Why Won't The US Fight Russia?

In a conventional war we crush Russia like a bug. They don't have a chance. Same with China. Now the whole WMD thing....well.

Not so sure about that. A straight up battle on neutral territory, we'd win from what we're seeing in Ukraine. A conventional war on either Russian or Chinese turf is a whole different thing; I think we'd just be absorbed. There's simply too much landmass to cover. It's hard to beat the home team when they can draw you deeper in and logistics becomes a nightmare. Even if we were holding our own, our country has shown time after time it can't or won't tolerate protracted war. It becomes a war of attrition, and that's a definite loser for us with respect to China. Our biggest blunder is that we've fed the Chinese beast economically and made it a threat. Same with Russia to a lesser extent; they were well down at the end of the Soviet Union.

Not so sure about that. A straight up battle on neutral territory, we'd win from what we're seeing in Ukraine. A conventional war on either Russian or Chinese turf is a whole different thing; I think we'd just be absorbed. There's simply too much landmass to cover. It's hard to beat the home team when they can draw you deeper in and logistics becomes a nightmare. Even if we were holding our own, our country has shown time after time it can't or won't tolerate protracted war. It becomes a war of attrition, and that's a definite loser for us with respect to China. Our biggest blunder is that we've fed the Chinese beast economically and made it a threat. Same with Russia to a lesser extent; they were well down at the end of the Soviet Union.
Even prior to the latest sanctions, they're still down.

Russia Economic Report

Russia - Economy

The easy answer is that they have nukes. Well. So do we and ours are probably in far better shape than their nuclear arsenal. I feel ashamed of this country right now. We encourage people to support a hopeless resistance in the name of principles that we claim to hold dear and we won't support them with our might. Unless the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq depleted our own arsenal to the point that we can't wage war, I feel like we should be able to beat the hell out the Russian army. After WWII we said never again. It's happening again and we're really not doing anything. I don't get it.

As much as I admire Ukraine, and their leader- do you really want the end of the world? Ukraine...has to losešŸ˜”

Look....if nukes start flying there is no exact science as to what can be intercepted and neutralized.
If Putin launches 1,000 nukes all at once at The USA, i guarantee you we won't intercept them all.

And as little as 5 detonated nuclear bombs on American soil changes our whole way of life...

Why was the US in Kosovo?
Trying to fix a European problem that the Europeans didnā€™t want to fix themselves. Which is why the US shouldnā€™t get involved in Ukraine v. Russia. Europe can no longer be trusted.

Although, to be fair, the US track record of trustworthiness isnā€™t all that great.

I know this is the political forum, but I was really positing this in as apolitical a form as possible. Other than a couple of fringe congresspeople, I don't hear anyone on either side saying what I think many, if not most of us are thinking, which is why in the hell haven't we fried the 40-mile long column and taken control of the airspace.
because war is bad. We are tired of being the world's police. Maybe if we hadnt spent that last 40 years running around the world sticking our nose into every nook and cranny, and we werent coming out of a pandemic, people would be more willing to support a war.

because war is bad. We are tired of being the world's police. Maybe if we hadnt spent that last 40 years running around the world sticking our nose into every nook and cranny, and we werent coming out of a pandemic, people would be more willing to support a war.
Do you really think that's why people don't want a war, or did I just miss some sarcasm? I know I'm sick of war because that's all we have done for since WW2 is wage war against some crappy ass country. I'm sick of war and I'm ready to just let it go and let Europe wage war for a change. Maybe they will get the memo when they get embroiled in a 20 year war with some country over something they don't even understand.

Then why do we even have a standing army? Let's just sell all our weapons to the Saudis, disband the military, and hope the the vastness of the oceans keeps us safe and free.

