2024 WNBA Discussion Thread

She’s back😎

The only Olympic basketball game I watched this year, men's or women's, was the women's gold medal game, and Gabby Williams was, by far, the most dynamic player in that game. Her performance was a prime example of "leaving it all out on the floor." I felt pained for her at the very end.

All that to say Seattle ought to improve a lot with her in the lineup. I do wonder how it will affect Jordan Horston. Williams should get as many minutes as Jewel Loyd.

The only Olympic basketball game I watched this year, men's or women's, was the women's gold medal game, and Gabby Williams was, by far, the most dynamic player in that game. Her performance was a prime example of "leaving it all out on the floor." I felt pained for her at the very end.

All that to say Seattle ought to improve a lot with her in the lineup. I do wonder how it will affect Jordan Horston. Williams should get as many minutes as Jewel Loyd.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
She’s back😎

I’m curious to see if she plays in Chicago or not. Seems to me like she’d rather be traded based on her conditions to return.

I’m not sure she’s what the Sky need either. She is a talent, no doubt, but she will be playing small forward which would mean she will take minutes form Reese.

Williams has an outside shot and a pretty decent handle. I think the Sky would be smart to play her at the 3 and split time between Cardoso and Reese at the 5.

Sky shot themselves in the foot with the perimeter changes they made anyway.

I do wonder how it will affect Jordan Horston.
I think eventually it moves Jordy back out of the startitng lineup.

Adding Gabby is going to be interesting. The Storm already had a few chemistry probs at times w high powered offensive players Loyd, Nneck and Diggins. Sometimes not enough shots to go around.

Rickea HAS to be a better 3 pt shooter. Other than that, she's had a really good half. Rae had a brief rough ride and got yanked to Curt's doghouse.

The Sparks are less terrible than their record indicates but just don't quite have enough to compete the whole game.

Rickea HAS to be a better 3 pt shooter. Other than that, she's had a really good half. Rae had a brief rough ride and got yanked to Curt's doghouse.

The Sparks are less terrible than their record indicates but just don't quite have enough to compete the whole game.
Yep,,,they're a PG and a coach away from a real team

Reactions: ReignSupreme

I think gabby will be good for Jordy she’ll push Jordy but yea definitely might mess with her minutes

I’m curious to see if she plays in Chicago or not. Seems to me like she’d rather be traded based on her conditions to return.

I’m not sure she’s what the Sky need either. She is a talent, no doubt, but she will be playing small forward which would mean she will take minutes form Reese.

Williams has an outside shot and a pretty decent handle. I think the Sky would be smart to play her at the 3 and split time between Cardoso and Reese at the 5.

Sky shot themselves in the foot with the perimeter changes they made anyway.
Na I think Chicago left on bad terms with her I think she was always going to go back to Seattle now next season idk…Sky need a consistent shooter they got inside covered just wish it was diamond that was the shooter😭

Storm bounced back w a win over the hapless Mystics yesterday, Jordan had another stat stuffer, just 3 pts but 6rebs, 3 assists a steal and a block. Gabby Williams was with the team but didn't play. The Storm don't play again for a few days and that's when Jordy's pt might start to take a dent. Mercedes only played 7 mins and didn't score.

Yep,,,they're a PG and a coach away from a real team
I've changed my mind about Curt, partially bc I know he's not going anywhere. You kinda can't argue w the result, Rickea has come a long, long way in a really difficult situation. Maybe he knew what he was doing after all and it's not like we haven't seen tough love work on her before. Most of all she seems to honestly love him and respond to his coaching.

I got frustrated bc he never let her play through anything and would pull her just when she was getting hot offensively. Her game is/was highly dependent on rhythm, scores in spurts, once she hits a couple she's on a roll. Hard for her to get involved again after she's sat for a while. But maybe she just needs to get over that in the big girl league and be a bucket anytime. Or play good enough D not to get pulled, which she did yesterday and played 34 mins.

He ran lots of plays for her yesterday, curls off screens, etc. Also has her bringing the ball down some which, yikes, still loosey goosey. But it gets the ball in her hands. Problem now is getting the ball in her hands at the end of games when they really need a bucket. Couldn't do it again yesterday, instead got 3 Odyessy Simms turnovers that cost the game.

Rickea had 14 pts, 6 reb an assist and a block. Rae had a bit of a rough outing, gave up a couple of and ones and got pulled. Didn't score but did have 4 reb and 2 steals. Everyone loves Rae, I think she's solidifying her spot for the future. The Sparks next play at Washington then Dallas, probably their last real chance to get a win.

Last edited:
Welp,sparks crumbled again in the last 5 min they need a vet that can finish games..kea played well but they shut her out the 2nd half,hope rae is ok,Zia cooked in the minutes she got,and this game was winnable but very physical

Happy to see AB at the game🥹

Welp,sparks crumbled again in the last 5 min they need a vet that can finish games..kea played well but they shut her out the 2nd half,hope rae is ok,Zia cooked in the minutes she got,and this game was winnable but very physical

Happy to see AB at the game🥹
Yeah that was painful. Sparks so called offense completely collapsed in the second half. First half Rickea ruled w 16 pts on 6-8 shooting, by far her best half of the year. Bad news is she only got 3 shots up the whole second half, had just 1 pt. I guess they picked up the D on her but the Sparks also started chucking bricks, esp Steph Talbot.Once again, not sure why they wouldn't run isos for RIckea when they're struggling to score. Maybe tanking. Neither Rickea nor Rae could guard Sykes much, she's super quick, but both gave good effort. Rae had 7 pts.

Yeah that was painful. Sparks so called offense completely collapsed in the second half. First half Rickea ruled w 16 pts on 6-8 shooting, by far her best half of the year. Bad news is she only got 3 shots up the whole second half, had just 1 pt. I guess they picked up the D on her but the Sparks also started chucking bricks, esp Steph Talbot.Once again, not sure why they wouldn't run isos for RIckea when they're struggling to score. Maybe tanking. Neither Rickea nor Rae could guard Sykes much, she's super quick, but both gave good effort. Rae had 7 pts.
You right kea was switching on Sykes and engstler on D but she did ok..they really dont and that’s curt don’t boost her up in interviews n not run set plays for her but hey be real funny if they don’t end up with Paige

You right kea was switching on Sykes and engstler on D but she did ok..they really dont and that’s curt don’t boost her up in interviews n not run set plays for her but hey be real funny if they don’t end up with Paige
Curt boosts her like crazy in interviews lately, see the one I linked a few posts above. He also runs plays for her, just not consistently and esp at the end of games. He says he calls plays in those situations but they usually don't get run and the guards resort to panic chucking. But he doesn't bother to call time out and force them to run the plays that would get the ball in her hands in late game situations. Last night was just a brutal example of that.

Curt praised Rickea's first half effusively in post game, said he realized her only getting 2 or 3 shots the second half was crazy. Then resorted to the usual - gotta continue to play good D when O not going well. Last night was the closest I've seen them come to an outright tank job. He let it happen in the 4th qtr without intervention.

This one seemed to really get to Rickea, who gets brought to postgame every game lately. She mumbled through a couple of answers but basically couldn't even raise her eyes. Clearly crushed and exhausted with all of it. Another game in Dallas Sunday, another bounce back opportunity with a game that's marginally winnable on paper. The first half sure was fun, like the old days.

VN Store

Back