'14 TN OL/DL Charles Mosley (UT Signee 2/5/14)

People forget that McCullers is not suited for playing defensive tackle in a 4-3 scheme. Big Dan is the perfect 3-4 nose tackle and will be a high draft choice in the NFL Draft.

This. Considering he was playing at pretty near 400 pounds as a NT in 2012, I thought he performed really well. He'll be a fine 3-4 NT at 350 pounds in the NFL.

Reactions: 1 person
Top 20 in the first round of the NFL Draft

No way in Hades Big Dan gets a look from a 4-3 defense.... Especially in the early rounds. The only teams that will look at him will be the 3-4 based defensive scheme teams.

If CP isn't a top 20 pick, Big Dan isn't either. No way he grades out in the top 20. I would love it, but I don't see it.

They don't draft guys in the 1st round based off size. He isn't consistent enough IMO.

He's a 3-4 round type of talent IMO.

Daniel McCullers begs to differ.

He shouldn't. Butch stated in the preseason that our defense "will go as Dan McCullers goes"... I would agree. We're last in the SEC vs the run, 100th in the FBS. Most of the time I can't tell that Dan is on the field. Plays with little to no aggression and just hasn't stepped up to be the dominant defensive player we desperately needed him to be.

No way in Hades Big Dan gets a look from a 4-3 defense.... Especially in the early rounds. The only teams that will look at him will be the 3-4 based defensive scheme teams.

If CP isn't a top 20 pick, Big Dan isn't either. No way he grades out in the top 20. I would love it, but I don't see it.

They don't draft guys in the 1st round based off size. He isn't consistent enough IMO.

He's a 3-4 round type of talent IMO.
Did you even read what I posted?

I said that he would be a 3-4 NT.

He shouldn't. Butch stated in the preseason that our defense "will go as Dan McCullers goes"... I would agree. We're last in the SEC vs the run, 100th in the FBS. Most of the time I can't tell that Dan is on the field. Plays with little to no aggression and just hasn't stepped up to be the dominant defensive player we desperately needed him to be.

Some people love the massive clog type guy in the middle. IMO it's a wasted spot and the stats support it. I understand why Big Dan is there, we don't have many options. Barnett, Lambert, maybe a couple other 290-300lb DTs allow us to field a more capable DL who can make plays and not just take up space.

Depends on what you need. If you need a 3-4 NT or a 4-3 NT, Dan. If you need a 3-4 DE or a 4-3 UT, Easley. Two different players

Good point, but that wasn't my initial point. I just don't see the infatuation some posters have with 98. He's all size.

Serious question, did he require double teams against Bama or Mizzou?

Apparently size is all you need. We will start Mosely in the middle game 1 and dominate next year.

Nonsense. IF Dan would play hard every play, or even most plays, then he would be dominant. When he gives everything he has on a particular play, he IS dominant. On most plays, he is just there taking up space. He doesn't get pushed back, I don't ever recall seeing that happen. But if you really watch him and you really know what you're looking for, he isn't producing a fraction of what he could be producing, simply because of lack of effort. A couple of games he seemed motivated, other than that, not so much.

Couldn't agree more. Dan averages a tackle for loss every other game. He just doesn't have the nasty streak he needs to be able to provide what UT needs from him. He's a great kid who can, but rarely flips the switch. CBJ said in the preseason that our D would go as McCullers goes..... we're currently last in rushing defense in the SEC. That says it all IMO.

Good point, but that wasn't my initial point. I just don't see the infatuation some posters have with 98. He's all size.

Serious question, did he require double teams against Bama or Mizzou?
I'd rather him not require double teams in those games and require them in the games we have a shot.

And no one is saying that (in football) size is all that matters.

It really looks like the staff is pretty determined to add a nose tackle. Looks to me like they really want a JUCO guy, Lamin, Heurtelou, or Reed, probably in that order. What are the odds of signing Mosley AND a JUCO? Odds would be pretty high if there was enough room for both.

With all of these DL that VQ is reporting we are in on and may be close to making a decision, the staff must be using it to put the pressure on who is at the top of their board. There is just no way all of these guys are takes.

With all of these DL that VQ is reporting we are in on and may be close to making a decision, the staff must be using it to put the pressure on who is at the top of their board. There is just no way all of these guys are takes.

Yep. I can't see anyway we take more than 1 more hs DL. Elam completely being out now may have finally given Mosley a spot he can commit to.

VN Store

Back