in the 2nd half is on a 30 yard drive after a turnover. We don't score in the last 26:25 of regulation, almost an entire half.

As far as the play calling goes, I am at a loss to explain it on some possessions.
Needless to say....it was a long and painful season to watch.. Gonna be better this yr!! Go Vols

The punt (or kickoff) return by Arkansas when everyone on the Tennessee team seemingly had a shot at him and missed.

I might have to give this one my vote. A total microcosm of 2012, IMO. We made that guy look like Bo Jackson from Tecmo Bowl the way guys were flying around aimed at nothing in particular. :jpshakehead:

I might have to give this one my vote. A total microcosm of 2012, IMO. We made that guy look like Bo Jackson from Tecmo Bowl the way guys were flying around aimed at nothing in particular. :jpshakehead:

Microcosm of Dooley's tenure maybe but not 2012. We did not play Arkansas in 2012.

The opening punt in the Florida game. We recover that fumble inside the 5 & our whole season might have went differently.

VN Store

Back