When Will Spurrier Take a Jab at Butch

Steve Spurrier suggested that if Nick Saban wanted to be seen as a great football coach he should go somewhere less that Alabama and prove it. He later felt great remorse and apologized.

Just wondering, when was the last time SS apologized to tennessee?

The way I see it, and I may be way off, is Majors and staff were good coaches. They elevated a TN program that Battle had kind of sent on a downward trajectory. Fulmer and company were competent , but really won mostly on raw talent and recruiting stability that had been established already. Spurrier saw through that and figured if he could provoke an arrogant Fulmer into playing more aggressively , his quick passing game would take advantage of us early on and put us into playing catch up and be out of our comfort zone. The well coached teams with high level talent could handle all that jazz that Spurrier did, but we just never could. We were always out flanked and a step behind. I don't think he'd ever have anything much to say about BJ ,because Jones inherited a true mess and there's not much you could say negatively about him if he turns it around.

Steve Spurrier suggested that if Nick Saban wanted to be seen as a great football coach he should go somewhere less that Alabama and prove it. He later felt great remorse and apologized.

Spurrier knows he will look silly if and when Saban's talent runs his teams off the field time and time again. He never had that kind of disadvantage with UT. Even when UT's recruiting was stronger early on, Spurrier was able to pull those skinny burners from his back yard and knew how to use them.

Spurrier is a shi$$y person, if there was a "I win" button he could push to win a game. He would push it to win every game. He doesn't care about fairness or competion.

Watch his games, when a player gets hurt bad or somthing emotional happens( lets say a players family member dies) he will pick on that player the whole game.

Remember when Lattimore got hurt last year? What was the next play he called? A 50 yard bomb. He try's to take advantage of emotion.

:crazy:

I would hit that button... Sounds cool.

NO S__T!! Every freaking game!

Reactions: 1 person
He was, in his prime, as vicious a competitor as there is/was. So much that, when his 95 team got depantsed by Nebraska , it was a total shock to most people.

Gosh I hope so. If he does that is a sign things are on the right track. Dont recall him say in much re: Dools.

I realize the ole ball coach is a cranky old man, but I can't help but see the underlying obsession with what he says about the vols with you guys.

Eh, that was more during the Fulmer era because Spurrier grew up a UT fan and felt spurned by the program when he was told he didn't fit UTs system when he went to college. There was a natural built in rivalry between Spurrier and Fulmer due to them starting at UT and Florida respectively around the same time. Spurrier had a game or 2 against Majors and never really took a shot at Johnny because he had too much respect for Majors and what he had accomplished at UT when he was still a fan of the program.

Yeah, I'm dreaming that he didnt call a 40 yard pass play the next play after Lattimores injury or when Connors arm was hurt in the Vandy game and it looked like the kid was in agony, he kept him in the entire game, even though it was risking his playing career. How about that time at Florida when that LSU kids dad died and he kept calling pass plays to that CB and no one else? I can go on and on .

So bc the kids dad died Spurrier should have gone easy? And bc Lattimore, his running back, got injured he should have only rushed the ball with his back up? There are far more accurate example to bash Spurrier but you picked two that make no sense.

Glad you are on here can you answer this question, i have been looking for a answer to this question and i think you are the one to answer it why did bama name your football team after a WASHING POWDER, can you answer that please.:post-4-1090547912:

Glad you are on here can you answer this question, i have been looking for a answer to this question and i think you are the one to answer it why did bama name your football team after a WASHING POWDER, can you answer that please.:post-4-1090547912:

From what I recall, near the end of the civil war, there were TONs of nurses in demand and few women in Bama could read let alone attend to injuries, so they had them all report to Mobile to wash the massive amount of laundry of the other southern states' soldiers. With all that blood off the uniforms in the Gulf plus , well, being women, it became known as the Crimson Tide.

Not quite, Sun Tzu is into deception, and using his surroundings against his opponent. Machiavelli is into using disadvantages against someone.

Sun Tzu would not use jabs to get into a offense's head. He would use a lot of disguises to get you to turn the ball over.

And Burger nails it. :hi:

Not quite, Sun Tzu is into deception, and using his surroundings against his opponent. Machiavelli is into using disadvantages against someone.

Sun Tzu would not use jabs to get into a offense's head. He would use a lot of disguises to get you to turn the ball over.

ahh, i understand where y'all are coming from now.

