2024 WNBA Discussion Thread

Chicago had a huge win at Las Vegas. Carter with 34. Plum had one of her worst games going 0 from 8 from 3, 4 of 17 from the floor and just 1 rebound in 30 minutes. Reese another double double.

I don’t really understand the lack of help defense on Carter. No team has been able to keep her in front but they aren’t picking her up after the blow by.

She isn’t a willing passer so if someone shows it’s gonna put her in a bind. Suspect she starts to see some doubles forcing her to give up the ball too. She is having a great season.

Aces have had a lot of slow starts and it’s killing them. Plum is what everyone think CC is defensively lol.

Last edited:
What a night for Rae

I loved Rae's energy and ability to make things happen on the court from the first time I saw her play. But to be honest, I also worried she might never grow out of her, well, slightly clumsy (at times) body movements. She'd just go hard with an idea and then end up flailing at the end, and sometimes something good would result, and other times an awkward looking turnover.

So I'm obviously over the moon to know that, for the most part -- everyone has bad plays now and then -- Rae Burrell has matured both physically and mentally and has laid to rest my worries that her WNBA career might be shorter than she wanted.

Yes, as others have said she needs to be a more consistent scorer (and I agree more minutes may help her achieve that), but overall? She's playing some really good ball this season and I'm happy for her and grateful the Sparks org gave her a real shot. It didn't look good for her at first, but she has turned it around. 👍🏻👍🏻

I don’t really understand the lack of help defense on Carter. No team has been able to keep her in front but they aren’t picking her up after the blow by.

Chennedy has always had terrific body control and is as good at drawing fouls as anyone in the game, so my guess is that everyone is playing scared to get into foul trouble. We all know how über aggressive Carter is, so I imagine there's a whole lot of assuming a whistle is going to blow every time someone helps, and that that whistle ain't gonna be on Carter. She is too freaking wily, and opponent aren't wanting any of that.

Just my opinion.

Chennedy has always had terrific body control and is as good at drawing fouls as anyone in the game, so my guess is that everyone is playing scared to get into foul trouble. We all know how über aggressive Carter is, so I imagine there's a whole lot of assuming a whistle is going to blow every time someone helps, and that that whistle ain't gonna be on Carter. She is too freaking wily, and opponent aren't wanting any of that.

Just my opinion.

In a league this physical I can’t discern why nobody will draw a charge

In a league this physical I can’t discern why nobody will draw a charge

I hear you. These days, though, it seems like coaches are too often pulling players from the game for a bit after they're called for fouls, and maybe they're overly conscious of that. Or maybe they are simply afraid of getting hurt or, worse, ending up with a season-ending injury. NOT that I recall that ever happening, but these ARE typically pretty solid women coming barreling through the lane at them. lol

Pansies, maybe? 😂

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I hear you. These days, though, it seems like coaches are too often pulling players from the game for a bit after they're called for fouls, and maybe they're overly conscious of that. Or maybe they are simply afraid of getting hurt or, worse, ending up with a season-ending injury. NOT that I recall that ever happening, but these ARE typically pretty solid women coming barreling through the lane at them. lol

Pansies, maybe? 😂

If they were worried about injury they wouldn’t be abusing each other on the perimeter the way they do.

Way more likely to cause an injury bodying a ball handler to the basket than setting up for a charge.

Carter not being an all star is so stupid. If there was an award for most mentally improved she'd win it by a long shot. Credit TSpoon and maybe just Carter growing up as well. Carter has literally been kicked off every single team she's ever played on, high school, college, and two pro teams, before this year.

Really good win for the Sky and Angel's effectiveness continues to impress. Can't argue with a +26. The Aces, other than Wilson, are just old, slow, out of shape, and dgaf. Both Plum and Grey are woefully out of shape and I know both have had issues this year. But overall that team just has zero fire or passion. I'm surprised and disappointed in Hammon and I feel sorry for the otherworldly Wilson. Maybe Aja just needs to cry more.

I loved Rae's energy and ability to make things happen on the court from the first time I saw her play. But to be honest, I also worried she might never grow out of her, well, slightly clumsy (at times) body movements. She'd just go hard with an idea and then end up flailing at the end, and sometimes something good would result, and other times an awkward looking turnover.
I believe it was madtowne who called Rae a baby deer on roller skates at times. And she still has moments of that, but the energy she brings overcomes it. The first two questions Curt got in the presser yesterday were cleaned up versions of "how can you possibly still start Nurse over Rae". He pointed out correctly that when Rae plays extended mins, she often struggles with cramps and he'd rather save her for later in the game. That's true, she had to come out late yesterday due to cramps and I've seen that happen several times before. Someone feed Rae a banana.

Rickea was also very complimentary of Rae, said Rae should have been brought to the presser instead of her, said "I don't know why I'm here." Second half should be another great opportunity for Rae in a lineup of Rae, Rickea, Hamby, Stevens and the great PG that's going to drop from the heavens for the Sparks.

