2024 WNBA Discussion Thread

Surely the play wasn’t drawn up for your cold shooting player to attempt a 3, and not even try to get the ball to one of your top scorers.
According to Miller after the game it wasn't the play he called and he was really, really pissed about it. Went on and on about lack of execution, esp after timeouts when he just told them what to do. McDonald, who's been playing above her talent level for a while, just crashed and burned this game.

Curt was so grumpy he was unwilling to give Rickea flowers for her game. When asked about it he said she had a good game but could have had a "monster game" and didn't. He talked alot about missed easy shots, and truthfully RJ did miss several of them in the first half. He was also mad about a sequence w about 5 mins left where Rickea picked up a loose ball, hit Rae on a run out, but Rae missed the open lay up then Rickea missed the putback. Actually that put back got blocked fm behind but he was still pissed.

Things have changed for the better bc Curt being pissed at her no longer means he takes her out. Rickea said for the thousandth time she likes that Miller pushes her so hard and it does seem to be working. She and Rae really need to continue their upward progression these last three game before the break. They play the Lynx at 10 tonight. Collier is out and RIckea matches up really well w Carlton and McBride, had a double double against them before. It's a definite opportunity.

That little Leprechaun of a coach's days are numbered

If you coach by emotion your team will play based on their emotions,,,especially a player like RJ

49 shot attempts with less than 5 minutes to go. That is really low. Curt Miller must be irate, ha. He just isn't getting the job done in LA.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
49 shot attempts with less than 5 minutes to go. That is really low. Curt Miller must be irate, ha. He just isn't getting the job done in LA.
Yeah that was awful start to finish. Much as the Sparks lose, they're almost always competitive. Not tonight. It was back to bad old days of ball hog desperation offense which left RJ largely back in the corner doing not much. 6 pts and 1 reb on 3-8 shooting, not near enough touches. Which Lexie Brown, who was doing commentary, said she's sure will be an issue to be discussed. Only played 23 mins, Curt threw the towel in early.

Rae plays w so much energy but it's often just not very productive. She did have 6 pts on 6-6 ft shooting, but 0-4 fm the field. Also had 3 rebs. Appeared to hurt her leg a bit at the end of the game, hope she's ok.

Forget this one, two more before the Olympic break. Next Saturday against the equally horrible Dallas Wings. Someone has to win one!

Yeah that was awful start to finish. Much as the Sparks lose, they're almost always competitive. Not tonight. It was back to bad old days of ball hog desperation offense which left RJ largely back in the corner doing not much. 6 pts and 1 reb on 3-8 shooting, not near enough touches. Which Lexie Brown, who was doing commentary, said she's sure will be an issue to be discussed. Only played 23 mins, Curt threw the towel in early.

Rae plays w so much energy but it's often just not very productive. She did have 6 pts on 6-6 ft shooting, but 0-4 fm the field. Also had 3 rebs. Appeared to hurt her leg a bit at the end of the game, hope she's ok.

Forget this one, two more before the Olympic break. Next Saturday against the equally horrible Dallas Wings. Someone has to win one!

Miller is commanding the tank at this point. Bueckers or bust for the Sparks I think.

What a putrid game by the Sparks. If Curt was grumpy after the last game, I’d hate to think what he is after this game. Hamby has a good stat line and actually hit all her 3 free throws in this lost game, but had 5 turnovers. Yueru is 6’7 and can hit free throws, but can’t hit a layup. Rickea looked bad on both ends of the floor, looked like her beginning games where she stands in the corner, where she rarely gets thrown the ball, and does not move like the others do to get open. She does not aggressively drive to the basket, but passes, so often gets no free throws, she was 0 for 1. Clarendon had a good game, in 26 minutes, 8 points on 4 of 5 shooting, 2 rebounds, 4 assists, and 1 steal.

Azura Stevens had another nice game. In 28 minutes, on 4 of 9 shooting, 9 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal and 2 blocks.

It’s back to the drawing board for the Sparks, they can do better than this, maybe they can even get Rickea scoring again.

Last edited:
Reactions: krichunaka
It’s back to the drawing board for the Sparks, they can do better than this, maybe they can even get Rickea scoring again
I thought he already learned that RIckea needs touches and sets run for her early. Lexie Brown said this in her color commentary (where btw she was excellant and may have found her true calling.)The longer she stays uninvolved, the worse it goes for her.I think she only got 2 or 3 shots up the first half. Part of it is the Lynx D is so good the Sparks couldn't move the ball and resorted to desperate hero ball, unlike last game when they assisted on like 25 of their 27 baskets. Miller said he got outcoached (DUH).

