'14 TN OL/DL Charles Mosley (UT Signee 2/5/14)

I'm a conservative guy, but the whole pot thing is overplayed. Look at how many of these idiot parents allow their kids to be placed on prescription drugs to "mellow" their conditions. These drugs have long term complications and can alter brain chemistry. Our society rubber stamps doping up our kids, but let's keep Pot, an otherwise benign drug, illegal.

So, the same people who are all anti-pot have seemingly no issue with the number of kids on ADD and ADHD drugs. Why?

As one who has a spouse who works in the prosecution aspect of criminal justice, our police and courts waste billions dealing with a plant. A plant that has medicinal as well as industrial benefits.

Reactions: 4 people
Speaking purely from the medicinal perspective, with no regards to the political or moral mess that tends to come with that... when I hear or see the commercials for these new, flashy drugs and then hear the list of awful, AWFUL side effects and complications that come with them...I can't help but wonder what makes weed so taboo in that sense. Sure makes me want to take my chances with a little laziness and some advanced munchies vs. Lord knows what they're putting in pills and selling for an unholy amount of money.

No doubt. My wife had a kidney transplant 4 months ago and her list of meds is a mile long. I can understand the anti-rejection, but some of these (anti-nausea), in her book are useless. A well timed toke - IHHO - is much better. Err,,,would be much better.:hi:

Reactions: 2 people
I'm a conservative guy, but the whole pot thing is overplayed. Look at how many of these idiot parents allow their kids to be placed on prescription drugs to "mellow" their conditions. These drugs have long term complications and can alter brain chemistry. Our society rubber stamps doping up our kids, but let's keep Pot, an otherwise benign drug, illegal.

So, the same people who are all anti-pot have seemingly no issue with the number of kids on ADD and ADHD drugs. Why?

As one who has a spouse who works in the prosecution aspect of criminal justice, our police and courts waste billions dealing with a plant. A plant that has medicinal as well as industrial benefits.

Yep, my point exactly. Adderall and Vyvanse are turning thousands of kids across the country into zombies...and yet pot is still a big deal? I'd rather suffer whatever extra mental jitters there are in clarity than load those into my brain.

Reminds of that movie Equilibrium on Netflix, where the population is forced to take a drug that removes all emotion. Scary stuff...and all too familiar.

I didn't smoke weed before I went on chemotherapy and I have no reason to believe it would have helped cure my cancer. A question I have for you is what is the difference between "medical marijuana" and regular old weed that the potheads I worked around used? Over a period of some 35 years I busted my tail trying to save the jobs of dozens of people that ALL started out on weed and progressed to stronger drugs to "get the feeling" they wanted (whatever that meant). Many of them lost their jobs, their homes and families because getting high meant more to them.
I don't doubt that when a person is suffering from an incurable sickness and is in unbearable pain that smoking weed might make them feel a little better. Legalizing weed for "medical" purposes or for no real reason (like Oregon and Washington) is idiotic. If a bombed out pothead runs over a family member and kills them are you going to be angry or are you going to hug them and ask if their weed made them feel better? Just asking.

Sorry to get off topic. Pulling for and praying for Big Charles to make a fast and full recovery and to get back on the field for the Vols. Same for his parents on the full and fast recovery.

With all due respect, somebody was trying to give you legitimate advice. Medical marijuana has been proven to be a very safe and effective method of increasing appetite and keeping weight on during chemo. No one said anything about it curing cancer. Also it only takes a small amount to receive benefit. No need to get "bombed out". Do you also take such self righteous stands against alcohol and all narcotic drugs, because they are more dangerous when misused and cause crippling side effects, addiction, and withdrawl symptoms.

Disclaimer: I don't even smoke weed, but it has very obvious benefits for certain situations.

Yep, my point exactly. Adderall and Vyvanse are turning thousands of kids across the country into zombies...and yet pot is still a big deal? I'd rather suffer whatever extra mental jitters there are in clarity than load those into my brain.

Reminds of that movie Equilibrium on Netflix, where the population is forced to take a drug that removes all emotion. Scary stuff...and all too familiar.

Incoming cool story bro: I know someone who went into a full blown manic state after one pill of Vyvanse and eventually had to be briefly put under psyciatric care because of it. He kept taking it for a bit as for some reason no one realized what was causing it. While admitted, the hospital tried to get him started on a boatload of other psych meds. Thank goodness people were there to keep that from happening, or he would probably still be on them all. He stopped taking Vyvanse after a few days and within a few days was completely normal again.

Some are very necessary, but I have a very poor opinion of the way many psych meds are prescribed.

With all due respect, somebody was trying to give you legitimate advice. Medical marijuana has been proven to be a very safe and effective method of increasing appetite and keeping weight on during chemo. No one said anything about it curing cancer. Also it only takes a small amount to receive benefit. No need to get "bombed out". Do you also take such self righteous stands against alcohol and all narcotic drugs, because they are more dangerous when misused and cause crippling side effects, addiction, and withdrawl symptoms.

Disclaimer: I don't even smoke weed, but it has very obvious benefits for certain situations.

I do take a stand against many of the drugs that doctors are prescribing to people now. I have 4 grandchildren and they have never been on any of the ADD and ADHD drugs that many children are put on (they are also homeschooled). I know pot won't cure cancer but I'll also stand by what I said that EVERY person that I dealt with that were in trouble at my workplace for drugs started out on pot and moved to stronger drugs. Take that however you wish.

