2024 WNBA Discussion Thread

"careful growth" is what has held the W back
Marketing and growth has to happen

Women make up 52% of the population,,there is no reason not to have more teams and more opportunities to find another Kaitlyn,,,Heck yeah,,,
grow!
grow!
grow!
Expansion teams will always struggle for an extended period… though some will find a way to jump into the fray quickly. One key will be placing the new teams in strong markets.

Reactions: krichunaka
Expansion teams will always struggle for an extended period… though some will find a way to jump into the fray quickly. One key will be placing the new teams in strong markets.
the other key is getting butts in seats...even a non-paying butt can be beneficial as it makes the visual look like "the place to be"...that non-payer can be replaced with a payer later on

Portland is getting a franchise again starting in '26. So Toronto and Golden State in '25, and Portland in '26. 15 teams with hope of a 16th by '28. I really hope Nashville can snag that 16th spot. Although I bet it will be somewhere in Florida.
Nashville needs some rich guy or company to step up and give a commitment. Money talks, but Nashville would make so much sense with the history of Tennessee and Vanderbilt basketball. Would all you guys support a WNBA team? Besides money, the area has to show that the support is there, so if nothing is being done or researched then nothing is going to happen.

the other key is getting butts in seats...even a non-paying butt can be beneficial as it makes the visual look like "the place to be"...that non-payer can be replaced with a payer later on

Nashville needs some rich guy or company to step up and give a commitment. Money talks, but Nashville would make so much sense with the history of Tennessee and Vanderbilt basketball. Would all you guys support a WNBA team? Besides money, the area has to show that the support is there, so if nothing is being done or researched then nothing is going to happen.
We've already discussed being season ticket holders for a WNBA and NWSL team in Nashville. Women's sports are our thing, moreso soccer than basketball though to be honest. I have to imagine it would be marketed to tourists as well, particularly the WNBA since I assume they'd play at Bridgestone right downtown. I know it's football, but the Titans have been sustained (or overrun, depending on your view) by visiting fans treating it as a vacation. Sports tourism is a major priority for local Nashville government.

Yeah I'm afraid it's just going to mean more crappy teams. Man these expansion drafts are about to be crazy. The league STILL hasn't announced the rules of the upcoming expansion draft for the San Fran team, not even how many players can be cored. Teams are begging for that info.
The last time an expansion draft held in which was 2008, teams could protect six players and the expansion team could draft only one unprotected player from each team.

I’m on a mini vacay and out of pocket and haven’t. Watched the game. Peaked at the box score and couldn’t believe it. Looks like things went really well. Worth one more late night watch.

Maybe the strangest 8-32 season of all time. Half of those wins are against the #1, #2, and #4 (x2) seeded teams. Took the #3 team to the wire last week. Completely bizarre.

Edit to add I now see that Dorka, Collier and McBride didn’t play for the Lynx. Thought that might happen, lots of play off resting going on. I don’t care. The Sparks have lost to undermanned teams before. Any win is a good one.

Last edited:
I live in Nashville and just don't see a WNBA team playing at Bridgestone. Too many concerts and other various events during the W season. Unless Nashville decides to build a new 5 to 8K arena I just don't think Nashville can get that 16th bid. It could be done by the 28 season, but with no team in Florida I think it's likely Nashville misses out. Nashville is the IT town outside of Vegas so there is hope at least.

Matchups in best of 3 first round of playoffs

#1Liberty vs #8 Dream
#4 Aces vs #5 Storm
#2 Lynx vs #7 Mercury
#3 Sun vs #6 Fever

Which one is most intriguing matchup?
Liberty and Lynx will likely sweep, with Aces as well. I think the Fever vs Sun is easily the most intriguing matchup, especially a game 3 at the Fever. I'd guess a game 3 would break 2 million viewers for the first time this season.

Matchups in best of 3 first round of playoffs

#1Liberty vs #8 Dream
#4 Aces vs #5 Storm
#2 Lynx vs #7 Mercury
#3 Sun vs #6 Fever

Which one is most intriguing matchup?
Liberty and Lynx will likely sweep, with Aces as well. I think the Fever vs Sun is easily the most intriguing matchup, especially a game 3 at the Fever. I'd guess a game 3 would break 2 million viewers for the first time this season.
I agree. Liberty went 3-1 vs. Atlanta, though that loss was yesterday with most of the starters resting in the second half. Aces also went 3-1 vs. the Storm, with the only loss being the first game in the series all the way back on June 7 (before Chelsea Gray returned from injury). With Loyd's streakiness you never know, but she's been so off most of the season and Seattle probably doesn't otherwise have enough offense. Minnesota also went 3-1 vs. the Mercury, with a 1-point road loss somewhere in the middle. The Lynx are probably the hottest team in the WNBA and don't seem like they'd lose one at home in this series.

Connecticut went 3-1 vs. Indiana but the 3 wins came in May and early June. Indiana won the latest matchup 84-80 at home on August 28.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Maybe her best game, definitely her best defensive effort ever. Never seen this motor on D for the whole game. Such impressive resilience fm the fiasco last game. And possibly getting even more athletic? Fantastic way for both Rickea and the Sparks to end the season. And IDGAF who played or didn’t play. This was about the Sparks

I feel awful for the Mystics. What a turnaround and what an effort, and without Austin.

I’ll be pulling for the Storm and Jordy, but they’re probably too inconsistent. My pick is the Lynx. I love me some Phee.

The Sky seem to be in disarray, drama surrounding Izzy and Dana Evans

I feel awful for the Mystics. What a turnaround and what an effort, and without Austin.

I’ll be pulling for the Storm and Jordy, but they’re probably too inconsistent. My pick is the Lynx. I love me some Phee.

The Sky seem to be in disarray, drama surrounding Izzy and Dana Evans
I am going with an upset,,,storm over the aces

VN Store

Back