'14 TN OL/DL Charles Mosley (UT Signee 2/5/14)

Previous staff really helped sell current staff on Quinn.

Jmo, flex him out for jump balls. He has hops. But I'm gonna guess that this has also been tried in practice...

Still prefer Quinn over the TE felon that vandy/franklin outrecruited UT for :)

I believe I heard that what was holding Quinn back was learning how to be physical enough.

Carson is 6'1" and about 320lbs. Rated a 3* player. Not comparable to Mosley...at all. But nice try, though...and you can always try to find an exception to the rule. Even JUCO players don't always pan out. See Woody Quinn for further review.

That is not the point and I was not comparing to the two as players. The point was that he is not more likely to walk on and start over the JUCOs because he is bigger...just like many on here thought Carson was going to do because he was big. Woody Quinn just stepped on campus this summer...implying he is a bust because he hasn't contributed much after being in the program a few months is simple minded.

McCullers hasn't been All-American or anything this year, but he's been fine. I don't get the hate he takes. There's a reason teams aren't good at running it right up the gut on us. The big runs come because we can't contain edges. If anyone thought big Dan was going to get more than say 5-6 sacks they were kidding themselves. He's a 8-15 TFL guy that will get a few sacks and a few swats and he will clog the middle. Also note not only does he get rotated out at DT a LOT to stay fresh, he rarely plays third downs. Dan is, if not our best defensive player, second behind Cam. JMO

Reactions: 4 people
McCullers hasn't been All-American or anything this year, but he's been fine. I don't get the hate he takes. There's a reason teams aren't good at running it right up the gut on us. The big runs come because we can't contain edges. If anyone thought big Dan was going to get more than say 5-6 sacks they were kidding themselves. He's a 8-15 TFL guy that will get a few sacks and a few swats and he will clog the middle. Also note not only does he get rotated out at DT a LOT to stay fresh, he rarely plays third downs. Dan is, if not our best defensive player, second behind Cam. JMO

But just once I want to see him slam the center and guard's helmets together, pick them up by their jerseys and throw them at the QB for a sack. Is that too much to ask?

Huh? You might want to go over to ESPN3 and watch a replay of the game. Mizzou and Bama ran up the gut on us with great effectiveness and regularity.

Problem is...they pushed Daniel Hood around (not hard to imagine...he's a whopping 260lbs) and ran through his gap all day/night long. Auburn will do the same if we start Hood. Just watch.

You could plug Mosley in there, instead and shut that shiite down, 'el-permanente.

Whether he was a JUCO isn't the issue. It's his SIZE...not his experience/talent that gets offenses' attention.

Thats dumb. Why not just get 3 350 pound linemen then and then what can the offense do but throw? Do you think McCullers would have seen the field as a freshman?

Huh? You might want to go over to ESPN3 and watch a replay of the game. Mizzou and Bama ran up the gut on us with great effectiveness and regularity.

Problem is...they pushed Daniel Hood around (not hard to imagine...he's a whopping 260lbs) and ran through his gap all day/night long. Auburn will do the same if we start Hood. Just watch.

You could plug Mosley in there, instead and shut that shiite down, 'el-permanente.

Gotta agree with that first part but if all we had to do was plug a freshmen in there Obrien would be starting.

Nonsense. IF Dan would play hard every play, or even most plays, then he would be dominant. When he gives everything he has on a particular play, he IS dominant. On most plays, he is just there taking up space. He doesn't get pushed back, I don't ever recall seeing that happen. But if you really watch him and you really know what you're looking for, he isn't producing a fraction of what he could be producing, simply because of lack of effort. A couple of games he seemed motivated, other than that, not so much.

Reactions: 1 person
Nonsense. IF Dan would play hard every play, or even most plays, then he would be dominant. When he gives everything he has on a particular play, he IS dominant. On most plays, he is just there taking up space. He doesn't get pushed back, I don't ever recall seeing that happen. But if you really watch him and you really know what you're looking for, he isn't producing a fraction of what he could be producing, simply because of lack of effort. A couple of games he seemed motivated, other than that, not so much.
Have you ever thought he's not being lazy, but rather its hard to continue strenuous activity at 6'6" 350 lbs (especially when he's used to being heavier). Very few 350 lb DTs are 3 down guys. Only one in college football I know that is/can be is Louis Nix and he's a top 10 lock in this next draft.

I'm just saying cut the big fella some slack

Have you ever thought he's not being lazy, but rather its hard to continue strenuous activity at 6'6" 350 lbs (especially when he's used to being heavier). Very few 350 lb DTs are 3 down guys. Only one in college football I know that is/can be is Louis Nix and he's a top 10 lock in this next draft.

I'm just saying cut the big fella some slack

I'm not trying to be overly critical. It is just maddening to me to watch him absolutely destroy a double team and blow up a play, then on the next play stand straight up and do nothing. He can take over a game, I just want to see that on a consistent basis and I don't think that's too much to ask.

How many of those were ran directly at Big Dan? I bet few if any. They picked on Hood/O'Brien because of their size and we have no DEs that can contain. Run right at Hood and if you have to bounce it outside 55 will be out there to miss a tackle or take a bad angle.

Even so that's only one game.

I'm not trying to be overly critical. It is just maddening to me to watch him absolutely destroy a double team and blow up a play, then on the next play stand straight up and do nothing. He can take over a game, I just want to see that on a consistent basis and I don't think that's too much to ask.
I'm not saying it is impossible. I just know very few people in the world Dan's size have better athleticism than him, but some people still feel find criticizing him. The difference between last year and this year is crazy. Dan will continue working and if he isn't a 1-2 down starting DT in the NFL I will be shocked.

I'm no way talking just about you. I just hate people are downing IMO the second best player on our defense. He's improving, and just because he "takes plays off" doesn't mean it's necessarily him being lazy. I'm assuming its hard to move like he does at his size. He's improving every week IMO

Reactions: 3 people
I'm not saying it is impossible. I just know very few people in the world Dan's size have better athleticism than him, but some people still feel find criticizing him. The difference between last year and this year is crazy. Dan will continue working and if he isn't a 1-2 down starting DT in the NFL I will be shocked.

I'm no way talking just about you. I just hate people are downing IMO the second best player on our defense. He's improving, and just because he "takes plays off" doesn't mean it's necessarily him being lazy. I'm assuming its hard to move like he does at his size. He's improving every week IMO

I honestly thought the light had came on in the GA and SC games. He was playing nasty. I just think he regressed the last two games and his effort had fallen off. Like I said, it's all up to him. He has all the talent and God given ability/size in the world.

People forget that McCullers is not suited for playing defensive tackle in a 4-3 scheme. Big Dan is the perfect 3-4 nose tackle and will be a high draft choice in the NFL Draft.

Depending on if you're a half glass full glass half empty kind of guy, yes or no.

lol no. A high draft choice is a high draft choice. Not knocking on Palardy by the way, just using that as an example. I think Palardy will find a home in the NFL.

And I'm cluttering up Charles Mosley's thread. I do apologize.

Back to big Charles........

Last edited:

VN Store

Back