Yeah, I'm dreaming that he didnt call a 40 yard pass play the next play after Lattimores injury or when Connors arm was hurt in the Vandy game and it looked like the kid was in agony, he kept him in the entire game, even though it was risking his playing career. How about that time at Florida when that LSU kids dad died and he kept calling pass plays to that CB and no one else? I can go on and on .
stop concocting scenarios in your mind and realize that he's calling plays with the same intent as anyone else. He's just better at it.

Reactions: 1 person
Spurrier is a shi$$y person, if there was a "I win" button he could push to win a game. He would push it to win every game. He doesn't care about fairness or competion.

Watch his games, when a player gets hurt bad or somthing emotional happens( lets say a players family member dies) he will pick on that player the whole game.

Remember when Lattimore got hurt last year? What was the next play he called? A 50 yard bomb. He try's to take advantage of emotion.

Butthurt

mike-tyson-s-punchout-o.gif

The way I see it, and I may be way off, is Majors and staff were good coaches. They elevated a TN program that Battle had kind of sent on a downward trajectory. Fulmer and company were competent , but really won mostly on raw talent and recruiting stability that had been established already. Spurrier saw through that and figured if he could provoke an arrogant Fulmer into playing more aggressively , his quick passing game would take advantage of us early on and put us into playing catch up and be out of our comfort zone. The well coached teams with high level talent could handle all that jazz that Spurrier did, but we just never could. We were always out flanked and a step behind. I don't think he'd ever have anything much to say about BJ ,because Jones inherited a true mess and there's not much you could say negatively about him if he turns it around.

I largely agree but with a few caveats. Majors had a knack for hiring excellent assistant coaches who went on to greater success elsewhere. He was, by his own admission, a "tough/mean SOB to work for." On the other hand, the very best Majors-coached teams were, as you noted, when a measure of stability and upward momentum had already been established and in years when Fulmer held greatest responsibility as an assistant coach. For example, check out the productivity of our offense when Fulmer was offensive coordinator. Admittedly, Shuler was quarterback but they were some of the most explosive and highest-scoring offenses we have ever put on the field. Conversely, Fulmer elevated Tennessee to an absolute recruiting juggernaut during the first half of his tenure; this was most apparent on the defensive line, where, for once, we actually stockpiled elite talent, even at tackle.

With respect to Spurrier, Florida was most dominating during Danny Wuerffel's tenure; Wuerffel was a perfect match for Spurrier's offensive system. After his departure, Florida remained a formidable adversary but not one that was virtually invincible. I am inclined to agree that, while Peyton was there, perhaps Fulmer and Cutcliffe were willing to engage Spurrier and his charges in a firefight. We are all familiar with the net result of that approach.

For the following hypothesis, I have no links, no quotes and no documentation but it is my considered opinion that Fulmer, Cutcliffe and Chavis retooled their collective gameplan and came up with a strategy that gave us a better chance for victory: Avoid the temptation of engaging Spurrier in a shootout, run the football more, bleed the clock and limit Florida's offensive possessions. I believe the evidence is there if you compare the outcome of games played between 1994-1997 and 1998-2001, respectively. During the first four games, Florida either won by large margins or amassed large leads only to surrender large numbers of late cosmetic points prior to the inevitable victory. During the last four years, Tennessee and Florida split 2-2 and no game was won by more than 4 points. Overall scoring was lower in those games as well. Predictably, Tennessee ran the ball most effectively in their two victories (1998 and 2001).

Just curious to see everyone's opinion on when Spurrier will take a shot at Coach Jones. It is bound to happen eventually, it is almost a tradition for the old ball coach to take a shot at our coach.

There were the many times over the years with him and Phil, and he quickly went after both Kiffin and Dooley so I wonder how much longer until Butch gets his glib remark.

My guess is an obvious one with SEC media days.
Simple answer. Whenever he feels like he needs his old ass whipped.

Eh, that was more during the Fulmer era because Spurrier grew up a UT fan and felt spurned by the program when he was told he didn't fit UTs system when he went to college. There was a natural built in rivalry between Spurrier and Fulmer due to them starting at UT and Florida respectively around the same time. Spurrier had a game or 2 against Majors and never really took a shot at Johnny because he had too much respect for Majors and what he had accomplished at UT when he was still a fan of the program.

You are aware, are you not, that Spurrier actually likes Fulmer which is why he was always going after him. With FSU, it was a different matter. Don't think he likes Free Shoes University.

VN Store

Back