Arian Foster admits to taking money at UT...

Arian Foster is an eccentric guy by most accounts. He was a philosophy major. Also by most accounts, he's a smart guy who talks a lot.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, that HE thinks this is for the greater good.

That said, several comments, like the one about the coach and the Lexus, make him come off as jealous, and more importantly hurt his argument rather than help it...but I do see what he's trying to say.

College football is a billion dollar industry and it is rife with corruption from agents, bowls, handlers, recruiters and coaches. The NCAA is ill equipped to deal with it, it's not their fault, it's the system.

I'll say this much. I don't know why AF would choose to say this now, but I'm interested in the conversation it will spark. I'm proud of Couch for owning it, when many others before him would deny, deny, deny...though if your dead to rights caught...and he was.

GBO!

He last played in 08. Statute of limitations?

Yes, there are only 2 notable exceptions to the 4 year statute of limitations clause.

1. Violating the ethics and integrity clause (penny state)

2. If a violation that has occurred in the last 4 years can be traced back further (Miami).

The first one is obviously of no concern to us, but the second one the more I think about it is a bit concerning. If whoever was giving Arian money has given money to a UT athlete in the last 4 years then the 2 can be considered an extension of each other and come back to hurt us. Which leads to my big question as to where he got the money from. While the article mentions the money it mainly focuses on the taco story and just mentions that he was receiving money on the side. If the money was from an agent I don't think there is that much to worry about. However, if it was from a booster I have a hard time believing he gave money to Arian and then just stopped giving money to players after that year. Of course if said booster was smart they would make it almost impossible to trace, so hopefully that shouldn't be a worry either. I never thought anybody would be dumb enough to leave a western union paper trail either though, and we have obviously seen that is not the case so who knows.

If four or five of them consumed 50 tacos, that's ten or more tacos each. I have to wonder what they were smoking prior to this eating binge.

Reactions: 1 person
Seems some are missing the big picture. NCAA and each school profits heavily off the backs of the players. The brand isn't anything without the guys on the field every game.

Profits?

Our athletic department is over $200,000,000.00 in debt.

I'm impressed. If I ate that many tacos, my diarrhea would have happened much sooner.

no big deal---most top players get money under the table---these big dollar universities should be paying them anyway, at least $1,000/month.

why not have legalized, monitored sponsors for the players? They can provide funding for housing, food and other spending essentials. In a monitored environment.

The more stuff like this comes out the quicker we will see the end of the NCAA! IMO

Oh yeah- course in the mean time ( the next 20 years) they will just take a few scholarships away from our program. But that wont matter cause we are in such great shape right now. Are you really that simple?

NOt trying to be a jerk, but had he continued to live on campus and not in an apartment, then he would not have that money issue. Just saying!!!!

You're not a jerk. All ya have to do is just a little diggin' and it's amazing what you'll find. The guy just believes he deserves to be paid. If he did not want to play college FB and get a free education, free tutoring, free housing, free MEALS, and other perks, then just stay home and work at Hardees (Err Carl's Jr in Cali). JMO.

If four or five of them consumed 50 tacos, that's ten or more tacos each. I have to wonder what they were smoking prior to this eating binge.

The hippie lettuce was uhhh probably free. Poor guy had to pay for Tacos until Trooper(?) rolled up in the Mexlexus.

The hippie lettuce was uhhh probably free. Poor guy had to pay for Tacos until Trooper(?) rolled up in the Mexlexus.

Ya know, now that I think about it, Edwards, Janzen, and Nu'Keese were probably starving that night they held up the guy for his burger. Travesty of justice IMO. :cray:

If someone admits to a murder from 10 years ago but the police can't find the murder weapon, is the person just set free? The proof is in the recipient. AF said he took money and impermissible benefits. I read somewhere the NCAA has a 4 year statute of limitations, if true than that would be a saving grace. But I believe UT is still on probation, so perhaps that makes this worse?

Someone help me with this. I have read here and other places that there is a 4 year statute of limitations. Is this new? If not, how was the NCAA able to vacate Penn State wins from 1998 to 2011 (only wins back to 2008 were within 4 years)? And not only that, but the current Penn State penalty is from an event that happened a decade prior? Not trying to compare taco's with what Sandusky did, but trying to look for recent NCAA penalties.

Jayson Swain ‏@JaysonSwain 3h

Foster and his legal team were full aware of the statue of limitations before the interview took place where he admitted taking money

Yes, there are only 2 notable exceptions to the 4 year statute of limitations clause.

