2024 WNBA Discussion Thread

Rae just assisted Rickea twice in a row, Rickea w 15, Sparks down just 1 late in 3rd

End of third, RIckea done went crazy. Didn't even get a shot up til late in the 3rd qtr than got several up. Now has career high 20 pts and shooting up to 7-12. Rae has been much better since she came back in. Sparks down by just 2 going into 4th.

Last edited:
Final 84-78 Mercury, Sparks couldn't get the ball to Hamby or Rickea for crucial final shots. Good game for them, they're also down several starters.

Rickea played 37 mins after playing 41 last game. Don't think we can accuse Miller of not playing her enough any more. Still going long stretches without getting the ball but sure made the most when she did, 22 pts, 6 rebs, 3 assists, no t.o.s. She's obviously an impact player who Miller trusts now. Slow but steady growth, really proud of how she bounced back after being really low just a week or so ago in NY.

Azuri Stevens looked fantastic for first game after long layoff, did a great job on BG. When she teams w Brink next year it's going to be something. Cloud torched LA like she always does, LA guards, OTOH couldn't throw it in the ocean, McDonald went 1-10 after several really good games. Rae ended up 0-5 but had some good hustle plays.

Final 84-78 Mercury, Sparks couldn't get the ball to Hamby or Rickea for crucial final shots. Good game for them, they're also down several starters.

Rickea played 37 mins after playing 41 last game. Don't think we can accuse Miller of not playing her enough any more. Still going long stretches without getting the ball but sure made the most when she did, 22 pts, 6 rebs, 3 assists, no t.o.s. She's obviously an impact player who Miller trusts now. Slow but steady growth, really proud of how she bounced back after being really low just a week or so ago in NY.

Azuri Stevens looked fantastic for first game after long layoff, did a great job on BG. When she teams w Brink next year it's going to be something. Cloud torched LA like she always does, LA guards, OTOH couldn't throw it in the ocean, McDonald went 1-10 after several really good games. Rae ended up 0-5 but had some good hustle plays.
Kea and Rae are making good arguments for starting roles,,,although I do like Rae as a 6th man bc of her unbridled energy

Last edited:
From her very first game as a freshman at Tennessee, Rae Burrell's energy always blew me away. Having that desire to hustle every play isn't something most players are capable of, but Rae has it. She comes in you know she's about to make something happen. People notice that, which is probably what got her on the roster. I'm super proud of her.

Kea a nd Rae are making good arguments for starting roles,,,although I do like Rae as a 6th man bc of her unbridled energy
Rickea's spot is secure for now. Rae should start over Nurse, or at least get the most mins. With Stevens back and looking good, Hamby moves back to 4 and probably returns Talbot to the bench but also w big mins. Sure hope Talbot is ok.

From her very first game as a freshman at Tennessee, Rae Burrell's energy always blew me away. Having that desire to hustle every play isn't something most players are capable of, but Rae has it. She comes in you know she's about to make something happen. People notice that, which is probably what got her on the roster. I'm super proud of her.
Miller has said that several times. If Rae's offense was just a bit more consistent she'd be a major player.

Rickea's spot is secure for now. Rae should start over Nurse, or at least get the most mins. With Stevens back and looking good, Hamby moves back to 4 and probably returns Talbot to the bench but also w big mins. Sure hope Talbot is ok.
Nurse is the most overrated player I can think of,,,I would cut her next season

Storm about to wrap it up against the Sky.

Carter 7-21, Arike-like numbers. Must have been much better Storm D against her in the second half.

Angel got her record double double. But you know, the media won't promote it at all, right?

Jordy with the fours, 4 pts, 4 rebs, 4 assists, and a steal.
Speaking indirectly of Candace, I just saw a podcast where she discussed her career ending injury. It was the foot fracture that she had surgically repaired at the beginning of last season and it just did not heal properly. She learned close to training camp that she needed another surgery and would miss this seasons as well. And she could not see trying to comeback at 39 after missing consecutive seasons.

