Yahoo claiming Bray and Couch (among others) took cash? (Merged)

Haven't read all of the pages, but using these cases as precedents, Couch should be able to sit a few games, repay the money, and be reinstated.

Not sure how this is handled for players who are no longer in school.

Sharrif Floyd - $2500 in benefits
Florida football student-athlete Sharrif Floyd must sit out two games, repay benefits - NCAA.org

Oliver Vernon - $1200 in benefits
Eight Miami football student-athletes must sit out games and repay benefits - NCAA.org

Yes, but were any of those schoosl already on probation when it happened? Gotta think the penalty may be 3-5 schollies lost a year. I doubt it will escalate to a bowl ban.

They don't even have evidence that Bray and Couch picked up the money. All they have is the word on some guy who works in a pharmacy in Tuscaloosa that "someone" picked up the money sent by a former Bama player from Tuscaloosa.

Boosters could sit around and Western Union money to opposing players all day, have "someone" pick the money up, and stir up all kinds of trouble.

Basically all they have is a dude who played for our direst enemy writing "Maurice Couch" and "Tyler Bray" on a piece of paper. Not saying it didn't happen, but as with any cool story bro diary: "Pic or it didn't happen."

Reactions: 1 person
They don't even have evidence that Bray and Couch picked up the money. All they have is the word on some guy who works in a pharmacy in Tuscaloosa that "someone" picked up the money sent by a former Bama player from Tuscaloosa.

Boosters could sit around and Western Union money to opposing players all day, have "someone" pick the money up, and stir up all kinds of trouble.

Basically all they have is a dude who played for our direst enemy writing "Maurice Couch" and "Tyler Bray" on a piece of paper. Not saying it didn't happen, but as with any cool story bro diary: "Pic or it didn't happen."
It's been noted that you have to show a valid ID when picking up the money though.

It's been noted that you have to show a valid ID when picking up the money though.

Fake IDs are still very easy to come by.

The part of the story implicating Tennessee is undersourced, whereas the documentation that points to Fluker and Alabama is overwhelming, but the report would make you think the level of proof for both infractions were equal.

No one else find this suspect?

Self impose these penalties and we should be good. Couch sets out 1 play of practice and Bray has to have his back tat removed on a very special live edition of Bad Ink

What does Bray's back tat look like? By chance, does it say "Space for Rent"?:birgits_giggle:

Last edited:
Yes, but were any of those schoosl already on probation when it happened? Gotta think the penalty may be 3-5 schollies lost a year. I doubt it will escalate to a bowl ban.

The university being on probation doesn't even apply here seeing as though this had no ties to the university. If the NCAA says repay the money and sit out 'x' number of games. Case closed.

Fake IDs are still very easy to come by.

The part of the story implicating Tennessee is undersourced, whereas the documentation that points to Fluker and Alabama is overwhelming, but the report would make you think the level of proof for both infractions were equal.

No one else find this suspect?

Wishful thinking. We may not see much come of it, but receipts with names and the Bray "friend" are pretty damning.

What is the typical penalty for a team on probation getting caught again doing something? What really sucks is that MSU and Tenn may get much harsher penalties than Bama because Bama isn't on probation, despite the fact that all this **** came from Bama.

There is no indication that UT did anything here. If the article proves true, it looks like two UT players were getting paid by an agent representative, via a Bama booster, behind UT's back.

The only thing that can happen to UT is vacating wins that the players played in-- maybe. I say maybe, because the NCAA would take note that the university didn't know they were ineligible when they played them.

Wishful thinking. We may not see much come of it, but receipts with names and the Bray "friend" are pretty damning.

But how are they going to prove Bray or Couch signed for those receipts? Like another poster said, a fake ID can be made, unless the NCAA has physical proof, all of this is circumstantial evidence.

Like I said in my earlier post, without matching bank records, video/photographic proof, or the players coming out and saying that yes they did take the money then nothing will come of this. If something does and I were a UT admin, I'd lawyer up and dare them to prove it.

Sit Couch just to be on the safe side and let it play out.

I honestly think Couch took the money. I think he is a dum*** for risking his entire team's future for a few hundred dollars. If we find out internally that this is true, I don't want him on the team. He is obviously incapable of using common sense.

1) Bray's relationship to guy who knew the guy who sent the money is established by tweets. I don't see how that proves the accusation.

2) My point is that the evidence is not equal for all the players involved, so to report it as equal is poor journalism.

3) Also, Alabama is the dirtiest program in the history of college football. Anytime they are involved I think you have to be careful to see what is actually going on. The extreme over-reaction Saban had to this story in yesterday's presser who kind of telling, no?

