'14 TN OL/DL Charles Mosley (UT Signee 2/5/14)

Why didn't Mosley make the top 250?

"His weight is a major concern. Last time we weighed him he checked in at 6-5 358 and it wasn't exactly a muscular 358. We need to see him round into form before we're ready to make that move."

-Woody Wommack

Lol.

Why didn't Mosley make the top 250?

"His weight is a major concern. Last time we weighed him he checked in at 6-5 358 and it wasn't exactly a muscular 358. We need to see him round into form before we're ready to make that move."

-Woody Wommack

Lol.

Can totally understand where they are coming from. I think he is at least 30-40lbs from being in playing shape at a competitive level. The kid is carrying a lot of bad weight. You would think someone close to him would have tried to get him to understand how much it would boost his worth as a player to drop some of the weight. A coach, a parent, someone. I would not doubt that CBJ and staff have said something to him about it.

Can totally understand where they are coming from. I think he is at least 30-40lbs from being in playing shape at a competitive level. The kid is carrying a lot of bad weight. You would think someone close to him would have tried to get him to understand how much it would boost his worth as a player to drop some of the weight. A coach, a parent, someone. I would not doubt that CBJ and staff have said something to him about it.

I understand this as a concern, but didn't I see that he just turned 17? He is still young to be upset at a kid for this. Once he gets into a college program, you would think that it gets better. I just find it hard to be real upset at someone who was just 16 years old.

Bama is not concerned about his weight. You would think that would be enough for Rivals. Of course he named UT his leader however.

Rivals stinks.

I understand this as a concern, but didn't I see that he just turned 17? He is still young to be upset at a kid for this. Once he gets into a college program, you would think that it gets better. I just find it hard to be real upset at someone who was just 16 years old.

Doubt anyone's upset. It's just that you have to evaluate him on his potential alot more because of his bad weight. Once he starts dropping the pounds I bet he will be a force to be reckoned with at the SEC level. His size alone can let him manhandle kids in highschool.

Doubt anyone's upset. It's just that you have to evaluate him on his potential alot more because of his bad weight. Once he starts dropping the pounds I bet he will be a force to be reckoned with at the SEC level. His size alone can let him manhandle kids in highschool.

This seems contradictory. He has bad weight now which is hurting his potential.... but once he starts dropping pounds he will reach his potential?

Wasn't McCullers listed at 380, but thought to be closing in on 400 at one point before NSD? Weight didn't seem to be as much of an issue for the analysts with him.

Was that just because McCullers was being recruited strictly as a NT?

I think he is closer to 350.

1376277981756.gif

Bad weight can be dropped fairly easily with diet, exercise, and discipline. He will deff get the first 2 at UT, the 3rd is up to him. I have no doubt he will do it and be a monster for us down the road.

How would excess amounts of bad weight be helpful in your development?

I understand, but if you are evaluating him on potential you would have to reasonably believe he will shed the bad weight on a college strength program and diet schedule. If not, then you are saying he has an unfixable eating problem and he won't ever reach his potential.

Bad weight can be dropped fairly easily with diet, exercise, and discipline. He will deff get the first 2 at UT, the 3rd is up to him. I have no doubt he will do it and be a monster for us down the road.

That's what my wife keeps telling me but I'm telling her "it ain't dat easy!".

I understand, but if you are evaluating him on potential you would have to reasonably believe he will shed the bad weight on a college strength program and diet schedule. If not, then you are saying he has an unfixable eating problem and he won't ever reach his potential.

I think part of the rating is based on the immediacy of the impact he can have in a program. So if he needs a year or 2 of development before he can reach his potential he's not going to be rated as high as someone who comes in day one ready to play at a high potential. So his current developmental progress compared to his peers is a factor in the evaluation. I think all the evaluations are essentially comparative in nature.

Issues with his weight and ranking are completely legitimate. It is one of those "risk/rewards", all depending upon his motivation.

Bad weight comes from bad habits, and the strength/motivation to break those habit are not always exercised by individuals, no matter what the consequences/rewards are.

Issues with his weight and ranking are completely legitimate. It is one of those "risk/rewards", all depending upon his motivation.

Bad weight comes from bad habits, and the strength/motivation to break those habit are not always exercised by individuals, no matter what the consequences/rewards are.

That is my concern with the kid. I think he has been hearing for quite some time it would be in his best interest football career wise to drop some of the weight. He has just not decided to do so. Some kids just don't make the effort no matter what their situation is. Just have to hope the UT coaches can get him to see the light. Would not be a bad thing to give the kid a goal. Want to be a Vol? You need to be 325 to sign a LOI. JMO

If anyone can push his buttons and motivate him, Butch can.

Wasn't McCullers listed at 380, but thought to be closing in on 400 at one point before NSD? Weight didn't seem to be as much of an issue for the analysts with him.

Was that just because McCullers was being recruited strictly as a NT?

Yeah but McCullers is also like 6'8". Those extra inches equate to many pounds.

When I think of players with bad weight in high school, I think of players like Terrance Cody, Dan McCullers, Albert Haynesworth, etc. In other words, if you name one fat bust out of high school, I will name ten that turned into studs. When you join a collegiate athletic team, motivation becomes forced, it is no longer a choice.

VN Store

Back