2023 NCAA Post Season (HOSTING) Discussion Thread - Merged

Will the Vols make it to NCAA Tournament in 2023

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why? They’ve beaten some good teams this year. They’ve also lost to some good teams. Do you think they’re ranked too high?
Who have they beaten that is good? I don’t count midweek game wins by mid majors because most of the time they throw a weekend guy and take a loss on the weekend just to beat a power five who is not going to throw weekend guy.

They lost to VCU, NC State, Creoghton, CofC, Illinois, James, Madison, Texas state, Clemson, Georgia, Southern, Campbell, Old Dominion, southern miss, Wake Forest, Louisiana, Charlotte, appy state, Clemson again. Now somebody tell me how those losses equate to a top 8 team in the nation.

Who have they beaten that is good? I don’t count midweek game wins by mid majors because most of the time they throw a weekend guy and take a loss on the weekend just to beat a power five who is not going to throw weekend guy.

No mid major is ever going to impress you then. Which is fine if that’s the case.

To me, they’ve won 8 in a row. Better record on the road.

They took 2 of 3 from Campbell. 2 of 3 from Southern Miss. Swept North Carolina (2 games). Beat Wake in a high scoring game.

They’ve also lost to NC State, Clemson (2 games), Wake Forest (beat down), and 1 game to a variety of teams across the talent spectrum.

Reactions: ohhbother
I’m not saying they’d come into LNS and sweep the Vols (or any other SEC team), but the resume is more consistent than a lot of other programs.

Do I think they could beat a Texas, Vanderbilt, Oklahoma State, etc? Yes.

Last edited:
I do respect mid major teams when they win a Weekend series. I just really struggle with the midweek wins because I used to watch a TSU throw their Friday starter against Tennessee on a Tuesday or Wednesday and take a loss that weekend but so they beat Tennessee. I saw it also when my middle son was playing mid major.
So do you think they could beat any of the SEC schools playing this weekend on a neutral field two out of three?

Reactions: txbo and Drewbydoo
No mid major is ever going to impress you then. Which is fine if that’s the case.

To me, they’ve won 8 in a row. Better record on the road.

They took 2 of 3 from Campbell. 2 of 3 from Southern Miss. Swept North Carolina (2 games). Beat Wake in a high scoring game.

They’ve also lost to NC State, Clemson (2 games), Wake Forest (beat down), and 1 game to a variety of teams across the talent spectrum.
Those 8 in a row were to South Alabama, Marshall, unc, and barely beat Ga State. That is not impressive

Reactions: nashvillepanther
I do understand that position. This year, it’s my opinion that programs like Campbell, Coastal, (Cal State or Texas State in the past years) have the depth to do it. TSU doesn’t compare in my eyes. It’s my opinion that the proliferation of youth baseball has closed the gap tremendously in these situations.

I think the only teams they couldn’t beat are the top offensive teams. LSU and Arkansas are my only clear cuts who beat them outright 2 out of 3 on a neutral field. LSU’s pitching is iffy but their offense is impressive.

Florida, Tennessee, Vandy, Alabama, South Carolina are more iffy, but still probable to win. Unfortunately, they all give me pause due to offensive blackouts out of nowhere, with no rhyme or reason.

I fully believe they could wipe the floor with Auburn, Georgia, Kentucky (not high on them), and A&M.

Those 8 in a row were to South Alabama, Marshall, unc, and barely beat Ga State. That is not impressive

True, but I’m more impressed with just finding ways to consistently win. At least when the playoffs/May/June come around. The method of winning is less important than the winning itself.

I do agree it would be more impressive if they beat those teams 20-1.

We shall see! I’m wrong all the time! Baseball is a tricky game.

The latest from D1 Baseball has the Vols as the 2 seed in Indiana State’s regional (16 overall). Would be matched up with Wake Forest in a Super.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Don’t care much where we go, we know we have what it takes to advance. If we play well it won’t matter where we are, and same for if we don’t play well. Although it would be nice to be close for fans to travel.

