2023 NCAA Post Season (HOSTING) Discussion Thread - Merged

Will the Vols make it to NCAA Tournament in 2023

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here is the latest projections from the D1 baseball nerdcast. Vols just outside the top 16. Cited the road record as a major blemish. Still can play our way in.

1 Wake
2 Florida
3 Arkansas
4 LSU
5 Stanford
6 Clemson
7 Vandy
8 Virginia
9 Kentucky
10 Coastal
11 Miami
12 Auburn
13 Oklahoma State
14 Alabama
15 Boston College
16 Texas

I would love to know the case for Alabama over Tennessee other than the slightly higher RPI. Only real difference I can see is they swept Mizzou on the road and we got swept. That Mizzou series continues to be a resume killer for us like we all knew it would be. What a weird anomaly of a series that was that is nipping at our heels. Ugh.

I would love to know the case for Alabama over Tennessee other than the slightly higher RPI. Only real difference I can see is they swept Mizzou on the road and we got swept. That Mizzou series continues to be a resume killer for us like we all knew it would be. What a weird anomaly of a series that was that is nipping at our heels. Ugh.

They cited RPI, road record, and non-conference SOS all being in Bama’s favor.

They cited RPI, road record, and non-conference SOS all being in Bama’s favor.

We apparently need to start scheduling tougher non-conference opponents because our non-conference SOS was not great last year either and if not for a historic season in the SEC I’m sure it would have been used against us during seeding.

We apparently need to start scheduling tougher non-conference opponents because our non-conference SOS was not great last year either and if not for a historic season in the SEC I’m sure it would have been used against us during seeding.
I wonder how much, if any difference it would have made to our RPI if we would have pulled that game against BC out? But you’re right, the real thorn in our side is the Missouri series.

Here is the latest projections from the D1 baseball nerdcast. Vols just outside the top 16. Cited the road record as a major blemish. Still can play our way in.

1 Wake
2 Florida
3 Arkansas
4 LSU
5 Stanford
6 Clemson
7 Vandy
8 Virginia
9 Kentucky
10 Coastal
11 Miami
12 Auburn
13 Oklahoma State
14 Alabama
15 Boston College
16 Texas

ZERO excuse to have Kentucky as a host, especially as high as #9

RPI is ALL they have and that was earned due to their cute OOC scheduling.

and then to give them a relatively cakewalk region.

then to hand a region over to Texas! WTF?!?!?

I struggle to think there is a realistic path for us to get a Top 8 seed. Even if we win the entire tournament, I still think we’d max out at the 10-seed line.

Still, the funniest part of this entire debate is Kentucky being in the conversation. They’ve lost 6 of their 10 SEC series and 6 out of their last 7 to end the season. That #1 RPI is fool’s gold. They really aren’t that great.
It is a lesson in OOC scheduling, for sure though.

ZERO excuse to have Kentucky as a host, especially as high as #9

RPI is ALL they have and that was earned due to their cute OOC scheduling.

and then to give them a relatively cakewalk region.

then to hand a region over to Texas! WTF?!?!?
No one in the Big12 deserves to host. NO ONE!

They talked about RPI RPI RPI but Texas is #23 and Okie State is #20 both with far fewer top25 games and wins

Tennessee has played 19 top25 games (9-10) Texas 9 (4-5) OSU 10 (4-6) Texas has !#$%!#$ three Q3 loss

1 Wake
2 Florida
3 Arkansas
4 LSU
5 Stanford
6 Clemson
7 Vandy
8 Virginia
9 Kentucky
10 Coastal
11 Miami
12 Auburn
13 Oklahoma State
14 Alabama
15 Boston College
16 Texas

Texas’ record versus the SEC this season is 0-4. We have identical records, overall. If they get the last spot it’s because of regions, not body of work.

They talked about RPI RPI RPI but Texas is #23 and Okie State is #20 both with far fewer top25 games and wins

Tennessee has played 19 top25 games (9-10) Texas 9 (4-5) OSU 10 (4-6) Texas has !#$%!#$ three Q3 loss
…relax Rufus…. It’s just D1. 😂🤣

Reactions: StarRaider

It’s unfathomable that 33% of our entire schedule was against Top 25 opponents, which includes the midweek games. Just….wow.

