2023 NCAA Post Season (HOSTING) Discussion Thread - Merged

Will the Vols make it to NCAA Tournament in 2023

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I looked at warren nolan for the rpi and I really don't understand the math.

I'm not worried about it, because I know Florida will be a national seed. Like I said, it's how this is calculated that is confusing.

Florida has more wins (7 more), more quad 1 wins (3 more), a better quad 1 and quad 2 winning percentage (kentucky 9-2 in quad 2, florida is 8-0), florida beat kentucky 2 games to 1 game in Lexington. How is there a mathematical formula that takes that data and comes out with a result that Kentucky has the higher RPI.

This is just messing with my head because I was a big believer in RPI when it came to college basketball, but if it's calculated the same way......screw the RPI.

Wake would be more upset UT was put there than we’d be for being sent there.

The closest SEC team to their campus, with a loyal fanbase, excellent pitching and swagger out the wazoo. It would be ESPN’s prime region a heartbeat.

LET’S DO IT!!!
try to keep out the orange
Would be ironic but no chance in hell, committee looking for stellar Super Regionals not round before

Wake would be more upset UT was put there than we’d be for being sent there.

The closest SEC team to their campus, with a loyal fanbase, excellent pitching and swagger out the wazoo. It would be ESPN’s prime region a heartbeat.

LET’S DO IT!!!
try to keep out the orange

It's unavoidable, because the SEC teams not hosting have to go play in regionals where a non-SEC school is the host. But, if I am Wake, I don't want teams like Tennessee, Alabama, etc., heading my way.

One of the similarities that people forget with Ole Miss 2022 and Tennessee in 2023, is that both were ranked in the pre-season top 5. Someone out there knew about the talent Ole Miss had before the season. And people do know about the talent Tennessee has on that roster currently.

Do we have any preferences going forward in the SEC tournament per the regionals? Or no real effect at this point?

Do we have any preferences going forward in the SEC tournament per the regionals? Or no real effect at this point?

I don't think A&M hosts due to an SEC Tourney run. Maybe it makes a difference for Alabama.

The other teams that are still alive are hosting no matter what. So, i'm not sure how much needle moving there is at this point. Maybe, things will be effected by the ACC tourney, but I haven't paid attention to it.

I don't think A&M hosts due to an SEC Tourney run. Maybe it makes a difference for Alabama.

The other teams that are still alive are hosting no matter what. So, i'm not sure how much needle moving there is at this point. Maybe, things will be effected by the ACC tourney, but I haven't paid attention to it.
That was my guess. I'll just root for Bama to lose. 😂 I even rooted for y'all to beat them! 😂 I think going with y'all against Vandy too. I can't stand Corbin. That would be me pulling for you gayts twice in two days: I hope there is not an earthquake or meteor of something as a result. 😂

Reactions: knoxvol52
That was my guess. I'll just root for Bama to lose. 😂 I even rooted for y'all to beat them! 😂 I think going with y'all against Vandy too. I can't stand Corbin. That would be pulling for you gayts twice. I hope there is not an earthquake or meteor of something as a result. 😂

I wanted Florida to lose and go home, so obviously they are going to go to the Final and lose in the Final

someone who has more time than me look it up. I was told there are always 2 super regionals that cannot have a sec winner. Do now 7 or 8 sec teams in Omaha. I think they protect wake

I guess the first question is how many SEC schools are hosting. I think you are correct though. I smell Coastal Carolina or Indiana State as the #16 overall.

Of course, and I know I am alone here, I don't necessarily think Wake is a lock at #1. Florida or Arkansas wins the SEC tourney and they may be your #1.

Also SIAP but Texas lost to KSU and WVU and Okie State are in an elimination game right now. It really looks like the Big 12 won’t be hosting.
I’m not saying it’s going to happen, but I imagine it’ll be hard not to have a Big 12 team host. It’s a major conference. Oklahoma State is the only possibility at this point, and their opening loss in that tournament makes things iffy.

I guess the first question is how many SEC schools are hosting. I think you are correct though. I smell Coastal Carolina or Indiana State as the #16 overall.

Of course, and I know I am alone here, I don't necessarily think Wake is a lock at #1. Florida or Arkansas wins the SEC tourney and they may be your #1.
Wake in semifinals of ACC tourney already waiting on winner of Miami N.C. State playing right now. Only team that beats them in ACC tourney is possibly Clemson.

Wake in semifinals of ACC tourney already waiting on winner of Miami N.C. State playing right now. Only team that beats them in ACC tourney is possibly Clemson.

I assume they will win the ACC tourney as well. I'm only thinking about "if".

I really don't care. Once the tourney starts, you have to play well and win or you'll go home no matter your seed.

But, I just think it's an interesting question. If (in this case Florida or Arkansas) is the regular season champion and tournament champion of what everyone would agree is the best league, would that make them the #1 overall seed.

Now, having posed the question, I don't think so because I think people have kind of determined that Wake is the overall #1 no matter what.

Again, doesn't really matter.

Reactions: knoxvol52
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I looked at warren nolan for the rpi and I really don't understand the math.

I'm not worried about it, because I know Florida will be a national seed. Like I said, it's how this is calculated that is confusing.