If anyone saw the ESPN documentary on her, she played the back half of her career on a degenerating knee (no cartilage) and chronic back issues. It was a full-time rehab job just to get on the court. It amazing what she was able to accomplish despite those limitations.

Even in college, where she had two knee surgeries before stepping on the court as a LV, I don't think we were seeing what she could have been sans her ACL tear.

Last edited:
Izzy Harrison got 20 mins for the Sky vs the Storm yesterday and it's causing a little controversy. Kamilla only played 20 mins and barely played the second half, Izzy had 11 pts on 4-10 shooting and 4 rebs. The Sky, who depend on reb margin for wins, only outrebounded the Storm by 1 and lost. When they beat them Friday night they pounded them on the boards. When asked what the rebounding difference was yesterday, Storm coach said flatly it was that Kamilla didn't play much.

So Carolina fans, for whom the LSU hatred is always just under the surface, think TSpoon sat Kamilla to guarantee Angel's double double record and they're grumbling.

Diamond continues to struggle, played 13 mins, didn't score and had 1 reb and 2 assists. She appears to continue to lose ground in the rotation.

I wonder if DP is upset that B. James is getting all the publicity while Knecht gets none?

Well when the actual season starts and Knecht plays and contributes while Bronny does not, that will change.

I honestly feel bad for Bronny. He’s been nepoed into a spot by his dad and he knows 100% he doesn’t belong there.

Two different players thought about swatting his first G league shot but didn’t want to embarrass him. You could see their bodies tense and then go “eh nahhh.”

Poor kid is just not an NBA level athlete.

Reactions: glv98
Definitely. She must know where the bodies are buried.

They're also better off wo Lexie Brown, tho I'm sorry for her condition.
I know a little bit from my son's soccer career that agent connections make a huge a difference at the margins. An agent that represents a good talent pool can pull some strings to get their player a roster spot. Picking a roster is not a strictly merit based process but one that is also built on maintaining connections and relationships.

Definitely. She must know where the bodies are buried.

They're also better off wo Lexie Brown, tho I'm sorry for her condition.

When Lexie is hot she’s a really nice player, she has a beautiful transition 3. Just not a good enough passer and can’t create off the bounce in the W.

Hit her for a wide open transition rhythm 3 and she’s money though.

Just saw most of the last half of the game, and Rickea came through for them at the end of the game, but after she tied the score at 78, the Mercury scored quickly, and the Sparks had the ball with 35 seconds left, and this is where the game was lost. Instead of getting the ball to Hamby, Rickea, or even Azura, Aari McDonald, who at the time was 1 of 9 shooting for the night, attempted a quick 3, and missed. Mercury scored again, and Hamby missed a 3, but it wouldn’t have mattered, the game was already lost. Surely the play wasn’t drawn up for your cold shooting player to attempt a 3, and not even try to get the ball to one of your top scorers.

Agree about Azura Stevens, how welcome she is, she had a fabulous first night back with 10 points on 4 of 10, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, and 1 block. She also had a very calm, and confidence inspiring demeanor. I think she really will help the Sparks.

Just saw most of the last half of the game, and Rickea came through for them at the end of the game, but after she tied the score at 78, the Mercury scored quickly, and the Sparks had the ball with 35 seconds left, and this is where the game was lost. Instead of getting the ball to Hamby, Rickea, or even Azura, Aari McDonald, who at the time was 1 of 9 shooting for the night, attempted a quick 3, and missed. Mercury scored again, and Hamby missed a 3, but it wouldn’t have mattered, the game was already lost. Surely the play wasn’t drawn up for your cold shooting player to attempt a 3, and not even try to get the ball to one of your top scorers.

Agree about Azura Stevens, how welcome she is, she had a fabulous first night back with 10 points on 4 of 10, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, and 1 block. She also had a very calm, and confidence inspiring demeanor. I think she really will help the Sparks.
agree,,,if this was a planned option,,,bad plan!

Low key drama time.

Part of me wonders if Grace Berger can’t get over the Indiana/Iowa thing. She is being totally iced out by the Fever unless she has an undisclosed injury. Just not seeing the floor at all and looks pretty salty on the bench sometimes.

VN Store

Back