'14 TN OL/DL Charles Mosley (UT Signee 2/5/14)

True. It's nice to have the DL talent in this class coming in that we do.. "It starts up front" and CBJ addressed that nice and ear-leeeee

Yes it does. The 2007 giants had an 8 man rotation that could play any position. Versatility, and skill sets will be key to our defense. I really want to red shirt Mosley if we can and run him all year.

Yes it does. The 2007 giants had an 8 man rotation that could play any position. Versatility, and skill sets will be key to our defense. I really want to red shirt Mosley if we can and run him all year.

yea im anxious to see the improvement on and off the field from year one to two for all of our '14 guys in this incoming class.. This year were gonna take some lumps much like last year but we will def. show some flashes

40-60 pounds is a lot of weight. He might also gain a lot of speed. Can only dream. :). Reggie White was 6'5" and 291. Mosley is 6'6" at 350. Mosleys apparently very athletic for his size. I'd love to see big Charles run!

Why do you want everyone to change so much from the way the are recruited? Kids bulk up they don't drop 40-60 pounds. This is not the biggest loser it is SEC football.

Why do you want everyone to change so much from the way the are recruited? Kids bulk up they don't drop 40-60 pounds. This is not the biggest loser it is SEC football.

We play in a 4-3. We have no use for a 360 pound plug. We have two guys in the middle instead of one as you probably know. Charles is already quick for being so fat! If he slims down a crap ton, he will shoot off the line quicker, have quicker hands, close way faster, and it all ends up with more sacks.

We play in a 4-3. We have no use for a 360 pound plug. We have two guys in the middle instead of one as you probably know. Charles is already quick for being so fat! If he slims down a crap ton, he will shoot off the line quicker, have quicker hands, close way faster, and it all ends up with more sacks.

I seriously doubt he'll drop much below 320-330. I'll be shocked if this guy ever plays a snap at DE.

No it doesn't! You have way to many what if's..

Too bad Mccullers wasn't on this plan.. He could have been the next Julius Peppers.. :eek:lol: I kid, I kid.. but this is how crazy you sound right about now

It's always hilarious on this board...almost with every recruit, there are posters that try to imagine that prospect gaining or losing weight to play a completely different position than they are recruited to play. Mosley will never be anything other than an interior lineman...either DT or OG all the way. I'm not taking anything from the young man, but there is no way he has the athleticism necessary to block some of the pass rushers off the edge that this conference produces. I'm not even going to go there regarding the hilarious DE comments.

Reactions: 1 person
No it doesn't! You have way to many what if's..

Too bad Mccullers wasn't on this plan.. He could have been the next Julius Peppers.. :eek:lol: I kid, I kid.. but this is how crazy you sound right about now

Too bad we only had McCullers on a diet for only one year. He was also pretty useless as a plug for us. He lost 40 pounds last year if I remember correctly. Charles being a freshman gives us time to put him into a weight loss program. He can gain muscle, and lose fat at the same time. Big Dan was also 2 inches taller than Charles.

Red Bryant is a 300 pound DE that plays for Seattle. It's not all that crazy. Y'all are stuck in a box. My ideas are odd, but we wouldn't lose football games either....

Last edited:
Reggie White ran like a 4.7 forty.. Even if Mosley were to lose that much it's not as if he'd be coming in with a forty like that.. Gonna be a good DT for us in the coming years.. But the Reggie White comparison is reaching for the stars just a tad

Reggie was a freak athlete. He only weighed about 235 coming out of HS and was a good enough basketball player to be offered by Louisville. I watched him in the state tournament and couldn't believe he had that much quickness for his size. Guys like him come around about once every 50 years or so. We have had two of them in Reggie and Doug Atkins. Atkins was know more as a BB player coming out of Humbolt. Both were as athletic as safeties.

99% that Mosley redshirts.
And yes, he is either a DT or OG. OT requires a long armed linemen with great footwork.
There will be a ton of evaluating once all the freshmen are on campus. They'll know pretty quick how their bodies respond to the training table and S&C. Some guys will lose weight, some will gain. Last year many expected Jaylen Miller or Malik Brown to grow into tackle. Both lost weight and are DEs. Carr on the other hand is solidly around 285.
Barnett is another freshman that is likely headed to tackle. Looks a lot like Sawyers in terms of body type.

Ellis was mentioned. He was the exception at DE under Fulmer. Ellis was probably in the 275 to 280 range at UT, but didn't lose his explosiveness. Chavis used a lot of DTs who were no heavier than 280. (Billy Ratliffe, Bill Duff and Darwin Walker come immediately to mind.) He wanted guys that could move. Leverage is the key at DT, and I hope this staff focuses more on technique than they do on weight. I know Darwin personally, and he was great with leverage and a super strong guy. (First to bench 500 at UT) Actually reminds me a lot of Owen Williams in body type. Anyone here rather have McCullers over Duff, Ratliffe, Malik Jackson or Walker? Yet on paper McCullers is hands down the winner.