Florida has more wins (7 more), more quad 1 wins (3 more), a better quad 1 and quad 2 winning percentage (kentucky 9-2 in quad 2, florida is 8-0), florida beat kentucky 2 games to 1 game in Lexington. How is there a mathematical formula that takes that data and comes out with a result that Kentucky has the higher RPI.

This is just messing with my head because I was a big believer in RPI when it came to college basketball, but if it's calculated the same way......screw the RPI.

You have to understand how it’s calculated. It’s just an index. It doesn’t take into consideration “who” you beat. The formula is essentially your opponents’ records (SOS) and whether your wins are on the road, neutral, or at home. Road wins count more.

The Quad records are determined because of the RPI index, not the other way around.

UK gets a boost because it played several high RPI mid majors out of conference and played two of those series on the road. UK’s non conference RPI is 9; UF’s is 154.

Reactions: Orange.
someone who has more time than me look it up. I was told there are always 2 super regionals that cannot have a sec winner. Do now 7 or 8 sec teams in Omaha. I think they protect wake

I apologize, I’m just wading back in, what specifically, do you want us to look up?

Has there ever been seven or all eight of the super regionals could be won by an SEC team. I was told they intentionally build it so that there are two super regionals that could not be won by SEC teams.

Has there ever been seven or all eight of the super regionals could be won by an SEC team. I was told they intentionally build it so that there are two super regionals that could not be won by SEC teams.

“National seeds 1–8 cannot meet each other in the super regional and are guaranteed to host. If the higher national seed in the bracket is eliminated in the regional stage, but the lower national seed advances, the super regional will be played at the national seeded team's field. If the two seeds are not national seeds, the Super Regional will be bid upon by the two competing teams. If the national seed wins the regional but is unable to host, the Super Regional is awarded to the other regional winner in its bracket.”

“National seeds 1–8 cannot meet each other in the super regional and are guaranteed to host. If the higher national seed in the bracket is eliminated in the regional stage, but the lower national seed advances, the super regional will be played at the national seeded team's field. If the two seeds are not national seeds, the Super Regional will be bid upon by the two competing teams. If the national seed wins the regional but is unable to host, the Super Regional is awarded to the other regional winner in its bracket.”

Is this what you are asking?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
No. I know that but has there ever been a bracket where all eight or even seven super regionals could have had an SEC winner? For instance, if we played Indiana State and Indiana State, what’s the 16 seed then we could win that super regional. What do you want? Baseball came out with today had the eight and nine regionals or the number eight super regional would not have a SEC team at all that could win it. So in the projection this week there could be seven of the eight teams in Omaha be SEC teams. I was told they would never be more than six SEC teams in Omaha by the original bracket being set up that way.

Reactions: vol66
No. I know that but has there ever been a bracket where all eight or even seven super regionals could have had an SEC winner? For instance, if we played Indiana State and Indiana State, what’s the 16 seed then we could win that super regional. What do you want? Baseball came out with today had the eight and nine regionals or the number eight super regional would not have a SEC team at all that could win it. So in the projection this week there could be seven of the eight teams in Omaha be SEC teams. I was told they would never be more than six SEC teams in Omaha by the original bracket being set up that way.

So, in 2022 the SEC had 4 teams in Omaha. I won’t say never but that’s a big deal. I guess the question I’d ask about your scenario, is how reasonable is it to think we could get more and the person telling you that is basing it on what?

I could totally see how ESPN wouldn’t want Omaha to be the de facto SEC championship.

He said that every year back, however many years there were always two super regionals that did not have an SEC team in either region feeding into them. If that is true, that greatly affects where we will go because with possibly 10 teams this year getting in there are only so many regionals that could not have an SEC team in them. By this weeks projections on D1 baseball there is only one super regional that could not have an SEC team in the championship.

It's possible to set it up where you have that many teams in Omaha from one conference but the committee usually goes opposite direction guaranting possibly no more than 3 to 4 from same conference. Most often conferences that send 10 or more Regionals end up playing each other in Supers.In my lifetime I have never seen where more than 5 could make it. NCAA doesn't want a SEC invitational ratings for it would be great in South but other parts of United States most likely shun it. But after this long winded speech the answer is Committee will set matchups up in Regionals where at least 2 or 3 are different conferences being represented in CWS

He said that every year back, however many years there were always two super regionals that did not have an SEC team in either region feeding into them. If that is true, that greatly affects where we will go because with possibly 10 teams this year getting in there are only so many regionals that could not have an SEC team in them. By this weeks projections on D1 baseball there is only one super regional that could not have an SEC team in the championship.

Without looking up a thing, getting 10 teams in would be historic. If your person is correct “going back”, it would be unprecedented at least the last 15 years, if for no other reason we beat each other up so bad.

I sincerely apologize if I’m missing, not understanding your question.

Knoxvol52 answered it without answering it. He said the projected bracket that came out today will never happen because there have always been two super regions that no SEC team would be a part of or could be a part of. The one that came out today only has one and that is the region 8&9 super regional.

We put 10 teams in regionals in 2014? And 2018, I think, that’s the record. So those years would be one’s to look at I guess.

VN Store

Back