What Was Your "Ugliest Play of the Year" for 2012?

The entire Mizzou game was painful. Seems like we took a knee at the half with timeouts at a point when another score would have sealed the game. Clock management and play calling in that game were both abysmal. I see both done better by most high school teams.

The entire 2nd half against Florida. But for some reason I still remember a 3rd and 1, we call a 7 yard pass down the field, pass falls incomplete.

To break the monotony of negative thought.... Rehashing these plays really does give me hope for a decent season, if we can be just a FEW plays better than we were. And I believe we can be that and more.

most of our ugly plays were our own fault but it seemed like we could NEVER...EVER catch a single lucky break. the kind of break every team needs from time to time.

As I've skimmed over this thread, I'm surprised at how few times the Georgia fumble by Bray has been mentioned

I don't know, but players fumble. It happens. The offense did their job that game. However, getting torched by Todd Gurley and Keith Marshall for huge runs should be mentioned in this thread as well.

From a defensive standpoint, the entire Troy game. It was Troy. But the most painful was giving a game away to Vanderbilt. It was Vanderbilt.

Thanks to everyone for the absolute misery of memories. I'm just elated that Butch gets it.

I have 3 ugly plays for you, all in the Missouri game, which brought on the demise of Dooley. Tennessee held Missouri to only 7 points in the 1st half , which was an 87 yard kickoff return for a TD. Also, Missouri's offense never crossed midfield until two and a half minutes remaining in the half. We go in the locker room up 21-7 having given up only 18 yards passing and 46 on the ground, for a grand total of 64 yards compared to 383 yards for us. Now we are in control of the game. We come out, kick off and Missouri starts from their own 23.

Ugly play #1 Kendial Lawrence runs through the middle of the defense , cuts to his left and scoots down the sideline untouched for 77 yards and a TD.

Missouri gets the ball after Tenn goes 3 and out, and punts with Missouri taking over at their own 24 with 4:53 remaining. After driving to the Tenn 40, Missouri faces a possible game ending 4th and 9 when

Ugly play #2 happens. Franklin connects with Marcus Lucas with a 17 yard pass to our 23 yard line.

Then Tennessee's defense stiffens (momentarily) and sacks Franklin , causing 2nd and 16, 3rd and 15, and finally 4th and 12 from the Tennessee 25 with 56 seconds on the clock. This brings on

Ugly play #3 when James Franklin finds Dorial Green-Beckham hanging onto the left sideline in the endzone by his toenails, and sends it into overtime.

Last edited:
You guys remember that time Dooley made a stupid in game decision? No, not that one. Or that one. No, the other one.

Reactions: 2 people
most of our ugly plays were our own fault but it seemed like we could NEVER...EVER catch a single lucky break. the kind of break every team needs from time to time.

Lucky's hairy old butt! Good teams made luck happen. Luck is for the jobless folks playing powerball. It never, ever has a thing to do with luck. It is and always will be about who want it more, and has the smarts to know how to go about obtaining it.

Reactions: 1 person
What I really hate is , that game was my sons first tennessee game.. The vandy game

OUCH! Well, on the positive side, he did see Patterson butt roll over a Vandy player and score a TD. One of the few bright and shining moments of 2012.

Bray taking a knee with 33 seconds left in regulation against Mizzou with the score knotted at 28.

That decision was the epitome of Dooley's failure as a head coach. We still had a timeout and at least a good shot at making a field goal with a completed pass. We had NFL talent on the offense and you take a knee at home? I would of had more respect for Dooley if he tried and a pick 6 happened than play it safe at home. Unbelievable.

Reactions: 1 person
That decision was the epitome of Dooley's failure as a head coach. We still had a timeout and at least a good shot at making a field goal with a completed pass. We had NFL talent on the offense and you take a knee at home? I would of had more respect for Dooley if he tried and a pick 6 happened than play it safe at home. Unbelievable.
We still needed about 30 yards to get into field goal range, and had gained a total of 2 yards on our previous 5 plays. Bray had completed 1 of his last 4 passes for zero yards. We had one TD in the 2nd half on a turnover where we went 30 yards. Our offense was pathetic in the second half after gaining 383 yards in the first half. I saw nothing that gave me any confidence that we could get a first down, much less a couple or three and a field goal.

We still needed about 30 yards to get into field goal range, and had gained a total of 2 yards on our previous 5 plays. Bray had completed 1 of his last 4 passes for zero yards. We had one TD in the 2nd half on a turnover where we went 30 yards. Our offense was pathetic in the second half after gaining 383 yards in the first half. I saw nothing that gave me any confidence that we could get a first down, much less a couple or three and a field goal.

You still take a chance and don't take a knee like a pansy. Try a few down the field at least.

VN Store

Back