'14 TN OL/DL Charles Mosley (UT Signee 2/5/14)

when a kid is 358 lbs at 6'5". its a lot to expect that guy to be below 320. 40 lbs of weight loss seems drastic for this guy, hes a monster kid.

id say realistically, granted im not an athletic trainer but ive strength trained for almost 20 years, that in a d-1 program hes likely end up at 330.

this dude is gonna be a big time college dlineman

I think part of the rating is based on the immediacy of the impact he can have in a program. So if he needs a year or 2 of development before he can reach his potential he's not going to be rated as high as someone who comes in day one ready to play at a high potential. So his current developmental progress compared to his peers is a factor in the evaluation. I think all the evaluations are essentially comparative in nature.

Chatt gets it.

when a kid is 358 lbs at 6'5". its a lot to expect that guy to be below 320. 40 lbs of weight loss seems drastic for this guy, hes a monster kid.

id say realistically, granted im not an athletic trainer but ive strength trained for almost 20 years, that in a d-1 program hes likely end up at 330.

this dude is gonna be a big time college dlineman

The level of sophistication in training and diet will have him down 20 lbs a month after he steps on campus.

Reactions: 1 person
The level of sophistication in training and diet will have him down 20 lbs a month after he steps on campus.

Does the UT staff somehow limit what players can consume outside of the training table?

What keeps a guy from raiding the snack machine and hitting the Wendy's on the strip for his 4th meal?

Does the UT staff somehow limit what players can consume outside of the training table?

What keeps a guy from raiding the snack machine and hitting the Wendy's on the strip for his 4th meal?

Just tell them they have to count every stair in Neyland with their feet if they get caught. Should do the trick.

I don't know how they do it on campus but 3 meals is not the way to go if you want to lose weight. It's much more effective to have smaller meals more often throughout the day. I think most personal trainers will tell you to budget your calorie needs over the course of something like 6 meals per day evenly spaced. That way you avoid the hunger pains and the urge to binge. He just needs a personal trainer (Lawson). :)

Just tell them they have to count every stair in Neyland with their feet if they get caught. Should do the trick.

You've obviously never been around a compulsive eater or an addict. Warning an alcoholic of impending punishment if they drink will have zero effect from my experience. Not saying Mosley is this way as he might just be a large framed person who has a family where huge meals are a norm, but some folks are as addicted to food as others are to booze and drugs.

I recall Dan Williams being too heavy out of HS and not being highly ranked as a result, but he firmed up and it payed off big

Last edited:
Why didn't Mosley make the top 250?

"His weight is a major concern. Last time we weighed him he checked in at 6-5 358 and it wasn't exactly a muscular 358. We need to see him round into form before we're ready to make that move."

-Woody Wommack

Lol.

Sounds to me that he's already "rounded" into form...amirite?

You've obviously never been around a compulsive eater or an addict. Warning an alcoholic of impending punishment if they drink will have zero effect from my experience. Not saying Mosley is this way as he might just be a large framed person who has a family where huge meals are a norm, but some folks are as addicted to food as others are to booze and drugs.

I recall Dan Williams being too heavy out of HS and not being highly ranked as a result, but he firmed up and it payed off big

nb4 Taz says he isn't overweight

Get back to your nap...what do you think a message board is for if not to have discussions.

The funny thing is I really did take a nap lol.
I just didn't wanna see a bunch of harsh talk about the guys weight or someone saying he has an eating disorder, not that anybody did, but with these kids looking around on here, I didn't want Big Charles mad at Volnation when we all want him on board. I know, I'm a sissy.

Its the recruiting services saying CM's weight is an issue, not the Volnation - maybe CM is mad at Scout or Rivals?

CBJ and staff have reviewed him and determined they want him on the team. Obviously they don't think its a long term problem so why would VN?

The discussion was on how the coaching staff could monitor freshmen football players' calorie intake, not anything negative toward CM.

The recruiting services just missed on Williams. He had some very good offers coming out of HS. Miami, Oklahoma among others in addition to Tennessee. It was weird the services rated him low because of his "weight" issues yet his teamate OL prospect Malcolm Rawls was a 4-star who had far far worse weight issues.

The recruiting services just missed on Williams. He had some very good offers coming out of HS. Miami, Oklahoma among others in addition to Tennessee. It was weird the services rated him low because of his "weight" issues yet his teamate OL prospect Malcolm Rawls was a 4-star who had far far worse weight issues.

My memory was DM was a throw in in order to get MR, then MR didn't do much at all and DM's a high NFL draft choice.

One more example of how difficult player evaluation is with high schoolers.

My memory was DM was a throw in in order to get MR, then MR didn't do much at all and DM's a high NFL draft choice.

One more example of how difficult player evaluation is with high schoolers.

You might be right but I thought Rawls actually committed before Williams. Either way, Rawls was the higher rated prospect somehow. I remember watching both their film in HS and wondering if the recruiting services had the two prospects confused. Williams was a beast and Rawls was quite honestly fat, soft, out of shape and incredibly slow.

I saw him towards the end of July at a camp. Does he have some bad weight? Sure, but I thought he looked like he was in a little better shape myself.

VN Store

Back