What Was Your "Ugliest Play of the Year" for 2012?

We still needed about 30 yards to get into field goal range, and had gained a total of 2 yards on our previous 5 plays. Bray had completed 1 of his last 4 passes for zero yards. We had one TD in the 2nd half on a turnover where we went 30 yards. Our offense was pathetic in the second half after gaining 383 yards in the first half. I saw nothing that gave me any confidence that we could get a first down, much less a couple or three and a field goal.
So going into ot was gonna be different? Any, I mean any, coach with a pulse plays for the win in those circumstances.

That decision was the epitome of Dooley's failure as a head coach. We still had a timeout and at least a good shot at making a field goal with a completed pass. We had NFL talent on the offense and you take a knee at home? I would of had more respect for Dooley if he tried and a pick 6 happened than play it safe at home. Unbelievable.

I was at the game, and when we took the knee, I've not heard that loud of booing in Neyland in a long time.

Also I remember that the week of the Missouri game, Dooley had announced he was going to take a more active role in the defense, and in the game thread on here some Dool-Aid drinkers were crowing at halftime about how the game so far had proven Dooley was going to turn it around, or some nonsense.

Also I remember that the week of the Missouri game, Dooley had announced he was going to take a more active role in the defense, and in the game thread on here some Dool-Aid drinkers were crowing at halftime about how the game so far had proven Dooley was going to turn it around, or some nonsense.
It spawned the greatest thread in VN history, in my opinion.

Many times in my life I've experienced unplasent things. Things that at the time seemed almost unbearable. But almost without fail most of those things when looked back at after some time. I can say to myself well now im kinda glad those things happened. I always seem to pop back up and find myself in a better situation than before. Ive always said this to any friends that we're experiencing troubles or hard times. And now im telling you all on VN.

Almost all the plays listed by everyone. Could of been turning points to our season last year. A victory over UF or UGA,USC woulda been a signature win for Dooley. A win against Mizzuo or Vandy also would of sent us bowling. Had we gotten any of those wins and gotten any luck to win our bowl game. I believe strongly that the powers that be may have given Dooley more time.

While I'm not 100% sure that CBJ can lead us to the promised land. I am 100% sure that Dooley would not have. And that CBJ has done everything right so far. So while it may have Hurt like hell to have to go thru all those plays last year. Now looking back I'm glad we did. Cause they all assured that Dooley was shown the door. And that a new coach was brought in. Giving us all more hope for a brighter future for our VOLS. :good!:

Last edited:
You still take a chance and don't take a knee like a pansy. Try a few down the field at least.
They tried on first down, and again on second down, and got zero yards. They had one play left, 3rd and 10 to make it. They were not going for it on 4th down in their own territory. You people got cheated out of one more lousy incomplete pass , and you've whined about it for a year.

They tried on first down, and again on second down, and got zero yards. They had one play left, 3rd and 10 to make it. They were not going for it on 4th down in their own territory. You people got cheated out of one more lousy incomplete pass , and you've whined about it for a year.

He called a stupid play on second down and didn't even use one his final 2 timeouts. Either way Dooley is an idiot.

Reactions: 1 person
He called a stupid play on second down and didn't even use one his final 2 timeouts. Either way Dooley is an idiot.
Chaney called the plays from the press box, not Dooley. Dooley didn't have to use his timeouts because Bray couldn't complete any passes for positive yardage. You would have seen the timeouts used if we had gained even 5 yards on first and second down.

The ugliest plays of the year were losing over and over and over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cray:

GO VOLS..
GO BIG ORANGE .. :rock:

Last edited:
Any of the Jimmy Hyams shows at the end of the season. Here were his three topics: 1) Dooley not disciplining Bray/ Da'Rick or anybody else Hyams disliked. 2) Brays lack of discipline. 3) Did I mention Bray?

If you played any of his old segments, two things would happen. First, he would be reporting stuff from 95 as breaking news. Second, he said the same stuff about Dooley and Bray everyday. So if you played his old segments, then that would be some of the worse plays from 2012.

Reactions: 1 person
UT/FL game, 3rd Quarter, 5:00 mark. Vols lead 20-13 and just stuffed the Gators on a fake punt. FL fans and team appears ready to roll over. 1st and 10 on the FL 47 yard line. The call: a simple play action pass, Bray gets pressured and throws the ball to the flat near no one. He is flagged for Intentional Grounding. Vols go 3 and out. Punt to FL. On 1st down, Burton breaks off an 80 yard TD run...game over, season over, Dooley over.

Yep.

I was at this game and unfortunately sitting up near the overflow Gators fans in the upper deck. After we stuffed them on the fake punt, an old couple wearing Gators gear actually left the game. The old man turned to a group of us in orange and congratulated us on finally getting the win.

Then Burton ran for 80 yds and Neyland got really quiet. Everyone in the stadium knew we were going to lose.

Lucky's hairy old butt! Good teams made luck happen. Luck is for the jobless folks playing powerball. It never, ever has a thing to do with luck. It is and always will be about who want it more, and has the smarts to know how to go about obtaining it.

like when Stoener fumbled and UF shanked a game winning field goal to extend the 98 undefeated season? its also not about who wants it more either, or Nick Reveiz would have been All American. its about which team has the horses to impose their will on the other team. my point is, that every championship team has caught a couple breaks during the season.

Reactions: 3 people
Bray to Dooley completion on 3rd and forever late in the fourth quarter of the UF game was pretty tough to watch IMO. That play summed up the whole second half of that game and the remainder of the season.

I can't believe this thread made it to 8 pages without mentioning the kickoff we received against Mississippi State that our upbacks just watched hit the ground like it was a punt and State then recovered the loose ball. I mean everyone should've expected that to happen, because CP housed the previous kickoff. Who in their right mind would think they would kick to him again?

I can't believe this thread made it to 8 pages without mentioning the kickoff we received against Mississippi State that our upbacks just watched hit the ground like it was a punt and State then recovered the loose ball. I mean everyone should've expected that to happen, because CP housed the previous kickoff. Who in their right mind would think they would kick to him again?
I think that it hit the ground near Rivera.

1.Trey Burton's 80 yd TD.
2.Dooley's FG against Bama
3.Bray fumble on a potential Gw drive against USCe
4. Miss St onside kick
5. 4th and sunseri against Mizzou in OT

Too many to count.

Except it was mentioned in the first page.

VN Store

Back