Yahoo claiming Bray and Couch (among others) took cash? (Merged)

With every new detail we learn about Tyler Bray, the bigger joke he becomes. He was a walking off-the-field nightmare.

Reactions: 2 people
This really hurts the DLine rotation this week whether it was heat or related to this story. McCullers can't play every snap and the tempo of Oregon just compounds the problem

I am for providing these players a SMALL compensation monetarily. The amount that is claimed here is small and honestly if you play college football there is absolutely no time to hold a part time job to have a little spend cash to go to the movies, buy clothes, etc... Sure they are getting a free education, but a college kid needs money for gas in their car, go on a date, etc..

What I am not for is players getting more money based on their fame. It should be standard across the board for players as sort of an allowance. Not selling autographs (Johnny Football) etc... or making a sizeable income. I totally believe the student-athlete should be what is promoted. I'm talking about $200 - $300 per month. That's basically the levels these players were accused of taking.

I was a 3 season athlete in college (cross country, indoor track, outdoor track). There would have been no time to have any type of job. And although I got a free education, I still needed money for things. Football is way more demanding than say track, volleyball, swimming. It is like having a full time job along with the academics. The NCAA limits 'organized' practice to 20 hours a week. Weight room, film study etc... are on players time. Every break (spring break, Christmas, etc..) for these players is taken up by some football event. A lot of these players also come from families who have very little. Ever seen Pahokee or Frostproof FL? I was fortunate that my parents were able to send me a $100 or so every once in a while.

Give these kids a $200-$300 month pre-loaded credit card and after that if they receive ANY money or compensation through unauthorized means, they should be punished.... sitting out games, lose their allowance, or whatever comes their way.

And if you disagree, you are an idiot.

I certainly recognize the argument these kids deserve some sort of reasonable aid as the NCAA is a multi-billion $ business and the athletes are being left completely out in the cold. I have no problem with that argument.

However, implementing it is going to be very difficult. The cost will be significant and as its been mentioned repeatedly, under the current environment, all athletes will need to be compensated. Additionally, if people think $200-300 a month is going to curb the corruption and stop activities such as selling jerseys for thousands and thousands of dollars or 5-figure autograph sessions, they have to be on something. It will simply drive the amount of illicit payments upward. We can't fool ourselves giving them a reasonable stipend is the answer...it will do nothing to halt the illegal activities.

On a separate note but in regards to other comments in your post, I played D-1 football and had a daughter swim at UT. I can assure you football wasn't any more demanding than swimming. In football, you are obviously subject to increased injury risk due to the collision aspect of the sport, but there is nothing easier about the training and preparation. If you disagree, I encourage you to go watch the UT swim team train twice a day, 6 days a week, and tell me football is "way more demanding" than swimming. I was continually amazed at the level of hard work and training swimmers were willing to devote (Michael Phelps says "hi", by the way). Your generalization makes as much sense as if I was to say running track appears to be the easiest sport I've ever witnessed since all the athletes do is stretch and jog in circles. If I was to make such a simplistic claim such as that, it would be...in your words...idiotic.

After reviewing Bray's Twitter account, Yahoo Sports found that Bray had interacted with a Matthew Schroeder consistently dating back to 2011

If Bray had only spent that time with his receivers...

What is the typical penalty for a team on probation getting caught again doing something? What really sucks is that MSU and Tenn may get much harsher penalties than Bama because Bama isn't on probation, despite the fact that all this **** came from Bama.

Last edited:
What is the typical penalty for a team on probation getting caught again doing something? What really sucks is that MSU and Tenn may get much harsher penalties than Bama because Bama isn't on probation, despite the fact that all this **** came from Bama.

UT didn't know about it, and it's very unlikely that the NCAA even bothers investigating this. They have bigger fish to fry right now...like staying in business.

Tennessee redshirt senior DL Mo Couch, who was implicated in Yahoo Sports' recent piece regarding five SEC players who received improper benefits, will miss Saturday's game against Oregon due to heat exhaustion.
Quite the coincidence. Couch is the only name involved in the Yahoo Sports' report that is still playing at the college level. The redshirt senior plays a reserve role for the Vols, but did start 13 of the 26 games he played in since 2011. He registered four tackles, two going for a loss (including one sack), in two games this season.

