2024 WNBA Discussion Thread

Good God that was just awful. Rae ended w 15 pts and Rickea w 13. But Rickea didn't have a single rebound, not one. And only one assist. Both Rickea and Rae had lots of t.o.s. Neither of them, along w no one else on the Sparks, was able to guard much of anyone. Flush this one and move on.

They've lost badly to the Liberty every time they've played, far more than any other team. And that was before they were down to playing Clarendon and poor, hapless, way out of her league Zia Cooke at PG.

Zia missed an uncontested layup and just isnt good professionally. I know there are quite a few solid players that can't seem to make a W, wonder how some, like Cooke, have roster spots.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Zia missed an uncontested layup and just isnt good professionally. I know there are quite a few solid players that can't seem to make a W, wonder how some, like Cooke, have roster spots.
They all missed lots of uncontested lay ups, espec Li who was 0-6 fm right under the basket. Zia's pretty much out of control all the time she's in, which usually isn't much. Sparks picked up Dangerfield but she's not much better. Odyssey Sims is out there now, the Wings had to let her go when their injured players came back. She'd be a great pick up.

Angel w 13 rebounds, 7 O boards. She's effing incredible. I never thought she'd be able to dominate the boards in the W like this.

Draya made a good point that without Carter and Mabry, the Sky have no real offensive threat that can stretch the floor and defenses are going to collapse in the paint. The stretch run might be really tough for them and Reese who lives in the paint.

Also, the conventional pundit wisdom was that players who came back from the Olympics would have trouble gearing back up but it seems to be just the opposite-- those who went 2 weeks without a game are the ones who looked a half step slow. For that reason, I am not going to put too much weight on this first game back for the Sparks.

Last edited:
Really entertaining game btw the Storm and Dream, with the Dream getting the big upset win. Jewel Loyd heaved a crazy, desperation, falling out of bounds 3 to tie it, then Tina Charles hit the game winner at the buzzer.

Not Jordy's best game, just 2 pts but did have 3 rebs and a couple of assists. Hard to get shots w Nneka, Loyd, and Diggins putting up 50 shots btw them. Mercedes Russell was a complete non-factor. Just like Diamond and Izzy, I'm afraid Mercedes is hanging on in the W by a thread.

Storm plays the Fever at 3:30 Sunday on nat TV. Clark had a huge game last night, will be fun to see if Jordy can put the cuffs on her.

Things just get worse for the poor Sparks. Looks like Chennedy Carter made the trip to LA and is listed as "questionable" for the Sparks/Sky game today. No doubt she'll play and have a "prove herself" game and score 30 since the Sparks have no one who could begin to guard her. And now Clarendon is out for today's game, not that she helps much but at least is a body. So the Sparks literally are down to only Zia Cooke and Dangerfield, who's been awful, at PG.

I liked what Miller said, and RIckea really needs to take it to heart. He reminded them every game is audition for their job, both with him and every GM in the league. Lack of effort, even in the worst circumstances, won't get it. Play like you're job is on the line bc it is. After today they go on a road trip to the hardest places in the league to play, first Vegas than to Boston where the Sun has sold out the Garden for their first game there. Gut check time.

Draya made a good point that without Carter and Mabry, the Sky have no real offensive threat that can stretch the floor and defenses are going to collapse in the paint. The stretch run might be really tough for them and Reese who lives in the paint.
Especially in light of the Mabry trade, the Sky should have taken Rickea instead of Kamilla at #3. They need another scorer big time. But even with the awfulness of the Sparks, I'm glad that didn't happen.

Things just get worse for the poor Sparks. Looks like Chennedy Carter made the trip to LA and is listed as "questionable" for the Sparks/Sky game today. No doubt she'll play and have a "prove herself" game and score 30 since the Sparks have no one who could begin to guard her. And now Clarendon is out for today's game, not that she helps much but at least is a body. So the Sparks literally are down to only Zia Cooke and Dangerfield, who's been awful, at PG.

I liked what Miller said, and RIckea really needs to take it to heart. He reminded them every game is audition for their job, both with him and every GM in the league. Lack of effort, even in the worst circumstances, won't get it. Play like you're job is on the line bc it is. After today they go on a road trip to the hardest places in the league to play, first Vegas than to Boston where the Sun has sold out the Garden for their first game there. Gut check time.
I mean idk what kurt expected with this roster but if they play every team like they play the aces they’d be fine

Effort. Which none of them, even the usually reliable Hamby, offered against the Liberty.

