2024 WNBA Discussion Thread

Shocking to see how far the sparks have fallen over the past few seasons. Losing Brink was a blow but I doubt she would have made them a playoff team. Interesting to compare the fever to sparks.

Since the Olympic break, the fever share the ball well and find the open shooter early. In contrast the sparks either don’t make pass or it comes too slow (it always seems like the first thought is to go one on one and they only pass when that option is shut down. I am excluding Rickea from this criticism because she does pass and is generally the open player who is not getting the ball.

Bad coaching job from Miller….
Total and complete lack of guard play fm day 1. Sims is good but hasn’t been with the team long enough

And here comes the ppl with the kea and angel beef..lemme gone head and get off twitter smh
This is how you act like grown up professionals and don't even sneak a side eye at ea other.

Notice Angel working her wrist. She's now listed as questionable for the Sky's crucial game against the Wings tomorrow w a sore wrist. I'll bet she plays.

Jordy's Storm plays Phoenix, the most DGAF basketball team in history tonight. Hope she gets mins.

This is how you act like grown up professionals and don't even sneak a side eye at ea other.

Notice Angel working her wrist. She's now listed as questionable for the Sky's crucial game against the Wings tomorrow w a sore wrist. I'll bet she plays.

If they a lock for playoffs id sit out if not wear brace and watch her

Sky rookie Angel Reese's season over due to wrist injury​

• i

Alexa Philippou, ESPNSep 7, 2024, 09:26 PM ET

Angel Reese's sensational rookie season has come to an end.
The Chicago Sky star posted on social media that she has suffered a season-ending injury.

Sky rookie Angel Reese's season over due to wrist injury​

• i

Alexa Philippou, ESPNSep 7, 2024, 09:26 PM ET

Angel Reese's sensational rookie season has come to an end.
The Chicago Sky star posted on social media that she has suffered a season-ending injury.
Hate to hear that. Not sure how it happened. She had quite a year; in a way it's good for her to stop where she ended tthough. It was only going to get alot tougher for her and the Sky, esp if they make the playoffs.

Long season for these rookies. Angel exceded all expectations.

What expectations? Nobody expected her to do anything. She played reasonably well. Nothing to write home about, seriously.

The stat pad double doubles hurt her team and started to make her look goofy. She knows it too.

What expectations? Nobody expected her to do anything. She played reasonably well. Nothing to write home about, seriously.

The stat pad double doubles hurt her team and started to make her look goofy. She knows it too.
My expectation was for her rebounding numbers not to translate to the wnba bc whether they were her own misses or not, I expected wnba vets to be able to keep her off the boards, and they couldn't. She didn't get all those rebounds by accident. She exceeded my expectations for sure and I agree with those that feel she had a great rookie year.

My expectation was for her rebounding numbers not to translate to the wnba bc whether they were her own misses or not, I expected wnba vets to be able to keep her off the boards, and they couldn't. She didn't get all those rebounds by accident. She exceeded my expectations for sure and I agree with those that feel she had a great rookie year.

Good for you, I disagree. She put up some numbers but not in any way that was productive or positive for her team.

She cost them about 10 wins chasing that lame double double record. She DOES rebound a high percentage over her own, very badly, missed shots and she shoots the worst percentage for her position in the league.

Stat padding and causing your team to lose does not equal a successful season in my book.

Clark lives rent free in her head, she’ll never be that popular, that good or that humble and it absolutely kills her. It’s painfully obvious lol.

Good for you, I disagree. She put up some numbers but not in any way that was productive or positive for her team.

She cost them about 10 wins chasing that lame double double record. She DOES rebound a high percentage over her own, very badly, missed shots and she shoots the worst percentage for her position in the league.

Stat padding and causing your team to lose does not equal a successful season in my book.