1. Violating the ethics and integrity clause (penny state)

2. If a violation that has occurred in the last 4 years can be traced back further (Miami).

The first one is obviously of no concern to us, but the second one the more I think about it is a bit concerning. If whoever was giving Arian money has given money to a UT athlete in the last 4 years then the 2 can be considered an extension of each other and come back to hurt us. Which leads to my big question as to where he got the money from. While the article mentions the money it mainly focuses on the taco story and just mentions that he was receiving money on the side. If the money was from an agent I don't think there is that much to worry about. However, if it was from a booster I have a hard time believing he gave money to Arian and then just stopped giving money to players after that year. Of course if said booster was smart they would make it almost impossible to trace, so hopefully that shouldn't be a worry either. I never thought anybody would be dumb enough to leave a western union paper trail either though, and we have obviously seen that is not the case so who knows.

If Foster's legal team really opined that he was in the clear because of the statute of limitations, he needs new counsel.

As vol2013 points out, if another violation occurred in conjunction with others or as part of an obvious pattern of wrongdoing, that statute no longer applies... they can go back as far as violations occurred.

Considering UT is already on probation as a result of things that happened during the same time frame as Foster taking money, the NCAA could try to attach it.

Foster says he took money in 2008 and UT's other violations took place starting in 2009.

No clue if anything will ever ccome of it; but Foster definitely didn't do his alma mater any favors. Kid got a 6-figure education and free room, board, and food all that time... not to mention the publicity and forum to showcase his talents to the NFL and become a millionaire.

He says he needed money for food. Everybody who's followed cfb for even a year knows that's an outright lie. These guys are treated to the very best food on the campus for free; things the regular student body never sees even if they wanted to pay for it.

Also, not only do the football players get the full-ride scholarship that pays for everything, they also have the financial aid offices of their schools pushing through other various grant approvals that provide them with a lot of additional "spending" money, thousands of dollars.

These players are already getting paid; some of them as much as $50,000 a year if you added it all up. Raise your hand if you earned $50,000 a year as a working freshman while in college.

Reactions: 2 people
Foster clearly has a vendetta against UT. Maybe we should treat student athletes with a little more respect- if for no other reason then they may paint the school and fans in a bad light later. You can almost sense the hostility from what he said. Perhaps this is just merely my perception. I could be wrong.

Foster clearly has a vendetta against UT. Maybe we should treat student athletes with a little more respect- if for no other reason then they may paint the school and fans in a bad light later. You can almost sense the hostility from what he said. Perhaps this is just merely my perception. I could be wrong.

The athletes are treated like royalty as it is at big-time universities, aren't they?

Do they get called out when they really blow it? Yeah, just like they will be when they're lucky enough to be playing on Sunday.

Pamper them any more and you might as well sign them up for the chess and croquet teams.

Respect is earned, not given merely because of one's position. I'm just really disappointed in af. He knew exactly what he was doing when he made those comments.

"I'm not throwing anyone under the bus"

Yeah mf'er, you're throwing the people who helped you when you needed some damn tacos under there, along with the university and the fans..

Have a friend that was on the team at the same time as Foster. Just gonna throw out a few things we talked about.

1) Foster holds a grudge against UT because of the fans. To put it in my buddy's words; "the fans almost made his experience here miserable." Thinking back, he did receive a lot of criticism.

2) The coach that took them the tacos was Trooper Taylor. It was in February of 2005.

3) The cafeteria back then was only open Monday - Friday for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Players received a check of 86 dollars per month to cover food on weekends. Do the math, and that equals about 3.50 per meal (if they were to eat 3 meals)

4) The NCAA likely won't do anything about the situation because of the time lapse.

Also... Didn't know this but Foster was actually discovered by accident. Sanders went out to California to watch another recruit and Foster was on the other team. After seeing how hard he ran in person they became in contact and he was offered a scholarship. GO VOLS, BEAT FLORIDA.

Have a friend that was on the team at the same time as Foster. Just gonna throw out a few things we talked about.

1) Foster holds a grudge against UT because of the fans. To put it in my buddy's words; "the fans almost made his experience here miserable." Thinking back, he did receive a lot of criticism.

2) The coach that took them the tacos was Trooper Taylor. It was in February of 2005.

3) The cafeteria back then was only open Monday - Friday for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Players received a check of 86 dollars per month to cover food on weekends. Do the math, and that equals about 3.50 per meal (if they were to eat 3 meals)

4) The NCAA likely won't do anything about the situation because of the time lapse.

Also... Didn't know this but Foster was actually discovered by accident. Sanders went out to California to watch another recruit and Foster was on the other team. After seeing how hard he ran in person they became in contact and he was offered a scholarship. GO VOLS, BEAT FLORIDA.

Yea man he hates UT that's why he came back during the O&W game and DJ it. Cause that's what people do when they hate a place. Go back and entertain the people they hate

VN Store

Back