:thumbsup:

I do take a stand against many of the drugs that doctors are prescribing to people now. I have 4 grandchildren and they have never been on any of the ADD and ADHD drugs that many children are put on (they are also homeschooled). I know pot won't cure cancer but I'll also stand by what I said that EVERY person that I dealt with that were in trouble at my workplace for drugs started out on pot and moved to stronger drugs. Take that however you wish.

I'd be willing to bet that a vast majority started with alcohol first. Or tobacco.

Reactions: 4 people
With all due respect, just because he is a doctor, does not mean all his claims are to be held as truth. It's unfortunate for physicians that so many doctors write books on misinformation.

You point out your cherry picking, yet you still hold your claims as truth. Just because your clients consumed 6 small meals a day and lost weight, that does not mean meal frequency was the reason for the weight loss. There is no strong evidence to suggest an increase in metabolic rate and body fat oxidation by way of increased meal frequency. Meal frequency would have to either effect BMR (basal metabolic rate) or TEF (thermic effect of food).
Cool dude!

I could not care less about discussing this matter further. If my patients buy into it and they are losing weight then it works.

Really more interested in football then having an academic/scientific discussion of this. Just threw in my two cents. I am not Dr. Oz.

:salute:

I don't understand why anyone would go to a medical doctor when they could go to a good tree hugger and save a lot of money. :)
Sometimes you have to eat however it's best for you at that particular time. I agree that the 5 or 6 small meals will help because I know of several cases where it helped people lose weight. In my own case my Oncologist told me to try eating several small meals each day if that was the only way I could eat and keep it down. I did try this and it worked fairly well but I still lost about 22-24 pounds over a year because I still had a hard time eating because everything tasted so terrible. You do what you have to do to survive.

I sincerely hope that everything is better for you now my Volunteer brother!

Guys, I've really tried to stay out of the meal frequency discussion. I'm going to drop one post, and bounce.

It is a fact, that for years, 6 meals a day has been proclaimed as the best way to manage weight and lose fat. Whether this works is not what our friend here is arguing. There are MANY ways to get a desired result, it just comes down to what method you can be most compliant with.

What he is saying, and rightly so, is that there is no evidence that increasing meal frequency increases your metabolism. I have done much research into this, but my word is not worth much. Several are challenging his stance, so I am providing a couple of links, based on scientific, unbiased research to prove the point.

I respect people's opinions, but honestly, I am looking for facts. So based on the most CURRENT research, if you are interested...

JISSN | Full text | International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: meal frequency

Do I need to eat six times a day to keep my metabolism high? | Examine.com FAQ

Meal Frequency and Energy Balance | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

I'm sorry I wasn't a big enough man to just let this slide, but hopefully... for the love of all that is good and orange, we can move past this now. :hi:

Experts refute notion that smaller, more frequent meals fires up the metabolism - Chicago Tribune

http://www.uwlax.edu/urc/jur-online/PDF/2003/goodman-larson-et-al.pdf

Hi Nick,
Man, I did not mean to start World War Diet!
I am out :salute:

Guys, I've really tried to stay out of the meal frequency discussion. I'm going to drop one post, and bounce.

It is a fact, that for years, 6 meals a day has been proclaimed as the best way to manage weight and lose fat. Whether this works is not what our friend here is arguing. There are MANY ways to get a desired result, it just comes down to what method you can be most compliant with.

What he is saying, and rightly so, is that there is no evidence that increasing meal frequency increases your metabolism. I have done much research into this, but my word is not worth much. Several are challenging his stance, so I am providing a couple of links, based on scientific, unbiased research to prove the point.

I respect people's opinions, but honestly, I am looking for facts. So based on the most CURRENT research, if you are interested...

JISSN | Full text | International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: meal frequency

Do I need to eat six times a day to keep my metabolism high? | Examine.com FAQ

Meal Frequency and Energy Balance | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

I'm sorry I wasn't a big enough man to just let this slide, but hopefully... for the love of all that is good and orange, we can move past this now. :hi:

Experts refute notion that smaller, more frequent meals fires up the metabolism - Chicago Tribune

http://www.uwlax.edu/urc/jur-online/PDF/2003/goodman-larson-et-al.pdf

Do any of these studies look at people that are essentially sedentary? People that cannot for whatever reason exercise?
Just curious.
Do not have time to read the articles, but thanks. My kids and I are going to see Queen in concert tonight. Tomorrow night we are going to a Rangers game. :salute:

I will try to read them on the crapper tomorrow. I should tell the Marxist guy that taking a dump will raise your metabolic rate as well. (Semi-blue font)

:)

Reactions: 1 person
Do any of these studies look at people that are essentially sedentary? People that cannot for whatever reason exercise?
Just curious.
Do not have time to read the articles, but thanks. My kids and I are going to see Queen in concert tonight. Tomorrow night we are going to a Rangers game. :salute:

I will try to read them on the crapper tomorrow. I should tell the Marxist guy that taking a dump will raise your metabolic rate as well. (Semi-blue font)

He writes like he hasn't taken one in?...the last 15 years? :crap2:

Just curious.

Am I an extraterrestrial being? Your BMR increases by 17% for each bowel movement after 2 movements per day. I prescribed my clients to laxatives. They lost so much weight! It was so awesome. Sidebar: 2 of them died.

Am I an extraterrestrial being? Your BMR increases by 17% for each bowel movement after 2 movements per day. I prescribed my clients to laxatives. They lost so much weight! It was so awesome. Sidebar: 2 of them died.

So you killed two of your clients? :blink: And you want to do the same for us? :unsure:

Wow Internet tough guy, nutrionist, and comedian All rolled in to one. :)

I bet you authored obamacare too? :)

Last edited:
So you're a murderer...WITH PERFECT GRAMMAR! :clap:

nailed-it-moon.png

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back