'14 TN OL/DL Charles Mosley (UT Signee 2/5/14)

It's been ten weeks now since my ankle surgery (broken fibula). My cast was off at 7 weeks, started rehab, & now I'm walking a mile a day & starting to take some golf swings. I know, not as serious as his injury, but I'm considerably older than Big Charles. :p

Good news is I've actually lost ten pounds since my accident. Just not hungry sitting in bed all the time.

Hoping he has a speedy recovery too. :thumbsup:

Hey Kid!

Ever met an 18 y/o that was not hungery all the time? Had a car wreck when I was 18, all my front teeth were loose, 60 stitches in the corner of my mouth and below my lower lip limited food intake. Lost 10 lbs before I could figure it out. Ate any entire bucket of KFC in one sitting (torn in very small pieces) took 3 hours, but I was ravenous. Milkeshakes at every meal... :)

The truth is, tons of weight can be shed on diet alone. I cut 35 pounds in 6 months with minimal cardio.

However, big Charles got big by eating big. Now, with less mobility, it's tempting to just sit around and eat.

Chain the dietician to him, and he could drop weight, but it's going to be very easy to slide the wrong way.

Well, it's butch's issue to think through. Best recovery to Charles. Lets see how he does

5-6 small meals per day will keep his metabolic rate elevated by 30%. Great way to lose weight if you cannot exercise. Will help if he does not cheat.

Hopefully his roommates understand and will help him too.

Reactions: 1 person
What did or didn't you eat?

Leangains protocol. A combo of carb cycling, calorie cycling, eating only in an 8 hour time frame daily, and resistance training. From 16% body fat to 8.4%

Amazing stuff

Forgive me Freak, if this becomes a big tangent... Not like we would ever do anything like that around here

Last edited:
Get well, Big Charles!

You're one of my favorite recruits from the '14 class. I remember that awesome haircut you had when you committed to the Vols.

Rowing machine won't work, you need you legs. They have stationary arm bikes that he can use for the time being. He could work his upper body and be ready for rehab

I thought they had stationary rowing machines as well. I forgot about the arm bikes.

5-6 small meals per day will keep his metabolic rate elevated by 30%. Great way to lose weight if you cannot exercise. Will help if he does not cheat.

This is exactly how i did it.

Meal frequency has zero effect on metabolism.

Leangains protocol. A combo of carb cycling, calorie cycling, eating only in an 8 hour time frame daily, and resistance training. From 16% body fat to 8.4%

Amazing stuff

Forgive me Freak, if this becomes a big tangent... Not like we would ever do anything like that around here

Leangains is an excellent program! I dropped 4% over 2 months using a 6 hour eating window and no cardio. My strength went up on compound lifts, too.

Good vibes for Big Charles. He is in the right place for the best recovery mentally and physically possible

I thought they had stationary rowing machines as well. I forgot about the arm bikes.

That would be weights, I had to learn all this when I met my wife. She is a paraplegic, so you learn all the upper body exercises

That would be weights, I had to learn all this when I met my wife. She is a paraplegic, so you learn all the upper body exercises

Very cool, this actually may be a blessing in disguise!

Gives Mosley a great chance to build upper body strength and tone up.

Bench press can actually be one of the best cardio workouts by focussing on a circuit routine and repetitions during the first part of the workout and followed up by maxed reps. There are also some very good options for core building exercises without the need for leg usability.

Give your wife a thumbs up for me and yourself a pat on the back. It is a daily challenge that most of us would fail at and that we take for granted!

Very cool, this actually may be a blessing in disguise!

Gives Mosley a great chance to build upper body strength and tone up.

Bench press can actually be one of the best cardio workouts by focussing on a circuit routine and repetitions during the first part of the workout and followed up by maxed reps. There are also some very good options for core building exercises without the need for leg usability.

Give your wife a thumbs up for me and yourself a pat on the back. It is a daily challenge that most of us would fail at and that we take for granted!

She does all the work. I just get to drive a lot. Knoxville has Patrica Neil, which is awesome for spinal injuries. I just watch her beast workouts they plan for her

Reactions: 2 people
Meal frequency has zero effect on metabolism.

A meal increases your metabolic rate by 30% for for about three hours.

Ergo five or six small meals a day would increase your metabolic rate by 30% for 15 to 18 hours.

(Thanks! I've always wanted to use the word ergo in a sentence correctly. Yep, vocabulary nerd right here folks. I'll be here all week, every week Until this Internet fad is done) :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
your heal time is directly related to how hot your physical therapist is

Yes, the hotter she is the slower you heal :)

We have one therapist in our office that I think guys intentionally hurt themselves so they can get back into rehab with her. :salute:

Such a scary incident. I hope they can get over the mental part of going through that. That is a really really bad spot to wreck. Lucky it didn't happen while in the bridge above the river

A meal increases your metabolic rate by 30% for for about three hours.

Ergo five or six small meals a day would increase your metabolic rate by 30% for 15 to 18 hours.

(Thanks! I've always wanted to use the word ergo in a sentence correctly. Yep, vocabulary nerd right here folks. I'll be here all week, every week Until this Internet fad is done) :)
It takes the same amount of energy to process 2000 calories weather you eat them in one meal or six (assuming same type and quality of food). Eating larger meals take longer to process and increase metabolism for longer periods of time.

Further reading:
Meal frequency and energy balance. - PubMed Mobile

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/23/health/23really.html?src=sch&pagewanted=all&_r=0

There is a lot more literature out there if you are interested.

From 247...

Tennessee football source on freshman lineman Charles Mosley’s car accident: “I hate that he got hurt, but ... damn, if that car broke his leg, I can’t even imagine what he did to that car. That’s a big ol’ boy, now.”

A lot of research suggests that's a myth.

It's a load of BS. The reason some think that it works is because eating constantly helps stave off hunger which helps avoid temptation to reach for a sugary snack.

The only way to significantly increase your metabolism is to get fat.

VN Store

Back