I believe it was madtowne who called Rae a baby deer on roller skates at times. And she still has moments of that, but the energy she brings overcomes it. The first two questions Curt got in the presser yesterday were cleaned up versions of "how can you possibly still start Nurse over Rae". He pointed out correctly that when Rae plays extended mins, she often struggles with cramps and he'd rather save her for later in the game. That's true, she had to come out late yesterday due to cramps and I've seen that happen several times before. Someone feed Rae a banana.

Rickea was also very complimentary of Rae, said Rae should have been brought to the presser instead of her, said "I don't know why I'm here." Second half should be another great opportunity for Rae in a lineup of Rae, Rickea, Hamby, Stevens and the great PG that's going to drop from the heavens for the Sparks.
It seems that Rae missing her first round pick rookie season really set her back in terms of her league standing. I feel that the Sparks are still treating her like a player they really don't to want invest in so they are trying everybody before her and she has to be lights out to get extended playing time.

Maybe she is inconsistent in practice or something else going on behind the scenes. I hope she has a strong 2nd half and then can get picked up by a team who will view her as a featured player.

I think rumors of the Aces death have been greatly exaggerated. Plum may have had a dud game yesterday but she has had a few big games this season. Right now, the Aces look like a team that does not look that motivated about the regular season and is biding their time for the playoffs.

That is not a sustainable model-- we will coast through regular season and the flip the switch--but it can be done for one season. They are going for a three-peat and I think they will look different in the playoffs. Right now, they are just cruising on the Aja train.

It seems that Rae missing her first round pick rookie season really set her back in terms of her league standing. I feel that the Sparks are still treating her like a player they really don't to want invest in so they are trying everybody before her and she has to be lights out to get extended playing time.

Maybe she is inconsistent in practice or something else going on behind the scenes. I hope she has a strong 2nd half and then can get picked up by a team who will view her as a featured player.
According to what I was reading going into the season, even w a guaranteed contract this year Rae was def a player they saw as expendable. Injuries and the Sparks general disarray have given her a chance though and now I'm pretty sure she's on much firmer ground. I think eventually, when Cam is back and they get some decent guards, Rae will settle most likely as a key 6th player, backing up Rickea and whatever good 2 guard they get. Should start the rest of this year, or get starter mins over Nurse.
That is not a sustainable model-- we will coast through regular season and the flip the switch--but it can be done for one season. They are going for a three-peat and I think they will look different in the playoffs. Right now, they are just cruising on the Aja train.
IMO the Liberty is just a better team this year. Plum's been off all year, was a big reason the lowly Sparks beat the Aces twice. We'll see what happens the second half but looks like the playoffs will be much more wide open this yr.

Interesting. Sky just traded Mabry to the Sun for Rachel Banham and Moriah Jefferson and a 2025 first round draft pick. Rumor had been they'd trade Dana Evans, surprised it's Mabry. Gives the Sun something they badly need, 3 pt shooting, but for sure don't ask Mabry to hit late game free throws.

Sure wish the Sparks could trade for a decent pg, but they really don't have any decent trade bait.

Interesting. Sky just traded Mabry to the Sun for Rachel Banham and Moriah Jefferson and a 2025 first round draft pick. Rumor had been they'd trade Dana Evans, surprised it's Mabry. Gives the Sun something they badly need, 3 pt shooting, but for sure don't ask Mabry to hit late game free throws.

Sure wish the Sparks could trade for a decent pg, but they really don't have any decent trade bait.

Mabrey was not happy there, it was pretty obvious she wanted out. She was the best guard on that team no matter what Chennedy Carter thinks lol.

Marina will be a good at for Connecticut.

I’ve been saying they needed to trade her for a 1st round pick, she’s not worth a max contract, and James Wade screwed the Sky over by giving that to her. But trading her to the Sun doesn’t help the Sky since it won’t be a lottery pick, but they do get out of that bad contract. Now they have picks they can probably use to swap for in 2027 and get Juju.

Reactions: glv98

If they keep losing, they may have a chance to get Bueckers in the draft.

Fast faced and physical game watching the Fever vs Dallas. Sims looks really good since joining Dallas. The commentating is grating and am about to have to watch on mute.

Reactions: VolBall09
Clark just broke the all time assists in a game in WNBA history with 19 (so far).
Clark's assist totals on a legitimately bad team are really impressive.

She is adding some dimensions to her game in season which is again not easy to do.

Ironically, the thing she is most known for, her 3pt shooting, is the sketchy part of her pro game so far.

If she could push up to 40% from 3's, where she is now closer to 30%, that would have a huge impact on the Fever's fortunes (as well her teammates converting a higher % of bunnies)

Mabrey was not happy there, it was pretty obvious she wanted out. She was the best guard on that team no matter what Chennedy Carter thinks lol.

Marina will be a good at for Connecticut.
This should be interesting. There aren't too players that UConn fans really hate. However, Marina Mabrey is near the top of the list, if not at the top. This is a prime example of letting go of past opinions of a player, when all of a sudden, they are on your team. As a Notre Dame grad, her whole family has been a thorn on the side of UConn, not to mention that she is one of the dirtiest players in the league. It will be interesting when she first takes the floor at Mohegan Sun arena. I am willing to overlook the past since the Suns weakness is 3 point shooting. As I said, it should be interesting.

VN Store

Back