I wish Rae could find some offensive consistency. Except for the first Aces' win where she hit 3 3 pt shots, she can't buy a bucket. Miller has said this; he loves her energy but other than fts, she's an offensive liability. Also last night, Rae got roasted on D several times, they all did. She plays hard, but not always effectively. Exactly like her last year at TN after her injury.

Today is camp day, many games during the day today with arenas full of camp kids. Good game btw the league's top teams, Liberty leads Sun by 4 w 6 mins left. Fever unexpectedly losing to the Mystics by 10 just before halftime, Clark struggling, 6 pts on 2-6 shooting but does have 7 assists. Sky has pulled ahead of Atlanta by 4 just before halftime and Angel is having a big one, 12 pts and 8 rebs already.

It makes me want to throw up in my mouth to say it, but Angel is by far the best rookie so far. But there's still half a season to go.

Last edited:
I thought he already learned that RIckea needs touches and sets run for her early. Lexie Brown said this in her color commentary (where btw she was excellant and may have found her true calling.)The longer she stays uninvolved, the worse it goes for her.I think she only got 2 or 3 shots up the first half. Part of it is the Lynx D is so good the Sparks couldn't move the ball and resorted to desperate hero ball, unlike last game when they assisted on like 25 of their 27 baskets. Miller said he got outcoached (DUH).

I wish Rae could find some offensive consistency. Except for the first Aces' win where she hit 3 3 pt shots, she can't buy a bucket. Miller has said this; he loves her energy but other than fts, she's an offensive liability. Also last night, Rae got roasted on D several times, they all did. She plays hard, but not always effectively. Exactly like her last year at TN after her injury.

Today is camp day, many games during the day today with arenas full of camp kids. Good game btw the league's top teams, Liberty leads Sun by 4 w 6 mins left. Fever unexpectedly losing to the Mystics by 10 just before halftime, Clark struggling, 6 pts on 2-6 shooting but does have 7 assists. Sky has pulled ahead of Atlanta by 4 just before halftime and Angel is having a big one, 12 pts and 8 rebs already.

It makes me want to throw up in my mouth to say it, but Angel is by far the best rookie so far. But there's still half a season to go.
The announcers were saying a grenade is when the possession clock is winding down and the last player has to take a desperation shot. (Hot potato sounds better to me.) Anyway, they said several times, there’s another grenade, when describing the Sparks on offense.

Aces at Storm at 3. That should be a good game.

The announcers were saying a grenade is when the possession clock is winding down and the last player has to take a desperation shot. (Hot potato sounds better to me.) Anyway, they said several times, there’s another grenade, when describing the Sparks on offense.
Big part of the prob is Ari McDonald has hit a plateau after playing above her head for a stretch. She's been pretty bad the last two games. The Sparks still need a big time pg.

Good ending to the Sky/Dream game, Sky by 1 and Dream w the ball w just over a min to play. Sky just missed a crucial late ft, go figure. It was Evans this time, not Mabry.

Fever made a little comeback but Mystics lead by 15 w about 4 mins left. Dang credit Tiebold, the Mystics are winning withoutl their two best players and after an awful start. Steady improvement.

Chennedy Carter man. Haley Jones is zero match for her. Carter stole the ball from the slow footed Jones, then hit a jumper right in Jones' face to push the lead to 3, then assisted beautifully to Angel for the clincher. Incredible impact player. Sky up 5 w 20 secs to go.

Meanwhile CC has heated up, has 5 3s, Mystics lead down to 8 w 2:30 to go. Huge possesssion for the Mystics.

Epic CC pushoff being reviewed and she gets the call!!! Awful call, Clark blatantly pushed, now she has fts to cut it to 3. Clark has had an incredible 2nd half, has 29 pts 13 assts. Has had double digit assists like 5 out of last 6 games, which is unbelievable. That's the part of her game I admire. Lots of people shoot 3s.

Mystics held on. Big road win for them.

Last edited:
Still a whole half season to go, but right now it looks like the W's dream come true - CC's team and Angel's team are going to claw it out for a playoff spot down the stretch. Though both could hop over the Dream if they don't pick it up. Any word on Howard and the Olympics?

Reactions: NashVol11
When is Sides going to STOP PUTTING WHEELER IN THE GAME?

Played 11 minutes and was -17 in a 5 point loss. Just quit it. We know you traded for her and over paid her. Just because you made a mistake doesn’t mean you need to play her.

