'14 TN OL/DL Charles Mosley (UT Signee 2/5/14)

If we ultimately land Mosley, Hendrix, Henderson, Barnett, Lambert, and another DL (probably JUCO), no one should be complaining. That is a great DL class.

People would complain about that class?? Sheesh. This board has posters that will complain about anything.

If we ultimately land Mosley, Hendrix, Henderson, Barnett, Lambert, and another DL (probably JUCO), no one should be complaining. That is a great DL class.

JUCO and HS and the perceived difference is being overrated in here. Vereen and his performances to date are a perfect example. It is not inconceivable that a freshman out of HS can meaningfully contribute.

Mosley won't play next year in his current shape.

Barnett will probably see a lot of PT as a SDE and might even slide inside some depending on how much weight he gains. Hendrix will also play as will Henderson if he can put on a good 20 lbs. Lots of PT in the future here at UT for freshman DL, even with 2 JuCo guys.

Mosley won't play next year in his current shape.

Barnett will probably see a lot of PT as a SDE and might even slide inside some depending on how much weight he gains. Hendrix will also play as will Henderson if he can put on a good 20 lbs. Lots of PT in the future here at UT for freshman DL, even with 2 JuCo guys.

I agree. Miller, Smith, McCullers, Walls, and Hood are gone. There is a ton of PT up for grabs. Saulsberry, Williams, Vereen, O'Brien, and Carr are all we have when I think of guys realistically contributing. I thought Lewis would get looks, but apparently he's not good enough, at least right now. On the JUCO argument, I just think too many of us expect JUCO players to contribute right away and that they all are ready to play at an SEC level. How many really contribute each year out of each recruiting class? Maybe I'm wrong.

I agree. Miller, Smith, McCullers, Walls, and Hood are gone. There is a ton of PT up for grabs. Saulsberry, Williams, Vereen, O'Brien, and Carr are all we have when I think of guys realistically contributing. I thought Lewis would get looks, but apparently he's not good enough, at least right now. On the JUCO argument, I just think too many of us expect JUCO players to contribute right away and that they all are ready to play at an SEC level. How many really contribute each year out of each recruiting class? Maybe I'm wrong.

Saulsberry, Carr, O'Brien, and one JuCo like McDowdell could hold down a serviceable interior with Barnett and Lambert sliding inside on passing downs. Combinations of Vereen, Lewis, Williams, Hendrix, Henderson, and Miller (Maybe Brown and Vickers) should be enough on the ends.

I agree with you in the JuCo. I think the importance for them lies in the maturity of their bodies. I don't believe the learning curve is much different between a well coached high school player and a JuCo. Guys like Patterson are an exception and even he was very raw.

Reactions: 1 person
Saulsberry, Carr, O'Brien, and one JuCo like McDowdell could hold down a serviceable interior with Barnett and Lambert sliding inside on passing downs. Combinations of Vereen, Lewis, Williams, Hendrix, Henderson, and Miller (Maybe Brown and Vickers) should be enough on the ends.

I agree with you in the JuCo. I think the importance for them lies in the maturity of their bodies. I don't believe the learning curve is much different between a well coached high school player and a JuCo. Guys like Patterson are an exception and even he was very raw.

Clark had a good play last week, too. Would be nice if he can add depth.

Agree about JUCO except that on the DL I feel like there is less to learn and especially DL is more about physical development where JUCO players have a decided advantage. It seems like we've had pretty good luck over the years taking transfer DTs.

I don't think its sustainable to only take JUCO like has been suggested here; you've got to take HS guys and develop them because the talent pool is just bigger, and some will play for 3 years.

Update:

"Said he had a great visit yesterday for his first Tennessee game and he really liked the atmosphere. He said it did nothing but cement the Vols as the top team for him.

As for an announcement he said there's still a possibility of him announcing Friday but he's leaning towards holding off and taking some more visits. He said Wednesday he'll let everyone know if he's going to announce Friday. I'll have the full story later tonight."

-Fortenberry

It'll be interesting if he announces today whether he will commit Friday or hold off.

