When Does CBJ get his Signature Win?

One of the biggest complaints that I had with Dooley (and I had many) was the fact that he never won a game that he wasn't "supposed to win". Never coached the Vols into a win. For CBJ to get a signature win, he has to beat someone that we are big underdogs going into the game. He has to be the one to win the game with good coaching. I know that there will be some mistakes, but he has to beat a legitimate SEC school that he is not favored to beat going in. It does not have to be this year, but it will need to come soon. My guess is GA or FL. I think that those are his best bets to out coach an SEC opponent.

Sadly, by that criteria, a signature win will be any SEC win next year aside from Kentucky. Unless we pick up some steam in the beginning of the season, we won't be favored against too many teams.

Couple of years from now at the earliest. But then again I define a signature win as a win that will be remembered in the history of the program so an SEC championship at the very least. Not going to be swayed by a single win otherwise, a lot of bad coaches have managed to beat teams that are better than theirs on a given Saturday.

Not Dooley.

If we're gonna beat any big team this year, I see us beating South Carolina at home. We're simply not going to win at Oregon, Bama, or Florida and I don't think our offense can hang with Georgia's offense this year.

But UGA will have no defense. i think they'll have a down year this year, compared to the 9-10 win seasons they've been having. We have as good a chance against UGA as any of them, we hung with them last year at our absolute worst.

If we do better than 6-6 this year, CBJ deserves SEC and possibly National coach of the year

My guess is the signature win occurs this year against Georgia or South Carolina. I consider it a signature win in the sense it will put us back on the map and will be a harbinger of things to come.

Floridas offense will have a slow start at the beginning of the season, just like they did last year and UT will walk out of gainesville with a win

Reactions: 2 people
If UT hasn't already got a signature win, the USCe game should be the signature win. If this year's team is competitive, UT has two weeks to prepare for the gamecocks in Knoxville. If the signature win doesnt come this year, it'll be more difficult in 2014 due to many games being away.
GBO

Beating USCe, shouldn't be considered a signature win....When you have a history of dominance over a program like Tennessee does over USCe...

Beating Oregon, FL or Bama would be a signature win...That's it...and truthfully Oregon's not that important given we could still win the SEC and lose that game

Reactions: 1 person
Sc or Florida Not sure why people think we can go on the road and beat Oregon who is a Nc contender
Posted via VolNation Mobile

They too have a new HC, but he is very familiar with kelly's system. We have chance. :yes:

But UGA will have no defense. i think they'll have a down year this year, compared to the 9-10 win seasons they've been having. We have as good a chance against UGA as any of them, we hung with them last year at our absolute worst.

We hung with them last year because of our record setting offense, which we won't have this year. Our offense this year could be prolific, or it could be a repeat of 2010 with craptastic Simms at QB. Too many questions on O for me to think we can hang with Murray.

Beating USCe, shouldn't be considered a signature win....When you have a history of dominance over a program like Tennessee does over USCe...

Beating Oregon, FL or Bama would be a signature win...That's it...and truthfully Oregon's not that important given we could still win the SEC and lose that game

Lately, USCe has done the dominating in the series and UT has been down even with losses to vandy and ky, so USCe would be a signature win considering where the programs have been in the last few years.

Lately, USCe has done the dominating in the series and UT has been down even with losses to vandy and ky, so USCe would be a signature win considering where the programs have been in the last few years.

Thanks to Mike Hamilton's experiment with Dooley being Head Coaching material, but overall we are 22-7 against them

Oregon will be the first true indicator of what we have this season, imo. How our team reacts to pressure, how our coaches game plan, how the players execute what they've been taught, and how effective our young leaders are. There's a lot to be learned from this game. Hopefully everyone is healthy, and stays that way.

Oregon will be the first true indicator of what we have this season, imo. How our team reacts to pressure, how our coaches game plan, how the players execute what they've been taught, and how effective our young leaders are. There's a lot to be learned from this game. Hopefully everyone is healthy, and stays that way.

Bingo. We'll find out if CSS's game plan was that bad or if we really do have the lack of speed on defense. prolly a mix of both but this game will tell a lot.

A true signature win over a really good team may not come just yet, (hopefully it does) but beating any ranked team will be something for us to hang our hat on. Just for now of course.

VN Store

Back