Barbie movie is about to be the biggest messaging backfire since Full Metal Jacket.

LOL.

It's probably more popular than The Deer Hunter. The Russian roulette scenes upset the Vietnamese government so much that Christopher Walken and Robert DeNiro were banned just for being in those scenes.

Got a link for that? I can't find anything even mentioning them being banned from Vietnam.

Kubrick clearly from interviews and comments meant to show the military transformation of men into killing machines as BAD. However it inspired a generation of guys to join the military to learn to become killing machines. It backfired.
Very similar to Wall Street. Gordon Gekko is supposed to be the villain of that movie. Lots of dudes watched it though and wanted to be him.

Reactions: Sgt_Nick_Fury
Got a link for that? I can't find anything even mentioning them being banned from Vietnam.
I remember an interview that Walken did on David Letterman where he said that ... but just searched for a source to it and couldn't find anything. He may have joking, I guess.

Tom Berenger's character was bad azz in Platoon. It was his second best performance behind Major League.
John C. McGinley is great in comedies (Scrubs and Office Space) .... but he was out of place in Platoon. He was a good friend of Oliver Stone's, so he got to be in almost all of Stone's movies.

The Bud Light boycott gave right-wingers an inflated sense of how much influence their anti-woke outrage can have. Their reach obviously doesn't extend to dolls.

'Barbie' boycott calls grow among Republicans over movie's "woke messaging"

'Barbie,' 'Oppenheimer' Shatter Box Office Opening Weekend Projections - Variety
ESPN was well before Bud Light. The verdict is still out on Barbie and will it reach levels of Maverick. We can revisit how well it did if Barbie can somehow reach that level.

ESPN was well before Bud Light. The verdict is still out on Barbie and will it reach levels of Maverick. We can revisit how well it did if Barbie can somehow reach that level.
LOL. You think it's a sign that the boycott worked ... if it doesn't gross over $700 million? That's crazy.

Reactions: NashVol11
As far as Full Metal Jacket goes ... I loved the first part of the movie at Parris Island. R. Lee Ermey was awesome as the drill instructor. I don't see how that would have inspired anyone to enlist in the Marines, however .... unless you just like being cussed out.

But he did let Pyle eat the donut.

Compared to the left boycotts?

Lulz

How are Chick-fil-A and Fox News doing? Have those liberal boycotts put them out of business yet?

I love the idea that we've devolved into arguing about which side is better at boycotting. Hilarious. I remember an ultra-brief period in history where the right claimed to be against cancel culture.

Compared to the left boycotts?

Lulz

How are Chick-fil-A and Fox News doing? Have those liberal boycotts put them out of business yet?
I agree with your sentiment.

I personally think that the only thing more lame than trying to organize a boycott ... is being enough of a sheep to actually follow one. Nobody was going to tell me not to eat at Chik-fil-A once in a while. I like their sandwiches.

My point was that the right-wing was very impressed with itself over the results of the Bud Light boycott. There has been an incredible amount of social media gloating over it. I think it led Ted Cruz and his Republican cohorts to believe that they had more influence over consumer demand in this country than what is actually the case.

The target audience for Barbie is much different than people who drink Bud Light.

I agree with your sentiment.

I personally think that the only thing more lame than trying to organize a boycott ... is being enough of a sheep to actually follow one. Nobody was going to tell me not to eat at Chik-fil-A once in a while. I like their sandwiches.

My point was that the right-wing was very impressed with itself over the results of the Bud Light boycott. There has been an incredible amount of social media gloating over it. I think it led Ted Cruz and his Republican cohorts to believe that they had more influence over consumer demand in this country than what is actually the case.

The target audience for Barbie is much different than people who drink Bud Light.

Not just social media. It's been happening here on VN by the same side that was insistent the left owns cancel culture. They ignored their history as prisoners of the moment too focused on the events confirming their bias....even arguing that boycotting is not canceling.

Are you sure? It came out in 1987 and military enlistment has declined since. What are you basing this on?

That movie has stood the test of time and it certainly did its part to turn me off to the military.

View attachment 565373

I don’t think the chart backs your argument.

No numbers for 87 and 88 but 89 shows an increase from 85. Then a decline starts in 90.

I’m not saying that the movie caused the increase in 89 because it came out in 87, but it would be interesting to see the numbers in 86, 87, and 88.

I don’t think the chart backs your argument.

No numbers for 87 and 88 but 89 shows an increase from 85. Then a decline starts in 90.

I’m not saying that the movie caused the increase in 89 because it came out in 87, but it would be interesting to see the numbers in 86, 87, and 88.

He specifically said "generation" and the numbers totally refute that.

VN Store

Back