I agree that if Texas and OSU get regional hosting privileges over us it is because the committee is too scared to give 8 sites to the SEC. If they follow their own metrics and formulas meant to determine these things, there really is no case and no metric that supports Texas over Tennessee other than regular season conference championship, and if that’s the case we might as well just change the rules to state all conference champions get automatic hosting privileges otherwise what is the point of even doing all of this….

Feels like someone is going to get hosed simply because of geography if nothing else. At least that's what they'll hide behind.

Which, if its us but we get a better draw...might work out ok.

Reactions: Ned Land and vol66
Feels like someone is going to get hosed simply because of geography if nothing else. At least that's what they'll hide behind.

Which, if its us but we get a better draw...might work out ok.

Yep. It’s great bulletin board material, chip on your shoulder and all. If the Committee views how you finish as a metric, they can make a case for us over a couple others for the 16 spot, other than Dickey, no injuries. Some of those teams have significant injuries, so if that’s a metric…we shall see. Gotta beat Tamu.

I wonder how much, if any difference it would have made to our RPI if we would have pulled that game against BC out? But you’re right, the real thorn in our side is the Missouri series.
I was just thinking the same thing. Plus, what if we would have followed virtually all of the other SEC schools and cancelled our last game vs Belmont? I admire CTV for honoring his commitment and playing that game—plus getting a chance to empty his bench and get playing time for folks that likely won’t see any for the remainder of the year.

However, It hurt our SOS and RPI for sure. We really needed to do better than 1-5 vs MZ and GA, but I’m super proud of how the team finished 2nd half of SEC at 11-4.

How can the same guys who rank a team #13, not give them a host?
From D1 Baseball....

Aaron Fitt: These are two different exercises. The field of 64 projections represent our attempt to forecast how the committee will construct the field next weekend, based on the criteria that we know the committee uses. We don’t lean on the RPI metrics when constructing the Top 25, which is more of a barometer of how teams are playing. If you get into the Top 25 and keep on winning all your weekends, you’re going to keep rising, and generally won’t drop even if you lack those marquee wins. The Top 25 is therefore weighted toward series wins, which we believe is a huge marker of a good team. To break into the Top 25 as a mid-major who lacks those high-end wins, you have to have a talented roster that we believe is capable of making a run in the postseason, and you need some good wins even if they aren’t necessarily top 25/50 RPI wins. But once you’re in, you typically don’t drop out unless you lose series.

D1 baseball has Alabama Auburn and Kentucky all hosting and we are stuck in stupid Miami as a 2 seed. What a joke. Texas ranked 20 also hosting, and we are ranked 13 with exactly same record. Alabama ranked 24. This is ridiculous. We even have a better record than Miami. We have 3 RPI top ten series wins including two sweeps.

I don't see how both Kentucky and Alabama will host; the loser of tomorrow's game really should drop from consideration.

If Tennessee makes it to Saturday, baseball should be played at LNS next weekend. If not, I completely understand holding the road record and RPI/SOS against the team in conjunction with regionality.

I don't see how both Kentucky and Alabama will host; the loser of tomorrow's game really should drop from consideration.

If Tennessee makes it to Saturday, baseball should be played at LNS next weekend. If not, I completely understand holding the road record and RPI/SOS against the team in conjunction with regionality.
RPI is 16, I don't see how we aren't hosting.

Reactions: greasemachine
Also, Kentucky as the #9 seed is just hilarious. Truly don’t get all the love for Kentucky. Definitely will not be picking Kentucky to win their regional if they host one. They’ve been playing bad baseball for 6 weeks.

Kentucky still has 20 Q1 wins (tied for most in the SEC) so they're being rewarded for the overall season of work. I don't mind that.. but on the same accord, they're picking and choosing how to apply that as predictions currently have SC being punished for their late-season collapse but not KY. On the flip side, recency bias is rewarding Auburn and Bama but in the same accord they're not applying recency bias to TN.

Kentucky still has 20 Q1 wins (tied for most in the SEC) so they're being rewarded for the overall season of work. I don't mind that.. but on the same accord, they're picking and choosing how to apply that as predictions currently have SC being punished for their late-season collapse but not KY. On the flip side, recency bias is rewarding Auburn and Bama but in the same accord they're not applying recency bias to TN.
These arguments before the fact remind me of the ‘21-‘22 discussions about why UT should be a two seed… bend over cause ya know it’s coming. And it’s not gonna be just one, it’s gonna be a whole committee of proctologists! 🤣
BB 🏀, sorry yo…

Last edited:

VN Store

Back