4) And none of the Bray connections have bearing on the accusations against Couch. The thinnest evidence is against him, but he has the most to lose here since her needs a good showing this year for his wife and child.

5) At the end of the day, Tennessee won't see any real fallout from this. I think Bama might have more to answer for, though, if the NCAA weren't a parody of itself.

Last edited:
I honestly think Couch took the money. I think he is a dum*** for risking his entire team's future for a few hundred dollars. If we find out internally that this is true, I don't want him on the team. He is obviously incapable of using common sense.

I really do understand the reasons behind this line of thought.

However there is also the father in me who would do whatever it took to take care of my family. Yes it was against the rules but I'm struggling to say I wouldn't do the exact same thing in his position

Haven't read all of the pages, but using these cases as precedents, Couch should be able to sit a few games, repay the money, and be reinstated.

Not sure how this is handled for players who are no longer in school.

Sharrif Floyd - $2500 in benefits
Florida football student-athlete Sharrif Floyd must sit out two games, repay benefits - NCAA.org

Oliver Vernon - $1200 in benefits
Eight Miami football student-athletes must sit out games and repay benefits - NCAA.org

I don't think those cases apply to Couch. If I am reading correctly those benefits were paid during recruiting. The Couch benefits were paid to him while he was actually playing at Tennessee. So if proven, any wins we have will vacated if I understand correctly.

Georgia Tech had their 2009 ACC Championship stripped for much less.. approximately $312 worth of clothing.. that came from a friend of an employee of a sports agency, the NCAA said.
Untrue. GA Tech was punished because of actions the athletic dept took during the investigation of the player who took the gift.

However there is also the father in me who would do whatever it took to take care of my family. Yes it was against the rules but I'm struggling to say I wouldn't do the exact same thing in his position

Anybody who has ever had kids to feed and no money coming in knows exactly what you are saying. Been there. It is a felling you will never forget, and never want to repeat. For the people who haven't been there, you really can't explain it.

Mo Couch takes care of his family. There are a lot of young men out there who don't step up to their responsibility as fathers. I applaud him for being there for his wife and kid, no matter what else happened here.

I omitted nothing. I only pasted a simple tweet. And no, I did not know Mo Couch left practice early yesterday. I only read that tweet. But that does not surprise me as usually when a kid suffers from heat exhaustion or even worse a heat stroke a kid usually stops practicing. But let me get this correct: The game is 5 days from when the player left practice early. How can a coach pull a kid 5 whole days from when a kid is going to play for supposed heat exhaustion that allegedly occurred on a Tuesday when the game is not until this Saturday? And is Oregon known to be more hot and humid then Tennessee? And also if true, and a kid really did have bad heat stroke in practice, would not the staff just attend to him and he sit out the rest of practice/get treatment. Or at the very most, would not a coach say, "his condition is day to day". As such, if this is true, and he had heat exhaustion- but such during a game- I could see them sitting him out. And same with the morning before the game. But 5 days out before the game even starts, in a State much cooler/no humidity, predicting his health would not be up to the task? It does not even remotely make sense. Surly he must be in a Hospital right now if his condition is that serious right?

Go home...homer.....You have no clue.....Even your coach makes mention of it......why do you care.

Exactly.
I love UT but when given the choice between the Vols and the kids?
The kids always win.

Guys, if your players are going to get paid, I respectfully submit you should be getting better players.

If accusations are confirmed, they were paid very little. So this is likely more of a "you get what you pay for" kind of deal. :)

Given the time these transactions took place, what would be a realistic penalty, if any on these Universities involved could possibly face?

Not trolling, but how far back can they actually go?

Ugh! Cowherd this morning is trying to give this story legs. Says it's relevant and that it's "only the beginning" of this story. Says he believes there is "more to come." he did this all of course with out even muttering the word "Tennessee". Simply says "certain SEC schools". I'm beginning to see the scope of the anti Tennessee power base. Butch Jones has got his work cut out for him. There are a lot of people who don't want to see him succeed.

Probably the worst that could come of this is Couch would lose his eligibility.

I hope that isn't the case. If he took $1,300, of course he shouldn't have, but any man who is struggling to support his family has someone offer him a little $$ out of nowhere, most of us are taking that $$. I'd say more than a few of us would do almost anything it took to take care of our families.

I have a lot of respect for Mo Couch. A lot of young men his age father children and have nothing to do with the child or its mother. I am absolutely not in favor of professionalizing (is that a word?) the college game, but a reasonable amount of $$$ should be paid to college athletes, especially football players who lose so much of themselves physically in playing the game. If a small stipend was going to guys like Couch, small amounts of $$ from an agent would be a lot less tempting.

I doubt the NCAA does much about this. As an institution, it's already on life support.

VN Store

Back