2024 WNBA Discussion Thread

McNutt is unlistenable to.
The amount I wished she would just SHUT TF UP! Easily the most irritating voice of the W, and in a league w Antonelli and Burke that's saying alot.

Clark's assist totals on a legitimately bad team are really impressive.

She is adding some dimensions to her game in season which is again not easy to do.

Ironically, the thing she is most known for, her 3pt shooting, is the sketchy part of her pro game so far.

If she could push up to 40% from 3's, where she is now closer to 30%, that would have a huge impact on the Fever's fortunes (as well her teammates converting a higher % of bunnies)
19 assists is an incredible accomplishment and I agree her passing and court vision is by far the best part of her game. I disagree the Fever is a bad team in W terms. They definitely have weak spots, need to lose a couple of players and get a couple of better ones, but they've been steadily improving. There are only 5 teams in the W who are above .500!

Read something interesting that said CC has seen a sports psychologist to try to control her in-game temper and outward displays. She was on one last night, gesturing at teammates when they missed easy shots (which of course is irritating but still not a good look) doing all the usual whining, arguing w Sides over taking that last time out, and launching her water bottle when she made that last t.o, causing a towel girl to hop away, rolling her eyes. Lots of players are emotional, they like to call it passion, but apparently CC feels like it hurts her game. So controlling emotions is an area of improvement as well.
This should be interesting. There aren't too players that UConn fans really hate. However, Marina Mabrey is near the top of the list, if not at the top. This is a prime example of letting go of past opinions of a player, when all of a sudden, they are on your team. As a Notre Dame grad, her whole family has been a thorn on the side of UConn, not to mention that she is one of the dirtiest players in the league. It will be interesting when she first takes the floor at Mohegan Sun arena. I am willing to overlook the past since the Suns weakness is 3 point shooting. As I said, it should be interesting.
So much. Apparently Mabrey and Carrington have had major beef over the years which they enjoy playing out on soc media. Both are big personalities w big mouths. Then add the even bigger personalities and huge sense of entitlement of Bonner and Thomas and Stephanie White has her hands full. Building this team chemistry might blow up the lab. But apparently Mabrey asked to be traded so maybe she'll be ok with deferring. We'll see.

Trained by Little Miss Muffin, along with the also very dirty Ogunbowale, at least in college days. The Latter may have cleaned up her act in the W. Does Mabrey still flop if anyone breathes in her vicinity?
Yes, she's one of the league's epic floppers, whiners, shovers, trippers, mouthers, a Sophie wannabe.

Arike will deliver an occassional hard blow and believes she's never committed a foul, but she mostly saves her energy to heave up 30 shots a game no matter the situation. Her ball hogging has really over shadowed her game, almost made her a joke around the league.

Yes, she's one of the league's epic floppers, whiners, shovers, trippers, mouthers, a Sophie wannabe.

Arike will deliver an occassional hard blow and believes she's never committed a foul, but she mostly saves her energy to heave up 30 shots a game no matter the situation. Her ball hogging has really over shadowed her game, almost made her a joke around the league.

To me Arike is the LeBron of women’s basketball. The GOAT in her own mind but a bit of a joke when it’s all said and done.

Arike is a very good player but is more like a guy in her "If I touch the ball I'm going to shoot the ball" self-centered approach to the game and she doesn't give a rat's patootie what anyone else does or, really, even if they win or lose as long as SHE has scored a lot of points. She's not one of those who'll be happy for a teammate to go off and have a career game if that player happens to score more than she does. But if SHE has a great scoring game or, worse, happens to score a clutch basket, my God .... the self-congratulations and self-adoration are almost comical.

And I say all this without one shred of years-long bitter-rival bias. I have only paid attention to her at all the past couple of years, but only a fairly small amount of observation makes it apparent she's not a team player but a "me" player.

Reactions: 1reVOLver and glv98
The amount I wished she would just SHUT TF UP! Easily the most irritating voice of the W, and in a league w Antonelli and Burke that's saying alot.

19 assists is an incredible accomplishment and I agree her passing and court vision is by far the best part of her game. I disagree the Fever is a bad team in W terms. They definitely have weak spots, need to lose a couple of players and get a couple of better ones, but they've been steadily improving. There are only 5 teams in the W who are above .500!

Read something interesting that said CC has seen a sports psychologist to try to control her in-game temper and outward displays. She was on one last night, gesturing at teammates when they missed easy shots (which of course is irritating but still not a good look) doing all the usual whining, arguing w Sides over taking that last time out, and launching her water bottle when she made that last t.o, causing a towel girl to hop away, rolling her eyes. Lots of players are emotional, they like to call it passion, but apparently CC feels like it hurts her game. So controlling emotions is an area of improvement as well.

So much. Apparently Mabrey and Carrington have had major beef over the years which they enjoy playing out on soc media. Both are big personalities w big mouths. Then add the even bigger personalities and huge sense of entitlement of Bonner and Thomas and Stephanie White has her hands full. Building this team chemistry might blow up the lab. But apparently Mabrey asked to be traded so maybe she'll be ok with deferring. We'll see.

Monica McNutt tries way too hard to be a BIG personality. It seems like she has not realized that the game announcer role is different from "the yelling" role she plays on ESPN first take.

Draya has moved up to the half-time squad but she was really good in the announcing role.

If we throw the first 10 games where the Fever had that punishing schedule, their record is not too bad. I think this is a case where an overall bad team is being elevated by Clark and the resurgent Boston. Mitchell is capable of some big scoring games but is very inconsistent. Samuelson has been poor all season.
Smith is much, much lesser version of an Angel Reese type player. I don't think she starts on many teams. I am not sure how many rosters Lexie Hall makes either.