Rae always offers energy and effort, but it usually ends up going off in a wild direction.
Unless stewie or Sabrina have a bad game I don’t see them beating libs at all this season but call me bias I don’t like the roster Kurt put together but they’ll have better luck with the game today the match up is better

Unless stewie or Sabrina have a bad game I don’t see them beating libs at all this season but call me bias I don’t like the roster Kurt put together but they’ll have better luck with the game today the match up is better
The Libs are a matchup nightmare for the Sparks for sure.

As far as roster, he thought he had a solid pg in Julie A fm Belguim. Also thought he'd have Azuri Stevens full time and of course Cam. Miller said in 60 something games with the Sparks he's never had an injury free roster going into a game. And now it's just ridiculous. Hard to see them winning any more games outside an occasional upset. The Mystic and Wings, who they can compete with before, both got all their injured stars back and are much better. Today, esp if Carter doesn't play, is the Sparks' best chance.

The Libs are a matchup nightmare for the Sparks for sure.

As far as roster, he thought he had a solid pg in Julie A fm Belguim. Also thought he'd have Azuri Stevens full time and of course Cam. Miller said in 60 something games with the Sparks he's never had an injury free roster going into a game. And now it's just ridiculous. Hard to see them winning any more games outside an occasional upset. The Mystic and Wings, who they can compete with before, both got all their injured stars back and are much better. Today, esp if Carter doesn't play, is the Sparks' best chance.
I don’t trust nurse or clarendon and sometimes Lexi she had a good au season tho and Zia might be on the way out but they can beat Chicago,mystics,Indy,and aces but everyone else I scratch my head(didn’t say wings because idk what they look like with their players back)

Reactions: knoxvol52
I don’t trust nurse or clarendon and sometimes Lexi she had a good au season tho and Zia might be on the way out but they can beat Chicago,mystics,Indy,and aces but everyone else I scratch my head(didn’t say wings because idk what they look like with their players back)
Mystics are a whole different team w Austin and Sykes back. I'd be surprised if the Sparks could still beat them. Ditto the Fever, who are way better than their earlier selves. That's the thing w the Sparks, except for painstaking improvement for Rickea, they haven't gotten better and injuries make them even worse. When Zia Cooke is your point guard, you're in serious trouble. They should pick up Odysesy Sims.

Mystics are a whole different team w Austin and Sykes back. I'd be surprised if the Sparks could still beat them. Ditto the Fever, who are way better than their earlier selves. That's the thing w the Sparks, except for painstaking improvement for Rickea, they haven't gotten better and injuries make them even worse. When Zia Cooke is your point guard, you're in serious trouble. They should pick up Odysesy Sims.
Hmm I figured mystics wanted to tank a lil to get Paige😅..but sparks definitely better hurry and get O😂 and yea this could be good for kea but she’s gotta be more aggressive and handle the ball better I expect her to make a leap for next season but is she going overseas🤔 and don’t get me wrong Zia be having good moments but ehhh

Hmm I figured mystics wanted to tank a lil to get Paige😅..but sparks definitely better hurry and get O😂 and yea this could be good for kea but she’s gotta be more aggressive and handle the ball better I expect her to make a leap for next season but is she going overseas🤔 and don’t get me wrong Zia be having good moments but ehhh
Sykes and Austin don't strike me as the tanking types. Thing about the Sparks, they're so bad they can tank while actually trying to win games.

Not a surprise, RIckea gotta seriously work on her motor, and Curt has said that. Her agressiveness and intensity is def still up and down. Of course none of them played hard, except reliable Rae, and heaven forbid RJ ever play the hardest of anyone on the floor. She's SO offensive minded, when she doesn't get touches early she tends to check out, esp in a non contest butt kicking like that. She only got up 4 shots in the first half. . She was playing much harder before the break.I bet she comes out gun blazing today, we'll see. Pretty sure she'll want to play well against Angel.

Strong rumor that Rickea will be invited to the Unrivaled League so she wouldn't have to go overseas.

Zia ain't it.

Last edited:
Yea those 2 don’t but was going off their fan base..I think with kea Kurt got into her head early with the pulling her in and out for lil things,sticking her in the corner,playing out of her position even some back and forth on the bench and doesn’t run plays for her but when he do she scores most of the time but which you think would be better for her overseas or unrivaled?

And I can agree I feel for her but she gotta improve because Hannah raven and everybody else is coming

VN Store

Back