2023 NCAA Post Season (HOSTING) Discussion Thread - Merged

Will the Vols make it to NCAA Tournament in 2023

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who does it help us more to lose tomorrow per hosting: Bama or KY? (I wish they could both lose!)

Not me. Let's host and then play in Winston closer to home. I'm not sold on Wake. ACC isn't that great.

No, it isn’t, which is why a Miami-Clemson road to Omaha appeals to me. But unlike those two, Wake has pitching. They’re the only team that could argue having more pitching than TN, IMO. I’d prefer to avoid them.

Obviously, I get the appeal of playing at home, but we just beat #13 on the road. We can beat Miami in Coral Gables, and if we do, we then have an easier road in the Supers.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
No, it isn’t, which is why a Miami-Clemson road to Omaha appeals to me. But unlike those two, Wake has pitching. They’re the only team that could argue having more pitching than TN, IMO. I’d prefer to avoid them.

Obviously, I get the appeal of playing at home, but we just beat #13 on the road. We can beat Miami in Coral Gables, and if we do, we then have an easier road in the Supers.
We can match Wake's pitching. And I think we have better bats.

RPI is 16, I don't see how we aren't hosting.

It’s rare, but SEC teams with Top 16 RPIs have not hosted before. It’s especially likely considering this year there are 9 SEC teams with Top 16 RPIs. Just a crazy competitive year in the SEC and there is zero chance 9 teams get to host. The record from a conference is 7. Two teams are getting hung out to dry. We need to win some games this week to prove it shouldn’t be us.

We have better rankings and better conference schedule than some that are projected hosts.
It’s rare, but SEC teams with Top 16 RPIs have not hosted before. It’s especially likely considering this year there are 9 SEC teams with Top 16 RPIs. Just a crazy competitive year in the SEC and there is zero chance 9 teams get to host. The record from a conference is 7. Two teams are getting hung out to dry. We need to win some games this week to prove it shouldn’t be us.

I get this line of thinking, but the USC series was our only road series win all season. We kind of are who we are on the road this year, and the easiest path to Omaha includes playing a series at home. There is no Super Regional if we don’t make it out of a Regional.

To me, any team you’re going to play in the Super is going to be really good. The issue is you have to make it to a Super first. We’re such a dominant home team that no team in this tournament needs to stay home worse than we do. Besides, Wake will have the curse of the #1 overall seed to handle. I guarantee you their fans will be sweating in their britches seeing Tennessee as their Super opponent and be talking about how unfair it is to draw us.

It is so.

You could make the case that Clemson is the hottest team in the country right now. Sure, we could beat them, but I don’t think it’s that much easier than Wake. I think the difference between Clemson and Wake isn’t as significant as you think. There aren’t any truly dominant teams this year in the Top 8. It’s a very competitive field.

I get this line of thinking, but the USC series was our only road series win all season. We kind of are who we are on the road this year, and the easiest path to Omaha includes playing a series at home. There is no Super Regional if we don’t make it out of a Regional.

To me, any team you’re going to play in the Super is going to be really good. The issue is you have to make it to a Super first. We’re such a dominant home team that no team in this tournament needs to stay home worse than we do. Besides, Wake will have the curse of the #1 overall seed to handle. I guarantee you their fans will be sweating in their britches seeing Tennessee as their Super opponent and be talking about how unfair it is to draw us.

Our road record is the result of a) playing most of those games before Tennessee flipped the switch, and b) playing LSU and Arkansas on the road (pre-switch flipping). If said switch had flipped prior to SEC play, I think we sweep Missouri (especially if not played in 20 degree weather) and win at least 1 more against Arkansas/LSU. But it’s better that we’re getting hot now instead.

The South Carolina series being the most recent series matters. But I get what you’re saying. Point is, there are pros and cons to both scenarios.

You could make the case that Clemson is the hottest team in the country right now. Sure, we could beat them, but I don’t think it’s that much easier than Wake. I think the difference between Clemson and Wake isn’t as significant as you think. There aren’t any truly dominant teams this year in the Top 8. It’s a very competitive field.

If Tennessee makes the SECCG, we host. I wonder if that would be enough to get a high enough seed to avoid Wake in the Supers, though. Which national seed would you most like to see Tennessee get in the Supers?

If Tennessee makes the SECCG, we host. I wonder if that would be enough to get a high enough seed to avoid Wake in the Supers, though. Which national seed would you most like to see Tennessee get in the Supers?

Hard to say. I think if we won the SEC tournament we could climb as high as 9 or 10. The problem is 4 SEC teams are going to be national seeds and we want to avoid them. I wouldn’t mind drawing Virginia as an 8/9 matchup. Clemson wouldn’t be the worst if we could climb to like the 11/12 slot with a run to the title game. That would probably be best case scenario, to host and play Clemson, but it would require significant wins in Hoover.