Clark lives rent free in her head, she’ll never be that popular, that good or that humble and it absolutely kills her. It’s painfully obvious lol.
It's a shame that it'll apparently always be a Clark vs. Reese thing when I said nothing about a comparison to Clark, or even about the double doubles for that matter. Lots of the rookies have had good seasons for rookies (our beloved Rickea of course being one of them) and some have exceeded at least my expectations (Reese and Jacy Sheldon come to mind immediately). And I'm good with agreeing to disagree 👍🏻There's a nice lineup of games today, hope everyone gets to enjoy some!

It's a shame that it'll apparently always be a Clark vs. Reese thing when I said nothing about a comparison to Clark, or even about the double doubles for that matter. Lots of the rookies have had good seasons for rookies (our beloved Rickea of course being one of them) and some have exceeded at least my expectations (Reese and Jacy Sheldon come to mind immediately). And I'm good with agreeing to disagree 👍🏻There's a nice lineup of games today, hope everyone gets to enjoy some!

There is no “vs”

That’s the point.

There is only Caitlin Clark. History won’t remember Angel, at all.

Do you remember Candace Parker’s biggest rival in the W as a rookie?

Because I do, and I hate to say it, but her name never comes up on a national level anymore and hasn’t for a decade.

It was our very own Alexis Hornbuckle. They had their own ROTY thing when they joined the league. True talent stands the test of time.

There is no “vs”

That’s the point.

There is only Caitlin Clark. History won’t remember Angel, at all.

Do you remember Candace Parker’s biggest rival in the W as a rookie?

Because I do, and I hate to say it, but her name never comes up on a national level anymore and hasn’t for a decade.

It was our very own Alexis Hornbuckle. They had their own ROTY thing when they joined the league. True talent stands the test of time.
Okay, so because Clark is the best (which I agree, I love watching her play, she's absolutely phenominal and indeed will stand the rest of time), no other rookies may receive compliments. Got it 👍🏻 😄

Okay, so because Clark is the best (which I agree, I love watching her play, she's absolutely phenominal and indeed will stand the rest of time), no other rookies may receive compliments. Got it 👍🏻 😄

What is there to compliment? She cost her team numerous wins chasing an individual accomplishment to keep up with someone she was never in the same league with.

Nothing about Reese’s game is pretty. It’s also not effective. If it were effective she wouldn’t have such a low shooting percentage and be on such a terrible team.

Her, along with Carter and Spoon, also ran their only serviceable guard off.

Notice nobody was trying to leave Indy…

What is there to compliment? She cost her team numerous wins chasing an individual accomplishment to keep up with someone she was never in the same league with.

Nothing about Reese’s game is pretty. It’s also not effective. If it were effective she wouldn’t have such a low shooting percentage and be on such a terrible team.

Her, along with Carter and Spoon, also ran their only serviceable guard off.

Notice nobody was trying to leave Indy…
Mabry has been on two teams prior to being on Chicago and both of them traded her.

Chicago like Dallas just can't keep their most of their star players for some reason. Dupree, Fowles, EDD, and Copper demanded trades and left there. I wouldn't be surprised if Reese ends up leaving there too.

IMO, Clark fans shouldn't be threatened by Reese, Bueckers the one they need to concerned about. I do suspect they will have a new target to harass, and stalk next season.

Mabry has been on two teams prior to being on Chicago and both of them traded her.

Chicago like Dallas just can't keep their most of their star players for some reason. Dupree, Fowles, EDD, and Copper demanded trades and left there. I wouldn't be surprised if Reese ends up leaving there too.

IMO, Clark fans shouldn't be threatened by Reese, Bueckers the one they need to concerned about. I do suspect they will have a new target to harass, and stalk next season.
Chicago has the worst facilities in the league, and cheap ownership. They are building a new practice facility soon (though it'll be shared with the public), hopefully that'll stave off some of the talent drain.

Same. I never thought she'd rebound like a mofo against Tina Charles, Jonquil Jones, etc. And I still don't understand why no one can block her out. All kinds of props for the incredible relentlessness. And for breaking records that seem far beyond her apparent talent level. She still annoys the heck out of me and she's not pretty to watch, but she did what she did.