Rotoworld hates us!

Will we have to vacate our losses?

It seems clear that Bama paid Bray to thow the game so the loss shouldn't count...

Haven't read all of the pages, but using these cases as precedents, Couch should be able to sit a few games, repay the money, and be reinstated.

Not sure how this is handled for players who are no longer eligible.

Sharrif Floyd - $2500 in benefits
Florida football student-athlete Sharrif Floyd must sit out two games, repay benefits - NCAA.org

Oliver Vernon - $1200 in benefits
Eight Miami football student-athletes must sit out games and repay benefits - NCAA.org

Not sure how this is handled for players who are no longer eligible. Well lets ask Cam Newton

I certainly recognize the argument these kids deserve some sort of reasonable aid as the NCAA is a multi-billion $ business and the athletes are being left completely out in the cold. I have no problem with that argument.

However, implementing it is going to be very difficult. The cost will be significant and as its been mentioned repeatedly, under the current environment, all athletes will need to be compensated. Additionally, if people think $200-300 a month is going to curb the corruption and stop activities such as selling jerseys for thousands and thousands of dollars or 5-figure autograph sessions, they have to be on something. It will simply drive the amount of illicit payments upward. We can't fool ourselves giving them a reasonable stipend is the answer...it will do nothing to halt the illegal activities.

On a separate note but in regards to other comments in your post, I played D-1 football and had a daughter swim at UT. I can assure you football wasn't any more demanding than swimming. In football, you are obviously subject to increased injury risk due to the collision aspect of the sport, but there is nothing easier about the training and preparation. If you disagree, I encourage you to go watch the UT swim team train twice a day, 6 days a week, and tell me football is "way more demanding" than swimming. I was continually amazed at the level of hard work and training swimmers were willing to devote (Michael Phelps says "hi", by the way). Your generalization makes as much sense as if I was to say running track appears to be the easiest sport I've ever witnessed since all the athletes do is stretch and jog in circles. If I was to make such a simplistic claim such as that, it would be...in your words...idiotic.

Maybe you are right about swimming on time demand, but the time demand of football is no comparison to most sports. I trained 365 days a year as a distance runner. But at best on a long training run or a long track workout maybe 2 hours at best of practice. (I didn't jog in circles either) And most sports don't cover the span of the entire school year.

Here are the facts:
1. Football funds a lot of the other sports
2. These players are making money for the university that not only pays for other sports but also academic scholarships!
3. The university pursues these kids because a successful football program is important for overall funding! Maybe UT athletic department as a whole is in the red, but it ain't because of football.
4. There are a lot of these kids who simply come from poor families. The demographics of football players vs swimming is night and day. That's not racist. That is just the plain facts. Swim team is probably not pulling too many members from Pahokee FL. These kids are trying to fit in at a university and just having a new set of clothes, a few dollars to go to a movie etc.. is important.
5. There is absolutely no time for a full scholarship football player to have a job delivering pizza or doing something else. Sure they have all their meals covered and room and board, etc...
6. It won't curtail all abuse, but it is the right thing to do and will curtail some and make abuse non excusable. Currently if a player takes $100 from a booster it is a cardinal sin. Puts the player and the program at risk. And not saying that there will still not be abuse, sure there will be. But there is no logical reason not to help out some of these kids who devote all of their non academic time to a program that funds a lot of things. We need to take care of these kids.

Reactions: 1 person
Talking to big Mo as we speak. He's telling me this wont affect UT, but not sure whats going to happen with him. I'll keep y'all updated.

To late, this has already affected Tennessee and in a negative way. IF this is true, he has brought disgrace to a proud university. IF he didn't do it, I hope the young man sues Yahoo for everything they have and he is the new CEO oh yahoo.

Wonder how they obtained those records?

I would think that Western Union violated some privacy laws.

Did not see any receipts where Mo signed for the $$$$ unless I missed something???

Wonder how they obtained those records?

I would think that Western Union violated some privacy laws.

Did not see any receipts where Mo signed for the $$$$ unless I missed something???

I believe someone who used to be associated with the agency turned them over to Yahoo. I don't know if it's a disgruntled employee kind of thing.

VN Store

Back