Your Memphis Grizzlies Basketball Thread III

Laravia has changed his body. He was moving much better yesterday than at any point I’ve seen him previously. I think he could actually be a back end rotation player.

Are we holding Scottie Pippen Jr as a back-up to Ja next season? He brought a scoring game to the table the last couple of months, at least.

Are we holding Scottie Pippen Jr as a back-up to Ja next season? He brought a scoring game to the table the last couple of months, at least.

They will need to attach some assets to move some dead weight (Ziaire, Rose) to create the roster spot/cap space to do that....

I'm fine with Pippen as this team will need some minimum contract guys given Pera's red line he won't cross with the cap...

I don't blame Pera for not crossing that line. It's a huge $$$ and future pick cost. Given Ja's immaturity and the overall Memphis market, I wouldnt either....

Ouch

Per Cleaning the Glass, the Grizzlies were outscored by 7.4 per 100 points per possession this season when Jaren Jackson Jr. started at center. In the 63% possessions he spent at power forward in 2022-23, the Grizzlies were plus-10.5 points per 100 possessions.

Ouch

Per Cleaning the Glass, the Grizzlies were outscored by 7.4 per 100 points per possession this season when Jaren Jackson Jr. started at center. In the 63% possessions he spent at power forward in 2022-23, the Grizzlies were plus-10.5 points per 100 possessions.
In 2022-2023 Jaren wasn’t playing with the Memphis Hustle backups.

In 2022-2023 Jaren wasn’t playing with the Memphis Hustle backups.

Jaren at the 5 and Santi at the 4 wasn't a good combo last year either....

Jaren needs a big that can do the dirty work for 20-25 mins a night. Santi aint it and I dont think BC is either. Jaren is far more effective in that freelancing role where he can float from three point line to weak side rim protector. There is no big on this roster that will allow JJJ to play in his most effective role...

Jaren at the 5 and Santi at the 4 wasn't a good combo last year either....

Jaren needs a big that can do the dirty work for 20-25 mins a night. Santi aint it and I dont think BC is either. Jaren is far more effective in that freelancing role where he can float from three point line to weak side rim protector. There is no big on this roster that will allow JJJ to play in his most effective role...

That was the context. Get a big.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
The Grizzlies led the league in games missed because of injury and ranked first with 51 different starting lineups. They set an NBA record with 33 players signed to contracts.

Reactions: tvolsfan
Do you think he’s best at center? Ignoring the poor quality from this season.
I don’t think it has anything to do with him. I think anybody next to Santi aldama stinks because Santi aldama stinks.

Jaren is a center in todays NBA. The team collectively are poor rebounders. Jaren exacerbates that problem when he’s at center.

Ideally, you find an 18-20 min / matchup dependent big man. I have no confidence in the front office.

Either way, Jaren is the only thing that isn’t a problem.

I don’t think it has anything to do with him. I think anybody next to Santi aldama stinks because Santi aldama stinks.

Jaren is a center in todays NBA. The team collectively are poor rebounders. Jaren exacerbates that problem when he’s at center.

Ideally, you find an 18-20 min / matchup dependent big man. I have no confidence in the front office.

Either way, Jaren is the only thing that isn’t a problem.

Jaren ain't the problem for sure but he needs a complimentary player playing next to him given Ja and Bane's limitations on defensive end. Santi sure in the hell aint it. Someone that can rebound, someone that can screen, and someone who isn't intimidated by bully ball. It doesn't have to be someone who plays 35 mins a night and closes games, but someone who allows JJJ to be the best unicorn he can be....

That complimentary big might be a 4 or it might be a 5. Either way will work as long as their game compliments Jaren. I probably prefer a 5 though...

Reactions: TBrown
Jaren ain't the problem for sure but he needs a complimentary player playing next to him given Ja and Bane's limitations on defensive end. Santi sure in the hell aint it. Someone that can rebound, someone that can screen, and someone who isn't intimidated by bully ball. It doesn't have to be someone who plays 35 mins a night and closes games, but someone who allows JJJ to be the best unicorn he can be....

That complimentary big might be a 4 or it might be a 5. Either way will work as long as their game compliments Jaren. I probably prefer a 5 though...
…they need Steven Adams…

Reactions: YankeeVol
Instead of worrying about Jaren or the luxury tax, I present to you…

1713465086036.jpeg

…the moron in charge of basketball ops.

I think we are over-selling the idea that I, at least, am worrying about Jaren. I just found the stat interesting, particularly the debate about whether you play him at the 5 or not. I know basketball is trying to go position-less, so maybe it doesn't really matter much.

By no means do I think acquiring Smart was a good idea. Particularly at the cost they paid.

Instead of worrying about Jaren or the luxury tax, I present to you…

View attachment 635266

…the moron in charge of basketball ops.

The luxury tax matters because Pera will dump salary to avoid it and we've made enough mistakes to prevent from fielding a title contending team to build around Ja, Bane, Des while at least 1 was on a rookie deal.

What you posted omits another cost of acquiring Smart. We didn't have to dump Adams' salary if we kept Tyus and didn't do this deal. The cost of Smart was a Top 12 pick, Sasser, Tyus, and Steven Adams....

VN Store

Back