When did we start saying "woo"?

I was there from 90-94 and there was no woo. It started sometime between '97-'98. I don't remember it in '97 but I do from '98.

Reactions: 1 person
Some guys worry to much about being "manly" it's ok to be goofy sometimes. Woo away I say!

Exactly. Woo, or don't. The people that take offense to the woo and get defensive about their masculinity when talking about wooing are the saddest bunch. I am comfortable enough in my manhood to let loose and act a fool.

For those that aren't, just cross your arms and be a sourpuss.

Reactions: 2 people
Don't like the woo and I will not do it. I really think that it sounds funny and detracts from the song.

Exactly. Woo, or don't. The people that take offense to the woo and get defensive about their masculinity when talking about wooing are the saddest bunch. I am comfortable enough in my manhood to let loose and act a fool.

For those that aren't, just cross your arms and be a sourpuss.
You can tell I am not woried about my manhood, I'm still a UT fan.

without the woo, the pause would be awkward. plus, I'm pretty sure it's here to stay regardless of how many people complain about it.

As someone mentioned the song has been slowed down to accommodate it. Go back and listen to Rocky Top from the early '90's. It' much faster.

It started around 96 you can start to faintly hear it then & by 98 you can hear it good. it started with the band saying SAAA-lute where we now say woo & morphed into Woo.

It started around 96 you can start to faintly hear it then & by 98 you can hear it good. it started with the band saying SAAA-lute where we now say woo & morphed into Woo.

That sounds about right. I seem to remember the SAAA-lute. I was watching the replay of the '98 UF game and you can barely hear the crowd do the woo. So it hadn't completely caught on. But by the Fiesta Bowl it was there to stay...sad as that may be.

Exactly when and how the "woo" was added to the chorus of "Rocky Top" is a bit of a mystery. | wbir.com

Like other students, many of the athletes also have taken to the "woo".

"I definitely am a woo-er, for sure," said Lady Vol Alicia Manning. "You know, that's like my favorite part is the woo part. Because you've got to like really 'woo'; you've got to get into it."

The songwriters' son agrees. In a statement released through the House of Bryant Publications, Del Bryant said:

"We love to hear the fans sing this song and the 'woo' is a great way of capping off any cheer. Go Vols! Woo!!"

There was a Rocky Top cd after the national championship with a couple versions of rocky top. The "party mix" version had the woo in it, thats the first place i remember hearing it. Not sure how many of these cds are out there but it could have introduced more people to the woo.

There was definitely no woo in the early 90's

Johnny would not have allowed any woo'ing.

That came along with Phil sometime after 1993

Reactions: 1 person
I was at the Sugar Bowl on Jan 1, 1991 and we did not woo

In the late 80s, we did go boom-chucka-a-lucka-chucka-a-lucka-chuck-a-luck

For the Kentucky game, the band is replacing Rocky Top with this new fight song..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nXGPZaTKik[/youtube]

clay travis complains about the woo. those who complain about the woo are clay travis.

whoooooo caaaaares?!?!

VN Store

Back