When did we start saying "woo"?

I'll woo until the rafters shake when we get a winning head coach that can recruit and a new crew of coaches that can coach..

tumblr_mayyjqbKiq1r3hlsco1_400.png

where's li'l sis?

"Trombone players are known to be trend setters" This line made me chuckle. Rusty trombone ehh

I was a trombone player...number 10 of 12. Dude is right. The trombone section is the horne dawgs of the band. I 100% believe this story. The timing is about right. I kinda dropped out for awhile when Johnny left. We definitely were not wooing then. But in Peyton's heydays, there was definitely a woo in there.

I believe the trombone dude! Them spit valves were something else. Eight positions playing the bone. Number four was right by the horn as I recall

I was a trombone player...number 10 of 12. Dude is right. The trombone section is the horne dawgs of the band. I 100% believe this story. The timing is about right. I kinda dropped out for awhile when Johnny left. We definitely were not wooing then. But in Peyton's heydays, there was definitely a woo in there.

I believe the trombone dude! Them spit valves were something else. Eight positions playing the bone. Number four was right by the horn as I recall

A few inches past it. 3rd was just prior to the horn. Yeah, I actually did play.

Last edited:
A few inches past it. 3rd was just prior to the horn. Yeah, I actually did play.

And THAT Sly..is why I was in the 10th seat of 12. The only reason I wasn't in the 12th seat, is those two guys were younger and smaller and I threatened to whip them if they challenged me....Lol.

I wasn't saying he was lying, I was just messing with him. Did you play at UT?

I wasn't saying he was lying, I was just messing with him. Did you play at UT?

Lord no...I played in middle school...lol! I was bad!

bad bad bad...never practiced...just wanted to be the band clown. I was actually on the football team so that knocked me out in football season. I was stage band or whatever....my mom made me do it

Lord no...I played in middle school...lol! I was bad!

bad bad bad...never practiced...just wanted to be the band clown. I was actually on the football team so that knocked me out in football season. I was stage band or whatever....my mom made me do it

I can play the piano, other than that I shouldn't be allowed to touch instruments or sing.

I can play the piano, other than that I shouldn't be allowed to touch instruments or sing.

Yeah, mom made me learn that too...five years worth. The middle school football is the only thing that got me out of that. Same story, didn't ever practice, was terrible.

You seeing a pattern here?

Yeah, mom made me learn that too...five years worth. The middle school football is the only thing that got me out of that. Same story, didn't ever practice, was terrible.

You seeing a pattern here?

There is definitely a pattern developing. Lol I'm actually a pretty good piano player. But I got in to sports, and realized girls like athletes way more than they do piano players.

" To wooooo.. or not to wooooo..." that is the question. I think that it was in '98 when the woo came about. Winning a National Championship is enough to make you woooo! Wonder what our next National Championship will start? No tellin'....:dance2:

Whatever, when you are doing stuff and you win a national championship you stick with it. The woo, Smokey on the prowl, and pants with no stripes ROCK. The problem with you homos is that you have NO PRINCIPLES.

Ok, hopefully for the last time.

I DID IT!!!! With help. I was in the Pride from 89-93. I and another trombone player started it as a joke. We only did it to mess around. Next thing you know the entire trombone section was doing it. It grew from there (trombone players are known to be trend setters).

I hope my posting history lends enough credibility to my claim so you guys know I wouldn't make this up. The other trombone player is now a pastor living in Colorado. We had no idea what it would grow into. Really, it started as a joke. We knew if J Julian (band director) ever heard us he would kill us.

For those who don't like it. Sorry. But, I don't think it's going away anytime soon.

Dang, someone beat me to it. So "Spit" was one of the main guys, huh?

Dang, someone beat me to it. So "Spit" was one of the main guys, huh?

Ahhh, a former Pride member I see. Yes, it was actually "Spit" who really did it very first. We started doing consistently after he did it once and we kinda laughed about it.

To all, I'm not joking and I'm not lying. As I said, I understand that claiming to be one who started this would naturally draw some raised eyebrows. Considering how many on this board do not like the "woo" you can understand why I'm not on TV and radio making such claims.

Just trying to answer to OP's question. My best recollection is that we actually started doing it during the 92 football season. We were seniors so we were able to get away with more s***.

BTW, the "Spit" reference was the guy's nickname. He was from Celina, TN which sounds alot like saliva so everyone called him "Spit."

Ahhh, a former Pride member I see. Yes, it was actually "Spit" who really did it very first. We started doing consistently after he did it once and we kinda laughed about it.

To all, I'm not joking and I'm not lying. As I said, I understand that claiming to be one who started this would naturally draw some raised eyebrows. Considering how many on this board do not like the "woo" you can understand why I'm not on TV and radio making such claims.

Just trying to answer to OP's question. My best recollection is that we actually started doing it during the 92 football season. We were seniors so we were able to get away with more s***.

BTW, the "Spit" reference was the guy's nickname. He was from Celina, TN which sounds alot like saliva so everyone called him "Spit."
92 was my first year obviously and was the cause for my nickname "Target".

VN Store

Back