'14 TN OL/DL Charles Mosley (UT Signee 2/5/14)

Nice read.

Just hypothetical, but say Butch lands Gaulden, Barnett, Mosely, Malone and Sawyers to go with Hurd, Kelly, Wharton.... Would this be the greatest in-state haul in Tennessee history?

My brain: "No way to know that for a few years, we've had some good ones".

My gut: "take out sawyers and add Wilson and it has a chance".

He obviously means a steal away from the University of Alabama, you know, the football team? Nick Saban? Crimson Tide?

Of course I reserve the right to say I knew you were being sarcastic if you were.

I suspicioned as much. As you can see, I totally support Charles Mosley declaring his commitment to Tennessee. As belief is the essence of achievement, I choose to believe. Not trying to be a jerk about it; I am a fan, and a fan's role is to support the team. :hi:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I'm with you on that. I want to have guys at the DTs who look line Haynesworth and Henderson again. Run stopping monsters and pass rushers at the DEs.

My point exactly. Henderson and Haynesworth came to Tennessee at around 290lbs. When they left for the NFL they were at 295 and 315. I have no issue taking HS DTs who are 275-280 who are powerful and quick. The tugboat type who are 325+ out of HS are the ones I would rather pass on. JMO

SEC you need BIG and FAST, you need a few fast 300-320 pounders. Look at the Bama and LSU lines big and fast! GO VOLS!!

My point exactly. Henderson and Haynesworth came to Tennessee at around 290lbs. When they left for the NFL they were at 295 and 315. I have no issue taking HS DTs who are 275-280 who are powerful and quick. The tugboat type who are 325+ out of HS are the ones I would rather pass on. JMO

I agree with you. But I wouldn't mind keeping a guy like McCullers (big run stuffer) to rotate in as well. But yes I agree that, for the most part, I want guys are the 290-315 range as my starters. I think Henderson may have been bigger than that coming out because he was 6'6" but I could be wrong about that.

Last edited:
I am as well. I never said I did not want anyone over 300lbs on the DL. I said I want guys who are quick. O'Brien is very quick for 305lbs. I don't think Mosley fits what I would want on the DL. Of course I am not the coach and they obviously like him. Him being a Tennessee kid, I would BOOM just like everyone else if/when he picked the Vols. I miss the days of the prowler defense to be honest. 3-4 guys around 285-300lbs moving back and forth, causing confusion on the OL, stunting around and just causing chaos.

I remember that Defense well.
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif

Last edited:
I agree with you. But I wouldn't mind keeping a guy like McCullers (big run stuffer) to rotate in as well. But yes I agree that, for the most part, I want guys are the 290-315 range as my starters. I think Henderson may have been bigger than that coming out because he was 6'6" but I could be wrong about that.

The UT site shows Henderson at 290lbs his RSJR year.

Player Bio: John Henderson :: Football

We do currently have another run stuffer type in Mobley(SO) and he goes about 330-340.

Last edited:
lol dude is a practice squad guy.

I just named a 325+lb DT who could "plug things up". I am not a real fan of the huge DTs as I expressed earlier.

In the 3-4, it makes sense and I like the idea. Not so much in the 4-3. I like to see 245 285 300 275 across the front. Those type of guys can rush the passer and make plays while opening up lanes for the backers. Never been a fan of the guy who just clogs things up and is just kind of in the way.

Last edited:
Charles Mosley ‏@BigCharless 54s
Lawnmow ran out of gas so I came in n the first thing I see on my phone is Coach Jones wanted 2 tlk to me so ukno I had 2 call Tennessee up

Reactions: 5 people
Charles Mosley ‏@BigCharless 54s
Lawnmow ran out of gas so I came in n the first thing I see on my phone is Coach Jones wanted 2 tlk to me so ukno I had 2 call Tennessee up

CBJ had called and left a message telling him he had filled up the gas can and was on his way over. #ButchGonButch

Reactions: 2 people
I just named a 325+lb DT who could "plug things up". I am not a real fan of the huge DTs as I expressed earlier.

In the 3-4, it makes sense and I like the idea. Not so much in the 4-3. I like to see 245 285 300 275 across the front. Those type of guys can rush the passer and make plays while opening up lanes for the backers. Never been a fan of the guy who just clogs things up and is just kind of in the way.

I'll just take my 310-330 linemen and plow your dline day after day. There is a Nose Tackle in the 4-3. He plays in the 0-1 gap depending on strong side. Without this bigger tackle, Alabama will run all over us.

Last edited:
I'll just my 310-330 linemen and plow your dline day after day. There is a Nose Tackle in the 4-3. He plays in the 0-1 gap depending on strong side. Without this bigger tackle, Alabama will run all over us.

Agreed. Need a competent big body to replace McCullers. Lamin or Mosley would be the most likely choices to fill this role.

VN Store

Back