Honestly, the best case scenario (but most unrealistic) is Kentucky wins 2 or 3 games in Hoover but we win the whole damn thing. Kentucky gets the undeserved national seed and we play them in an 8/9. We’d easily win that series.

Seems like the committee could make their jobs easier by looking at teams that are in the top-16 in every ranking and RPI and making them a host.
Then work down from there.
Teams that are ranked in top-16 in all but one rankings and RPI
Teams that are ranked in top-16 in all but two rankings and RPI
So forth and so on.

This system would work for 8 national seeds as well.

You may still need to argue about exact seeds but at least get the top-16 right with little arguments.

Teams that are in the top-8 of all:

1- Wake Forest
2- Florida
3- Arkansas
4- LSU

Teams that are in the top 8 of all but 1:

5- Clemson (NCBWA #9)
6- Vanderbilt (PG #10)
7- Stanford (RPI#11)
8- Coastal Carolina (RPI #13)

Those would be a solid list of national seeds in an order the committee could argue about..

Solid 16
9- Virginia

16 - 1
10- Miami (RPI #18)
11- Tennessee (BA #18)
12- East Carolina (RPI #24)

16-2
13- Campbell (PG #21, RPI# 22)
14- Connecticut (BA #23, RPI #25)

16-3
15- Dallas Baptist (D1 #17, BA #17 RPI #17)
16- Oregon State (BA #17, PG Unr, RPI #30)

That's it. That's 16 teams.

The D1 mental exercise includes several teams that fall woefully short on this list

Alabama is top-16 in only two (PG #`16 and RPI# 12)
Auburn is top-16 in only two (PG #`13 and RPI# 15)
Kentucky is in top-16 in only one (RPI #2)
Texas is in the top-16 in only one ranking (BA #13)
Boston College is in top-16 in only one (RPI #14)
Oklahoma State is in top-16 in only one (BA #12)

Call me old fashion, but the top-16 teams should be the top-16 seeds.
There is never consensus about who those top-16 teams are but D1 is suspecting the committee will use considerations other than the best 16 teams.
Look at some of these epic super regional pairings

Wake Forest / Oregon Stage
Florida / DBU
Arkansas / UConn
LSU/ Campbell
Clemson/East Carolina
Vanderbilt/Tennessee

Stanford/Miami
Coastal Carolina/Virginia

Why do we all need to make this so hard?

Seems like the committee could make their jobs easier by looking at teams that are in the top-16 in every ranking and RPI and making them a host.
So forth and so on.

You may still need to argue about exact seeds but at least get the top-16 right with little arguments.

1- Wake Forest
2- Florida
3- Arkansas
4- LSU

5- Clemson (NCBWA #9)
6- Vanderbilt (PG #10)
7- Stanford (RPI#11)

Those would be a solid list of national seeds in an order the committee could argue about..

Solid 16
9- Virginia

16 - 1
10- Miami (RPI #18)
11- Tennessee (BA #18)

16-2

16-3

The D1 mental exercise includes several teams that fall woefully short on this list

There is never consensus about who those top-16 teams are but D1 is suspecting the committee will use considerations other than the best 16 teams.

Florida / DBU
Arkansas / UConn
LSU/ Campbell
Clemson/East Carolina
Vanderbilt/Tennessee

Stanford/Miami

You are being way too rational here, why would a committee do something so sensible……

So forth and so on.

1- Wake Forest
2- Florida
3- Arkansas
4- LSU

5- Clemson (NCBWA #9)
6- Vanderbilt (PG #10)
7- Stanford (RPI#11)

Solid 16
9- Virginia

16 - 1
10- Miami (RPI #18)
11- Tennessee (BA #18)

16-2

16-3

Florida / DBU
Arkansas / UConn
LSU/ Campbell
Clemson/East Carolina
Vanderbilt/Tennessee

Stanford/Miami

can you imagine the ticket prices to get in over in Nashville for a Super against our guys? I might need a HELOC

So forth and so on.

1- Wake Forest
2- Florida
3- Arkansas
4- LSU

5- Clemson (NCBWA #9)
6- Vanderbilt (PG #10)
7- Stanford (RPI#11)

Solid 16
9- Virginia

16 - 1
10- Miami (RPI #18)
11- Tennessee (BA #18)

16-2

16-3

Florida / DBU
Arkansas / UConn
LSU/ Campbell
Clemson/East Carolina
Vanderbilt/Tennessee

Stanford/Miami

But you’re overlooking the obvious flaw with this methodology… it doesn’t look like this would leave any way to screw the Vols.

VN Store

Back