But when factor in Clark, Boston and Mitchell on a good night, maybe they are a middle of the pack team.

But losing to the team with the worst record in the league when your two main stars have really big games (with career highs) is not a great sign.
However, they do have 3 or 4 games of separation over the bottom four teams so they are on track to make the play-offs.

Arike is a very good player but is more like a guy in her "If I touch the ball I'm going to shoot the ball" self-centered approach to the game and she doesn't give a rat's patootie what anyone else does or, really, even if they win or lose as long as SHE has scored a lot of points. She's not one of those who'll be happy for a teammate to go off and have a career game if that player happens to score more than she does. But if SHE has a great scoring game or, worse, happens to score a clutch basket, my God .... the self-congratulations and self-adoration are almost comical.

And I say all this without one shred of years-long bitter-rival bias. I have only paid attention to her at all the past couple of years, but only a fairly small amount of observation makes it apparent she's not a team player but a "me" player.
To Arike's credit, she's averaging a career-high 5.2 assists per game this season, 9th in the league (which is a good thing considering she's at a career-worst 35.7% FG% on a career-high 20.1 FGA per game). I didn't realize that she also currently leads the league in steals per game (2.7).

LeBron is not a top 2 player all time. He’s just played the longest. Great player but 22 years does a lot for your stats. Ask Diana.
Especially since Jordan played at UNC before entering the NBA. His time was escalated by not having to play in college…Kareem, Magic, Bird etc. all could have had extra stats too.

LeBron is not a top 2 player all time. He’s just played the longest. Great player but 22 years does a lot for your stats. Ask Diana.
He was a top 2 player all time 8 years ago. The list of players with 8 MVPs + Finals MVPs is MJ (11), LeBron (8), Kareem (8). That's it

Reactions: travis929
Monica McNutt tries way too hard to be a BIG personality. It seems like she has not realized that the game announcer role is different from "the yelling" role she plays on ESPN first take.
Exactly. The big personality bigfoots the game.
To Arike's credit, she's averaging a career-high 5.2 assists per game this season, 9th in the league (which is a good thing considering she's at a career-worst 35.7% FG% on a career-high 20.1 FGA per game). I didn't realize that she also currently leads the league in steals per game (2.7).
Very surprised, would never know it by watching her play.

Reactions: madtownvol
Different people like different styles. For instance, Stephen A. Smith is wildly popular with lots of people, but I've never been a fan of the ones, like him, who are intentionally over-the-top with their acerbic, know-it-all style. If they have to raise their voices or get mean-spirited in their "truth-telling," I mute them. Yuck.

Different people like different styles. For instance, Stephen A. Smith is wildly popular with lots of people, but I've never been a fan of the ones, like him, who are intentionally over-the-top with their acerbic, know-it-all style. If they have to raise their voices or get mean-spirited in their "truth-telling," I mute them. Yuck.
I can't stand him

For me announcers are like refs - I don't want to notice them at all. The best ones are the ones who do their jobs so well you forget they're there. I hate when they insist on being a noticable part of the game. Leave the screamers for sports tv talk shows.

Stephen A. Smith earns $12 million a year working for Disney. I assume you sophisticated individuals don't like Stephen but he draws rating for ESPN.

Draya has moved up to the half-time squad but she was really good in the announcing role.

If we throw the first 10 games where the Fever had that punishing schedule, their record is not too bad. I think this is a case where an overall bad team is being elevated by Clark and the resurgent Boston. Mitchell is capable of some big scoring games but is very inconsistent. Samuelson has been poor all season.
Smith is much, much lesser version of an Angel Reese type player. I don't think she starts on many teams. I am not sure how many rosters Lexie Hall makes either.

But when factor in Clark, Boston and Mitchell on a good night, maybe they are a middle of the pack team.

But losing to the team with the worst record in the league when your two main stars have really big games (with career highs) is not a great sign.
However, they do have 3 or 4 games of separation over the bottom four teams so they are on track to make the play-offs.
I believe Katie Lou realizes she is probably the fourth option in the Fever offense. She is like the third guard and has consistently handed out multiple assists per game. Wouldn't surprise me if she isn't protected in the next draft when the expansion team is filled.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Stephen A. Smith earns $12 million a year working for Disney. I assume you sophisticated individuals don't like Stephen but he draws rating for ESPN.

His monetary worth is irrelevant to whether or not his style is appealing to me. He and Vitale and Johnson appeal to a lot of people. Like I said recently, a lot of people also made Jerry Springer a wealthy man by watching his show that appealed to people's enjoyment of watching people verbally abuse and attack each other. That type of interaction has zero appeal to me. But sure, people make a lot of money being rude know-it-alls.

His monetary worth is irrelevant to whether or not his style is appealing to me. He and Vitale and Johnson appeal to a lot of people. Like I said recently, a lot of people also made Jerry Springer a wealthy man by watching his show that appealed to people's enjoyment of watching people verbally abuse and attack each other. That type of interaction has zero appeal to me. But sure, people make a lot of money being rude know-it-alls.
Jerry Springer was a ex-Politician. Nobody liked his sorry behind.

Last edited:
Jerry Springer was a ex-Politician. Nobody liked his sorry behind.
Wish that were true. Don't know about him personally but people loved that show, it was on for years. Many people's guilty pleasure, like lookey lou at an accident. My own guilty pleasure in that mode was Honey Boo Boo. The worse the train wreck the better.

Interestingly, Springer was pretty well liked and pretty effective when he was mayor of Cincinnati.

VN Store

Back