2024 Transfer Portal Thread

He made huge strides from sophomore to junior year on his shot, his FT stroke was so much better, no reason to think he can’t take at least another small step forward imo.
Yeah the numbers slowly creep in the right directions year over year. If minutes get to 20+ and attempts get to 7+, he could have a nice season for us.

If he makes the Josh Richardson leap, you might as well bet on the final four future right now.
Josh Richardson was first-team all-SEC in his senior season... if Mashack has that kind of leap both offensively and defensively, I'd be surprised.

I'd say Mashack can match the defensive intensity, but I think the comparison offensively is apples and oranges.

JRich needed to be the primary scorer and to handle PG duties on a TN team that was severely limited offensively back in 2015.
We definitely won't be relying on Mashack offensively the way JRich was relied upon.

I noticed on Dubar’s highlight video that the little left to right hitch he does only seems to happen in 3 pt shots. He doesn’t do it on mid range jumpers. Then, once he’s loaded, the rest of his shot looks good. I wonder if Barnes will help him remove that hitch and just start his shot where it ends up after the hitch. Would seem like an easy fix, since you’re keeping the rest of the motion the same (especially since he doesn’t do it on midrange shots), but I’m no shot doctor.
Kind of wondering why this might not have been adjusted before now?

Reactions: 77Vol and VolNExile

Kanon Catchings (former Purdue commit), would be a great add, future power forward type??

Go Vols

Last edited:

Kanon Catchings (former Purdue commit), would be a great add, future power forward type??

Go Vols
Kanon's game looks similar to all of the transfers we've gotten in the portal but at the high school level.

He shoots a majority of shots from 3-point range but also seeks high percentage looks at the rim through offensive rebound putbacks or dunks at the rim from transition/off-the-dribble.

If he does commit to TN, he'll most likely be redshirting... I don't see him being a guy that can get significant minutes this year. At 6-8, 185 lbs, he'd have to put on more weight/muscle to play through all of the physicality.

He kind of reminds me of Julian Phillips. I imagine CRB would utilize him in a similar manner.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I'm not saying inside information doesn't leak out or that you and BTO don't have access in some way. The old saying paraphrased...if more than one person knows something, it's not a secret rings true. But the numbers of these "insiders" is insane. Just not buying that the decision makers are putting so much info into the hands of so many...unless it's disinformation, and who has the time for that? I mean they're busy enough just doing their jobs. Why waste time planting seeds on message boards? Makes no sense to me. And how far into the organization do coaches allow access to the recruiting workings and NIL details? How many people know the complete picture? Is the circle that large? I'd have to think not. And if the information gets out, it certainly won't be hard to narrow down the list of suspects. And we've all seen coaches keep commitments "quiet" so that the kid has his "moment". That tells me they do have some control over what gets out. Or is it just certain things they're able to keep quiet? By nature, I'm a seeing is believing guy. So I take all these types of things with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Some info has to be allowed by college staffs to appease donors. The nature/thought process of someone very wealthy who donated big money to a school is different than what they apply to business to become rich in the first place. They are more likely to disclose that info to others who also love the school and word gets around from the coaching side.

School pride, ego and trash talking to people they associate with that support rivals are motivators just like they are to less affluent fans. And then you also have some wealthy people who inherited it and are spoiled loudmouths that like to boast. It all leads to information for us interested fans.

On the recruit side.... how many 17-22 year old athletes are going to keep quiet about big money offers? Many are trying to get laid, impress friends, etc. it's not surprising that this stuff gets talked about and lots of people end up getting info. There's a reason the cottage industry around recruiting info exists and people will pay good money for "info and access".

And then you have the social media clout chasers who get the same info that we do but get off on making up that they are an insider. I agree with you that the majority of supposed insiders fall in this group (not BTO or SF). People are strange.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
BTO and SF are no better than the rest of us.

BTO was all in on Lanier once he saw everybody was saying we'd get him and when things got dark he got quiet.

He didnt say things were looking better until Hubbs said it was.

VN Store

Back