Who lives rent free in who's head? Angel is already that popular, and no she'll never be humble but she seems fine with it. It's you guys that struggle.

The Sky stat padded Angel at times. If she was going to work that hard, they were going to reward it. But that doesn't invalidate the accomplishment to me and I don't think it ever cost them games. The fatal move by the Sky was trading Marbry and not getting a proven scorer in return. Somethings still weird in that organization. IMO without Angel they would lost much more, would have a Sparks-like record.

The Fever has also padded a stat or two, there's a video of one of CC's assists in the last game where Boston dribbles about 4 steps before shooting and it's credited as an assist. Then there's the designated rebound wrangling.

Both of them put themselves in position to get padded into records through incredible play. Numbers don't lie. The whole rookie class has lived up to every bit of expectations. CC. Angel, Rickea, Cam before injury and Kamilla after injury are all major impact players for their teams. Alliyah Edwards has been solid and even Jacy Shelton has been a regular contributer. Good for all of them. Don't think next year's class will be anywhere near as deep.

Mabrey was on teams with significantly better guards. Chicago had nobody as good as her. Carter is so talented but she’s too much of a head case. Mabrey was their only veteran, quality guard.

And don’t even say Lindsey Allen lmao. Just no.

Mabrey asked for this trade, i.e. they ran her off.

She ended up in the perfect situation filled a need the sun were desperate for and they have mostly been better for it.

I'm not a Reese fan, but she is 23rd in the W in win-shares, the 3rd highest ranking of any player on a team with a losing record, and one of only four players in the top 25 on a team with a losing record.

She's 15th in the W in defensive win-shares, the highest ranking of any player on a team with a losing record, and one of only two players in the top 25 on a team with a losing record.

I think it's a bit extreme to say she cost them 10 wins considering she's doing the most on not just her team, but just about any team with a losing record in helping her team get the few wins they've gotten.

You're right about her FG%, though. Only Brink comes close, and Brink attempts 4x as many 3's per game, so it's a bit more to be expected. Reese is 5th worst in the league at 2pt. FG% among players who attempt at least 5 FGs/game (and the only post player in the bottom 10).

I'm not a Reese fan, but she is 23rd in the W in win-shares, the 3rd highest ranking of any player on a team with a losing record, and one of only four players in the top 25 on a team with a losing record.

She's 15th in the W in defensive win-shares, the highest ranking of any player on a team with a losing record, and one of only two players in the top 25 on a team with a losing record.

I think it's a bit extreme to say she cost them 10 wins considering she's doing the most on not just her team, but just about any team with a losing record in helping her team get the few wins they've gotten.

You're right about her FG%, though. Only Brink comes close, and Brink attempts 4x as many 3's per game, so it's a bit more to be expected. Reese is 5th worst in the league at 2pt. FG% among players who attempt at least 5 FGs/game (and the only post player in the bottom 10).

Win shares are literally a made up stat. These advanced analytics tell you nothing.

Watch the games. Use your eyes. She doesn’t pass any kind of eye test. She barely did in college.

She will have a short W career. 3 years tops. Bet you $50.

Any stat that requires a 75 page explanation of how’s it’s calculated is neither useful, or accurate. Win shares are garbage. They undercount for defense and over estimate offense (partly by not fully accounting for shooting %).

Man Atlanta just totally coughed the bone in a game they desperately needed to make the playoffs. Rhyne Howard had a great day, 3rd straight 30 pt game, but late in the game and in OT she's just firing ill advised shots and the Dream has no other plan. Then unbelievably, down two and w plenty of time on the clock they intentionally foul a 90% ft shooter and its over. Wright is a really weak coach and they don't deserve the playoffs, though I'd love it for Howard and TIna Charles.

Mystic also lost today, so if Chicago beats the Mystics, and their off to a good start wo Angel, can take a big step. Izzy Harrison started in Angel's place but again it's Chennedy Carter doing the thing.

VN Store

Back