99% that Mosley redshirts.
And yes, he is either a DT or OG. OT requires a long armed linemen with great footwork.
There will be a ton of evaluating once all the freshmen are on campus. They'll know pretty quick how their bodies respond to the training table and S&C. Some guys will lose weight, some will gain. Last year many expected Jaylen Miller or Malik Brown to grow into tackle. Both lost weight and are DEs. Carr on the other hand is solidly around 285.
Barnett is another freshman that is likely headed to tackle. Looks a lot like Sawyers in terms of body type.

Ellis was mentioned. He was the exception at DE under Fulmer. Ellis was probably in the 275 to 280 range at UT, but didn't lose his explosiveness. Chavis used a lot of DTs who were no heavier than 280. (Billy Ratliffe, Bill Duff and Darwin Walker come immediately to mind.) He wanted guys that could move. Leverage is the key at DT, and I hope this staff focuses more on technique than they do on weight. I know Darwin personally, and he was great with leverage and a super strong guy. (First to bench 500 at UT) Actually reminds me a lot of Owen Williams in body type. Anyone here rather have McCullers over Duff, Ratliffe, Malik Jackson or Walker? Yet on paper McCullers is hands down the winner.

Technique/leverage make a huge difference. Stripling has taught a bunch of NFL draft picks, so I'm optimistic he'll get these guys low. Pretty sure I remember reading pretty consistently that he was on McCullers to play lower with better knee and waist bend, but he just never got it down for whatever reason.

Too bad we only had McCullers on a diet for only one year. He was also pretty useless as a plug for us. He lost 40 pounds last year if I remember correctly. Charles being a freshman gives us time to put him into a weight loss program. He can gain muscle, and lose fat at the same time. Big Dan was also 2 inches taller than Charles.

Red Bryant is a 300 pound DE that plays for Seattle. It's not all that crazy. Y'all are stuck in a box. My ideas are odd, but we wouldn't lose football games either....

The only problem is your sticking Mosley at DE in a system we don't even run.. A 4-3 end is outta the question but no one said he couldn't play end in a 3-4. A shaun ellis comparison is fair cuz he was a 3-4 end for many years with the Jets however Reggie White is a outside guy in a 4-3 who was a freakish athlete with good size speed combo already. Mosley is not Reggie White ever!

The only problem is your sticking Mosley at DE in a system we don't even run.. A 4-3 end is outta the question but no one said he couldn't play end in a 3-4. A shaun ellis comparison is fair cuz he was a 3-4 end for many years with the Jets however Reggie White is a outside guy in a 4-3 who was a freakish athlete with good size speed combo already. Mosley is not Reggie White ever!

I would not ever want Mosley as an every down DE. If were playing LSU or a similar team, its a great way to stop the run. My scenario of a Reggie-lite would have to be a few years down the road. I don't see how he can't lose 60 pounds in 2-3 years.

Think of players as pieces on a mobile chessboard, rather than set positions. Sometimes you need to use multiple rooks instead of a knight and a bishop to attack.

Last edited:
Reggie was a freak athlete. He only weighed about 235 coming out of HS and was a good enough basketball player to be offered by Louisville. I watched him in the state tournament and couldn't believe he had that much quickness for his size. Guys like him come around about once every 50 years or so. We have had two of them in Reggie and Doug Atkins. Atkins was know more as a BB player coming out of Humbolt. Both were as athletic as safeties.

Atkins was on a basketball scholarship when he was a freshman. As soon as Neyland saw him, he became a football player and the basketball team had a vacant scholarship. Great move by Neyland.

I would not ever want Mosley as an every down DE. If were playing LSU or a similar team, its a great way to stop the run. My scenario of a Reggie-lite would have to be a few years down the road. I don't see how he can't lose 60 pounds in 2-3 years.

Think of players as pieces on a mobile chessboard, rather than set positions. Sometimes you need to use multiple rooks instead of a knight and a bishop to attack.

In this game we get people for set positions that are versatile enough if need be to play in other places.. :hi:

Thinking a redshirt of Mosley and then two years of weight training, get him to 275 and let him play tight end. Huge upside for Jr. and Sr. Years at TE.

Not if they are running the ball down our throat. Stop the run first and foremost. Need some big strong guys.

Haynesworth was as gifted physically. Just did not have the mental aspect. When he decided to give a rip, he was unstoppable with the Titans.

Thinking a redshirt of Mosley and then two years of weight training, get him to 275 and let him play tight end. Huge upside for Jr. and Sr. Years at TE.

Boom!! Excellent idea. I'm just hoping in 2 years Creamer will have packed on enough muscle to get to 290. Can you imagine him at that weight playing DT and his explosiveness? Unstoppable!

VN Store

Back