Epic CC pushoff being reviewed and she gets the call!!! Awful call, Clark blatantly pushed, now she has fts to cut it to 3. Clark has had an incredible 2nd half, has 29 pts 13 assts. Has had double digit assists like 5 out of last 6 games, which is unbelievable. That's the part of her game I admire. Lots of people shoot 3s.

Not sure what the W was thinking when scheduling a slate of mid-day, mid-week games. I know school is out for Summer but still not convenient times for most working adults.

Great stat-line from CC. 5 from 9 from 3 pt range is getting it done. She also got to the FT line 11 times which is well above her season average, along with the 13 assists and 5 steals. Since all that matters is CC's stat line, it is a glorious day , where the angels sing and rainbows blossom across the globe, raining down Hershey's chocolate kisses upon a joyous populace whose life problems have all magically been solved.

As a trivial matter, though, this outcome has to be classified as a "bad" loss for the Fever. Losing to a cellar dweller when sitting on the play-off bubble sort of cancels out the gains from the Fever's upset win over the Liberty.

[Sorry to report that you will also have to spend ten years in purgatory for suggesting that Clark committed an infraction but the call anyway. Higher deified powers are watching you. Next time, these higher powers will not be so lenient.]

Angel Reese also kept her record setting double-double streak alive with a bucket in the last 7 seconds of the game, proving that the devil walks among us. Every time Angel has a double-double an actual angel dies and an innocent child's ice cream cone turns to sawdust.

Last edited:
Not sure what the W was thinking when scheduling a slate of mid-day, mid-week games. I know school is out for Summer but still not convenient times for most working adults.

Great stat-line from CC. 5 from 9 from 3 pt range is getting it done. She also got to the FT line 11 times which is well above her season average, along with the 13 assists and 5 steals. Since all that matters is CC's stat line, it is a glorious day , where the angels sing and rainbows blossom across the globe, raining down Hershey's chocolate kisses upon a joyous populace whose life problems have all magically been solved.

As a trivial matter, though, this outcome has to be classified as a "bad" loss for the Fever. Losing to a cellar dweller when sitting on the play-off bubble sort of cancels out the gains from the Fever's upset win over the Liberty.

[Sorry to report that you will also have to spend ten years in purgatory for suggesting that Clark committed an infraction but the call anyway. Higher deified powers are watching you. Next time, these higher powers will not be so lenient.]

Angel Reese also kept her record setting double-double streak alive with a bucket in the last 7 seconds of the game, proving that the devil walks among us. Every time Angel has a double-double an actual angel dies and an innocent child's ice cream cone turns to sawdust.
These games were called "camp" games. The teams sold discounted tickets for all the kids at the summer camps. My grandson got to see the Sun battle the Liberty with his summer camp. I don't know about the other games, but you could see bunches of kids with similar tee shirts.

These games were called "camp" games. The teams sold discounted tickets for all the kids at the summer camps. My grandson got to see the Sun battle the Liberty with his summer camp. I don't know about the other games, but you could see bunches of kids with similar tee shirts.
Just found out about this tradition. It is cool but it may not be the best marketing strategy for the current state of the WNBA. Put one of the games, Sky or Fever in prime time.

CC had 29 points, 13 assists, 5 rebounds, 5 blocks, and 5 steals. She is the first WNBA player in history to have this stat line: double digits in points and assists and 5 or more in rebounds, blocks, and steals. The rookie MVP is far from over, especially with these types of stats. It is stereotyping when people say she is not athletic. To have these stats as a rookie against some of the most athletic females in the world would be impossible if she wasn't athletic.

CC had 29 points, 13 assists, 5 rebounds, 5 blocks, and 5 steals. She is the first WNBA player in history to have this stat line: double digits in points and assists and 5 or more in rebounds, blocks, and steals. The rookie MVP is far from over, especially with these types of stats. It is stereotyping when people say she is not athletic. To have these stats as a rookie against some of the most athletic females in the world would be impossible if she wasn't athletic.
From the Fever's twitter feed. Here is the full historic stat line:

Caitlin Clark is the first WNBA player ever to have 25+ points, 10+ assists, 5+ rebounds, 5+ steals, and 5+ three-pointers in a game.

Not a bad game and she did it with very efficient shooting.

One thing about Juju is she knows basketball, I really hope these former AAU teammates find a way to play together in the WNBA. Oh and the award is still rigged but I like posting Juju.

Reactions: knoxvol52

VN Store

Back