'14 TN OL/DL Charles Mosley (UT Signee 2/5/14)

Q: How's the progress of recruiting the D-Linemen going? (Barnett, Ford, Mosely)
A: I think 2 out of those 3 are ours from talking with them

from Booth's ask.fm

Reactions: 1 person
"So, with the newest flurry of commitments, what does the board look like? On defense, it's start with the defensive line and instate players Charles Mosley and Derek Barnett and Tennessee continues to be in a two team race for each player.

With Mosley, it continues to be an Alabama and Tennessee battle with the Vols making up some serious ground this summer. Look for Mosley to begin scheduling visits very soon."

- VQ

Reactions: 2 people
I was really hoping that if we take Mosley it would strictly be for the OL. I don't like that he is higher than Humphreys on the DL board.

I was really hoping that if we take Mosley it would strictly be for the OL. I don't like that he is higher than Humphreys on the DL board.

I get the feeling Humphreys goes elsewhere. I like him at DT a lot more than Mosley. Mosley being in state may trump that though. I see Mosley as a value as he could possibly play OL or DL. I am thinking WI for Humphreys.

I would be just as happy with him at OG. But if our most pressing need is at DT, then so be it. I'd rather have a 6'5" 340lb DT than a 6'1" 280lb playing against Bamer, any day of the week.

Reactions: 1 person
Even though Mosely can play on either side of the ball, I think Humphreys is a better overall prospect. Best case scenario we just get both Humphreys and Mosely...

Reactions: 2 people
I would be just as happy with him at OG. But if our most pressing need is at DT, then so be it. I'd rather have a 6'5" 340lb DT than a 6'1" 280lb playing against Bamer, any day of the week.

That 280 guy won't be playing at that weight when he hits the strength program.

Give me a quick, disruptive guy at 300-315 over a 330+ guy any day of the week.

Ehhhh. On Mosley if say he was from NC and he was his size and had his offer list he has now, we'd still want him. We need big guys

I really disagree. Florida and SC seem to do just fine on the DL without guys hovering around 350.

I really disagree. Florida and SC seem to do just fine on the DL without guys hovering around 350.
I guarantee you he will be a fit 330-335 or so at most if we do land him after one year at UT. Butch and co have helped McCullers get down from 380+ down to under 350 in their short time here

You can't coach size, and this guy has loads of it. On DL, a guy like that doesn't have to be super great at technique or super quickness. He Just has to take up space and reserve blockers. That will be good enough in most scenarios. If he adds strength while slimming down and adding some burst, then we've got an ideal DT that any team in the country would have to game plan around.

Reactions: 3 people
You can't coach size, and this guy has loads of it. On DL, a guy like that doesn't have to be super great at technique or super quickness. He Just has to take up space and reserve blockers. That will be good enough in most scenarios. If he adds strength while slimming down and adding some burst, then we've got an ideal DT that any team in the country would have to game plan around.

He needs to have good burst and strength. This whole "size is all that matters/tie up blockers" argument is nonsense.

I get the feeling Humphreys goes elsewhere. I like him at DT a lot more than Mosley. Mosley being in state may trump that though. I see Mosley as a value as he could possibly play OL or DL. I am thinking WI for Humphreys.

The general conscensus is that the staff likes Mosley probably a little more than Humphries. Dont get me wrong they would take both. Mosley and Barnett along with Hendrix are the 3 remaining tops on the board. Williams is also another prospect that the staff likes alot. If signing day was today Williams would be the odd man out

So no Williams or Humphreys? Wow. And we aren't even 100% sure that Mosley will stay at DT.
Yeah this won't happen. If all 3 of the aforementioned wanted to commit today, we take them all IMO. Only way we tell one no is if we are super confident we land Barnett and Hendrix

He needs to have good burst and strength. This whole "size is all that matters/tie up blockers" argument is nonsense.

You are missing the point. Size isn't the only thing that matters, but it DOES matter a lot. He is already 3/4 of the way to being a good DT. Doesn't need to do much more besides working on technique and firing off. He will be good.

You are missing the point. Size isn't the only thing that matters, but it DOES matter a lot. He is already 3/4 of the way to being a good DT. Doesn't need to do much more besides working on technique and firing off. He will be good.

Except that the "experts" and Bama disagree and say that he should be on the OL.

I truly believe that if he wasn't from TN we wouldn't be much of a player for him.

Look at it this way...he is the ONLY DT of that size that we are recruiting. I think that says a lot. Our defensive staff also doesn't have a history of recruiting guys at this size either.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back