2023 NCAA Post Season (HOSTING) Discussion Thread - Merged

Will the Vols make it to NCAA Tournament in 2023

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For the most part they’ve taken care of things at home, the sweep by VU on the road…mostly, age old adage…don’t lose the series at home and don’t get swept on the road. On my end, what if we win one game versus Missouri? We didn’t and they have turned out to be who we thought they were. All I got. Sometimes, it just goes the way it goes, it’s an algorithm after all.

You good?

That's where I found their RPI.

I've looked and I don't get it. Yes, they swept Indiana State. That's nice and all, but if that's what you are hanging your hat on....I still don't get it.

They swept South Carolina and that's a really big deal.

But, overall, I don't see the #2 RPI.

I just don't

this is why the RPI is less and less important every year. There are statically anomalies that make the numbers lie. In 2022, DBU was neck and neck with Tennessee the better part of the season. No one in their right mind thought DBU was the 2nd best team in Division 1. DBU was even worse because they actually lost a lot of those Q1 games.

Kentucky has played a lot of first place teams in other conferences, big whoop. They're also not going to finish in the top third of their own conference. Why does UK get more credit when Indiana State beats than when they lose 4 straight SEC series?

I believe Kentucky is going to finish under .500 in their own conference and will still be a top-10 RPI team. That's laughable

this is why the RPI is less and less important every year. There are statically anomalies that make the numbers lie. In 2022, DBU was neck and neck with Tennessee the better part of the season. No one in their right mind thought DBU was the 2nd best team in Division 1. DBU was even worse because they actually lost a lot of those Q1 games.

Kentucky has played a lot of first place teams in other conferences, big whoop. They're also not going to finish in the top third of their own conference. Why does UK get more credit when Indiana State beats than when they lose 4 straight SEC series?

I believe Kentucky is going to finish under .500 in their own conference and will still be a top-10 RPI team. That's laughable

Very fair assessment of RPI. Where did DBU finish last year, and NCAA seeding. Do you recall? I think KY can go to LSU and win that series. They won't win against their ACE, but I can see them putting some pressure on LSU (especially late in game -- they've done it to us twice) and LSU is prone to late game collapses this year.

I don’t disagree. For better or worse, every weekend, both teams know what to do, the metrics are the metrics. We don’t have to like it, but the immeasurable is also true. Who is playing great at the end of the season is also important. It’s a factor. Handle business tomorrow. Worry about next week, next week.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Very fair assessment of RPI. Where did DBU finish last year, and NCAA seeding. Do you recall? I think KY can go to LSU and win that series. They won't win against their ACE, but I can see them putting some pressure on LSU (especially late in game -- they've done it to us twice) and LSU is prone to late game collapses this year.
30th
RPI (Live) 2022 College Baseball | WarrenNolan.com

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Question, if we are the “first team out” of hosting a regional making us the top 2 does that give us that lowest ranked host?
….errr, kind of like that. There are other considerations, geography, rivalries, can they match us up with a strong mid major in the first game… 😏

I even added NC State to my post at 31-18..
NC state isn’t projected to host. They’re barely expected to make it in. Clemson is 16-12 against top 50 teams that’s as stout as anyone and they’ve won 10 of their last 11 ON THE ROAD. If they’re somehow not a host then whoever is hosting them will be extremely nervous.

….errr, kind of like that. There are other considerations, geography, rivalries, can they match us up with a strong mid major in the first game… 😏
Question, if we are the “first team out” of hosting a regional making us the top 2 does that give us that lowest ranked host?
If so, then that would put us against the number one seed in the Super Regionals.

Reactions: knoxvol52
If so, then that would put us against the number one seed in the Super Regionals.

Nah. There are some general rules. But, they do factor in the other stuff mentioned.

Once you get that far, anyone can beat anyone with right pitching, timely hitting, lucky bounces, etc.

Last year, we were the one seed. Notre Dame coming to our place was a very tough matchup. They had a good team, and we were tight as the favorite.

Nah. There are some general rules. But, they do factor in the other stuff mentioned.

Once you get that far, anyone can beat anyone with right pitching, timely hitting, lucky bounces, etc.

Last year, we were the one seed. Notre Dame coming to our place was a very tough matchup. They had a good team, and we were tight as the favorite.

Notre Dame was the 2 seed at Georgia Southern region as well. That super region was a lot like Sunday’s game. Balls hit right at people. Frustrating

I was researching a bit.

What the hell is Duke going to do?
My high school down the road has a better facility than Duke
The Durham Bulls are in town that weekend so that rules out their park
I hear the coach wants to bring in bleachers and host on campus but that SUCKS

Maybe the NCAA needs to tell these so-called P5 teams to get there $hit together if they want to be continue play at highest level in baseball.

Requirements:
A hard number on permanent seats (seats and bleachers-not berms) . Say 2,500 (not unreasonable) No temporary seating to get to 2,500. Temp seats to go above 2000.
Hosting only allowed at your normal facility. (half your home games played at that stadium)
Must have minimum lighting requirements (sorry Kentucky)
Perhaps even requiring an average PAID attendance in their last 10 home game. Something low 500-1000

If you're going to be a Division 1 program, then the NCAA needs to encourage schools to actually invest in the program. With only 11.7 scholarships, they can certainly put the money in facilities

There are several P5 schools with terrible stadiums, especially should you consider the Big-10 a P% baseball conference.

Last edited:
D1 Baseball has been aggressively harsh with Tennessee at times this year. Their latest projections have us in Morgantown drawing the #6 national seed in WVU. Last week, BEFORE taking the Kentucky series, they had us going to #12 seed Coastal Carolina and were discussing how strong weekends against Kentucky and South Carolina could have us as a regional host. I'm not sure how you explain that one.

D1Baseball Field of 64 Projections: May 17 • D1Baseball

VN Store

Back