Our army shouldn't be in place to protect the rest of the world from the rest of the world
I can't totally follow you here, There are other countries which we must protect from Russian and Chinese military aggression. The Ukraine just isn't one of them. The juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Reactions: ClearwaterVol
I'm too old to join. I've never killed anyone but I've been shot at twice. Once the perp got away and the other time the guy spent about a decade in prison.
You seem to be all too happy to send our sons and daughters into battle. I'm pushing 70 and we've been pushing wars my entire life and I'm over it. I feel sorry for Ukraine, but they are Europes problem, not ours.

You seem to be all too happy to send our sons and daughters into battle. I'm pushing 70 and we've been pushing wars my entire life and I'm over it. I feel sorry for Ukraine, but they are Europes problem, not ours.

What wars did you fight in?

And if we have been pushing war for decades and we still man a voluntary army, what does that tell you about the people volunteering?

Iā€™m not advocating war, just tired of the stupid response of ā€œden you go sine up fer itā€.

Do you really think that's why people don't want a war, or did I just miss some sarcasm? I know I'm sick of war because that's all we have done for since WW2 is wage war against some crappy ass country. I'm sick of war and I'm ready to just let it go and let Europe wage war for a change. Maybe they will get the memo when they get embroiled in a 20 year war with some country over something they don't even understand.
Not really sure how what you said is different from mine. You went back farther than me.

Meh, maybe...

Starve nuclear weapons to death with a tritium freeze | SIPRI

Now from what I understand, the Clinton Adminstration made a move that limited tritium production or something (going off of memory so some one I'm sure will correct me). But what that means is that these weapons need to have tritium recycled or replaced every 12 or 13 years in order for our nukes to be effective. But this program has apparently been hampered or stopped since the 1990s.
Tritium is produced right here in east Tennessee.

What wars did you fight in?

And if we have been pushing war for decades and we still man a voluntary army, what does that tell you about the people volunteering?

Iā€™m not advocating war, just tired of the stupid response of ā€œden you go sine up fer itā€.
War should be seen as a last resort. I'm not sure why that's a radical concept?

Tritium is produced right here in east Tennessee.
At Watts Bar. I realize that. You still missed what I said. Apparently (and I'm going by what I heard a few days ago), the program to maintain the tritium for our nuclear stockpile was either halted or hampered somehow during the Clinton administration. Take that how you will. Perhaps, we are still able to produce tritium, but it may not be enough to maintain our entire stockpile.

And again, I did say "maybe" at the opening of that post...

I absolutely agree with you about our continual wars here and there. I'd agree with you if this were a dispute between say Germany and Poland or Ukraine and Romania or Poland. However, there are three real powers who dwarf everybody else right now - the US, Russia, and China. That's the part that makes this different. As ineffectual as Russia seems to be, this is not a fight between reasonably equal neighbors, it seems more like Russia testing the waters on putting the gang back together again. There's a significant degree of blackmail here - if you fight from a NATO country Russia claims that's an act of war, so is aiding and abetting the Ukrainians with munitions and supplies also an act of war? In other words, do we let Russia attempt to do what Germany did in the late '30s? What about China if they watch Russia get away with this? Might be the domino theory wasn't just a flawed thought.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
I absolutely agree with you about our continual wars here and there. I'd agree with you if this were a dispute between say Germany and Poland or Ukraine and Romania or Poland. However, there are three real powers who dwarf everybody else right now - the US, Russia, and China. That's the part that makes this different. As ineffectual as Russia seems to be, this is not a fight between reasonably equal neighbors, it seems more like Russia testing the waters on putting the gang back together again. There's a significant degree of blackmail here - if you fight from a NATO country Russia claims that's an act of war, so is aiding and abetting the Ukrainians with munitions and supplies also an act of war? In other words, do we let Russia attempt to do what Germany did in the late '30s? What about China if they watch Russia get away with this? Might be the domino theory wasn't just a flawed thought.
Or, we can mind our own damn business and worry about cleaning house over here. Russia already has witnessed from our example of empire building that it is expansive... not to mention their own troubles during the Soviet Era of trying to maintain an empire.

VN Store

Back