What are the rules on providing recruits transportation to games? Are non-donors permitted to provide the transportation?

He hasn't said, yet. But, after talking to him Sunday I'd be surprised if he did something Friday night. We'll know for sure tonight. Tennessee still leads here and I don't think it's necessarily a bad sign for the Vols. Obviously, you want him to commit if you're Tennessee, but he still really likes the Vols.

- Per Fortenberry on whether Mosley will announce Friday

What are the rules on providing recruits transportation to games? Are non-donors permitted to provide the transportation?

To go along with this, wouldn't alumni also be prohibited from giving rides even if they are non-donors?

A Guide to NCAA Regulations for Donors, Alumni, and Friends of Bronco Athletics - Bronco Athletic Association - Boise State University

Pretty good breakdown. Looks like a UT alum that has never donated money to the University and has never been a part of an alumni group and provide transportation or other benefits to a recruit. Am I reading that correctly?

Prior relationship is the key IMO. A booster that has a prior relationship would be in no violation if they allowed a kid to ride to a game with them.

Again the NCAA would have issue with a school connecting boosters to a recruit for transportation.

A Guide to NCAA Regulations for Donors, Alumni, and Friends of Bronco Athletics - Bronco Athletic Association - Boise State University

Pretty good breakdown. Looks like a UT alum that has never donated money to the University and has never been a part of an alumni group and provide transportation or other benefits to a recruit. Am I reading that correctly?

My only question is, what does "Have been involved in promoting BSU athletics in any way" mean? Am I involved with promoting UT athletics if I attend a game, post on a message board, hold up a sign, tell a recruit Tennessee is a great place? If so, then I would be barred from giving a ride. Maybe it just refers to employees of the university though.

My only question is, what does "Have been involved in promoting BSU athletics in any way" mean? Am I involved with promoting UT athletics if I attend a game, post on a message board, hold up a sign, tell a recruit Tennessee is a great place? If so, then I would be barred from giving a ride. Maybe it just refers to employees of the university though.

Involved I believed is defined by relationship as mentioned. You have to be a part of a recognized organization by that school. For example Volnation is not an official sanctioned organization by UT, but an official alumni organization that you are a member of would be considered involved if you are listed as a member of that chapter qualifies you as involved.

The issue really comes from how the NCAA defines it when there may be concern. Several years ago a few guys I think part of an official Kansas or KSU fan group, that was officially recognized by the school went to a local HS game in their area. While attending the game they wore the school name on their shirts and after the game approached a recruit the school was recruiting. Even though it was determined all they said was great game and hope you pick our school, the NCAA determined it was illegal contact by someone officially representing the school by being a member of that group and wearing school shirts. The school was not allowed to recruit the player for like a year. But the NCAA never says anything about a HS school who is a former alum/player that brings recruits back to their alma mater.

Involved I believed is defined by relationship as mentioned. You have to be a part of a recognized organization by that school. For example Volnation is not an official sanctioned organization by UT, but an official alumni organization that you are a member of would be considered involved if you are listed as a member of that chapter qualifies you as involved.

The issue really comes from how the NCAA defines it when there may be concern. Several years ago a few guys I think part of an official Kansas or KSU fan group, that was officially recognized by the school went to a local HS game in their area. While attending the game they wore the school name on their shirts and after the game approached a recruit the school was recruiting. Even though it was determined all they said was great game and hope you pick our school, the NCAA determined it was illegal contact by someone officially representing the school by being a member of that group and wearing school shirts. The school was not allowed to recruit the player for like a year. But the NCAA never says anything about a HS school who is a former alum/player that brings recruits back to their alma mater.

I am about to donate money to the Alabama athletic department then recruit the he!! out of some players from the Southeast. I will document all of my monetary transgressions/transactions with Bama recruits.

Reactions: 9 people
I am about to donate money to the Alabama athletic department then recruit the he!! out of some players from the Southeast. I will document all of my monetary transgressions/transactions with Bama recruits.
I've always said that if I won the lottery, I would donate some money to Alabama and go make it rain on some prospects, all while being "secretly" video taped.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back