I wouldn’t want to be a Top 16 seed and have to host Tennessee. Nobody wants to see the Vols coming.
Jack Leggett used to say the same thing when he coached at Clemson. “I wouldn’t want to play us right now.”
Then they would get beaten by an inferior team and he would leave pitchers in 1-2 batters too long.
He got fired and (oddly enough) got re-hired as an analyst 2 HCs later.
I’m hoping that doesn’t happen to the Vols 🤞

The latest from D1 Baseball has the Vols as the 2 seed in Indiana State’s regional (16 overall). Would be matched up with Wake Forest in a Super.

The good ole Indiana State sycamores with a whopping 2-9 record against quad 1 teams... meanwhile Vols sitting there with 16 quad 1 wins.

Last edited:

If we can’t host, I take this regional 10 times out of 10. If we can’t beat Indiana State and UC Irvine we don’t deserve to go to Omaha anyway. Indiana State fans? Nonexistent. We’ll outnumber them in their own tiny stadium. It’s the best case scenario for a road regional.

Texas is done. Drops to RPI 26. ECU in an elimination game. While slim, our hosting chances aren’t completely over yet.

This gets me with the B12 and last week's projections of them having three teams hosting. Tennessee has more conference wins than ANY of them and plays in a much harder conference. Vols have four more Q1 wins than WVU and Texas, and six more Q1 wins than OK. State.

SC's coach said it best on this morning's game broadcast: "If this team didn't have SEC beside their name, it would be a no-brainer. We'd be hosting. You can't penalize a league for having too many good teams."

Vols record in any other league would be hosting.

This gets me with the B12 and last week's projections of them having three teams hosting. Tennessee has more conference wins than ANY of them and plays in a much harder conference. Vols have four more Q1 wins than WVU and Texas, and six more Q1 wins than OK. State.

SC's coach said it best on this morning's game broadcast: "If this team didn't have SEC beside their name, it would be a no-brainer. We'd be hosting. You can't penalize a league for having too many good teams."

The hosting candidates outside of the SEC this year are incredibly weak. The only reason Tennessee won’t host when you consider the 20 teams most likely to host is because we’re the 9th team in the SEC pecking order. The committee doesn’t have the balls to put 9 SEC teams as hosts.

We only have ourselves to blame for not hosting. We lost games we shouldn’t have lost early in the season and they are haunting us. But, even with those losses, the rest of the bubble is so incredibly weak that we’re still a worthy hosting candidate we just won’t host because there would be an uproar across college baseball if 9 SEC teams got to host.

Your right but committee will do what they want.All 3 SEC homers Burke, McDonald and Walker stated that they can't see SEC getting 8 or 9 host even though they should NCAA thinks it's bad for business as other conferences would yell foul just like Football

I would be delighted to see 9 SEC teams hosting, and 8 SEC teams in Omaha. What a trip that would be.

The more SEC teams they put in the more they will pair against each other to block a monopoly of the College World Series. For instance, in the latest D1 projection, if the brackets held chalk, (2) Florida vs. (15) SC for CWS birth, (7) Vandy vs (10) Auburn for CWS birth,

The hosting candidates outside of the SEC this year are incredibly weak. The only reason Tennessee won’t host when you consider the 20 teams most likely to host is because we’re the 9th team in the SEC pecking order. The committee doesn’t have the balls to put 9 SEC teams as hosts.

We only have ourselves to blame for not hosting. We lost games we shouldn’t have lost early in the season and they are haunting us. But, even with those losses, the rest of the bubble is so incredibly weak that we’re still a worthy hosting candidate we just won’t host because there would be an uproar across college baseball if 9 SEC teams got to host.
Even though early in SEC the sweep to Missouri looks bad,losing 1/3 would look tremendously better than being swept by 12th best team in conference

Your right but committee will do what they want.All 3 SEC homers Burke, McDonald and Walker stated that they can't see SEC getting 8 or 9 host even though they should NCAA thinks it's bad for business as other conferences would yell foul just like Football

Good to see you. I thought folks from the softball forum had you jailed.

The more SEC teams they put in the more they will pair against each other to block a monopoly of the College World Series. For instance, in the latest D1 projection, if the brackets held chalk, (2) Florida vs. (15) SC for CWS birth, (7) Vandy vs (10) Auburn for CWS birth,
Have to be nice today over there don't want the bra burners going fired up

Have to be nice today over there don't want the bra burners going fired up

giphy.gif

VN Store

Back