Blue State Death Spirals

He's not great. But he can write a lesson plan
I will be a philosophy professor and posit that the drain only appears to be clogged because of the impossibility of the observer making an accurate diagnosis of a clog as there is no such thing as objective reality in the first place. What he perceives as a clogged drain is only a reflection of his preconceived but obviously incomplete notions of how a drain should function (if there WERE such a thing as a drain in the first place of course which there isn’t)
Or I go go the Platonist route and Begin aDialoge on what is the true nature of „clogness“ and how it relates to the idealized but absolute form of the idea of a „drain“
And I will provide these insights to your recent high school graduate for a measly $50 k for a two semester academic year (out of state rate)

Full disclaimer, I am obviously pretty much a Platonist 😂
EADE58F0-2F3A-4DE2-AA6F-BB06F872A9CD.jpeg

Last edited:
What do you have against hockey? Seems pretty childish to intentionally add an emoji, what are you, a teeny bopper?
Nothing against hockey. I actually was in a work training with an ex NHL guy years ago. Great guy with many cool stories.

Just laughing bc you view this as a game that doesn’t get to start until you “drop the puck”.

Nothing against hockey. I actually was in a work training with an ex NHL guy years ago. Great guy with many cool stories.

Just laughing bc you view this as a game that doesn’t get to start until you “drop the puck”.
Actually, hockey is one of the few sports that has actually let players decline to participate in „pride nights“ of late without official censure. Still a bit of a sport for freedom lovers and manly men 😉
5E187152-EA07-4539-A363-F7B1D4BC1F38.jpeg

No need to apologize, it's a message board and nothing posted about me on this forum has ever offended me. The other side of the coin is this, check the amount spent per student in Massachusetts vs. Alabama and ask yourself where you would rather have your child go to school, and violent crime is much lower in MA than it is in AL. Who cares where people choose to live? Blue states are not evil, red states are not evil. It feels like too many people are pining for some ridiculous fantasy to spilt the country in two.
As much as it pains me to say….. I’d pick Alabama over Mass every day of the week.

I agree it’s easy to armchair QB anything but whoever thought it was a good idea to have that many interchanges right there together when you come into Nashville was nuts.

Running interstates through cities in the first place was insane. They should never have gone through cities and shifted local traffic from the regular street grid. Spurs from interstates to cities would have made far more sense.

From the article posted...

West Virginia is the least educated U.S. state, with an overall score of 23.15. West Virginia ranks last for Educational Attainment with the lowest shares of people with associate’s degrees or some college experience and those with bachelor's degrees, at 20.6%. West Virginia also has the fourth-lowest average university quality.

Mississippi has a score of 25.35. As the second-least educated state, it ranks 49th for Educational Attainment and 47th for Quality of Education. Mississippi has the third-lowest share of high school diploma holders at 84.5%, the second-lowest share of bachelor's degree holders, and the fifth-lowest share of both people with associate's degrees or college experience and graduate degree holders.

Louisiana holds the third-place spot for the least educated states. Louisiana has a score of 25.75 and ranks 48th for Educational Attainment and 45th for Quality of Education. Louisiana has the fourth-lowest share of high school diploma holders and bachelor's degree holders, the second-lowest share of associate’s degree holders, and the fourth-lowest share of graduate degree holders.

Arkansas's score is 31.00 out of 100. Arkansas is in 47th for Educational Attainment, and its Quality of Education rank is an improvement to 24th. Arkansas has the third-lowest share of associates, bachelor's, and graduate degree holders.

Alabama is the country's fifth-least educated state. Alabama's Education Attainment rank is 45, and its Quality of Education rank is 38, with a total score of 33.08. About 22% of Alabama adults have a bachelor's degree or higher, which is lower than the 25% nationwide average; however, this gap is closing.

On the other hand, the most educated U.S. states are Massachusetts (81.82), Maryland(78.48), Connecticut(72.68), Colorado (69.82), and Vermont (69.67).
But that doesn't fit the narrative.

Chesterton, when asked what one book he would wish to have of stranded on a deserted island famously replied „Thomas‘ Guide to Practical Shipbuilding“. There was a man who understood the true definition of an education

I've always wondered if you were stranded on a nice temperate island with the means to comfortably supply your needs why someone would choose to leave. Of course, I'd want some sort of tablet, an inexhaustible supply of good books on it, and a means to charge it ... and it should last longer than me.

If teachers are more important than plumbers then they would need to work all year long.

You are a legend in your own mind. Quite unimpressive actually.

Puck drop? 😂
They may be one of the dumbest things I've seen posted.
I'm going to go check the work calendars for supreme court justices and sanitation engineers.

I'm pretty sure that most college graduates forget 90 percent or more of what they learn 5 years after graduation. Think that has actually been proven. I went to college for mechanical engineering and didn't even finish my degree...got most of it in, and work in the field of controls engineering. The most I have ever used is a velocity equation, and a trigonometric plug and chug equation using the tangent function to estimate the height of trees around the farm. Add to that, understanding torsion. That's what I got from college. Enjoyed it for the most part, but sure didn't enjoy the bill. Almost all of what I use comes form work experience in the electrical and maintenance fields in automation. College doesn't teach that...college can't teach that. Having said that, there are about 10 percent of engineering jobs that do need a full understanding of the trade, but most of the engineering jobs can be done with experience or by a maintenance guy that is smart. The end.

I think that depends a lot on what you actually do. I didn't always use what I learned in engineering, physics, and math classes for solving problems similar to those in books, but I certainly used what I learned in those courses during my engineering career. In fact, after graduation with an MS, I really began to appreciate more what I learned in classes like calculus and wished that the people in the math department knew and cared more about the use of the subject than the theory. Most of what was covered in those courses was the foundation to build on and the basis for problem solving. Sometimes it wasn't necessary to understand Fourier transforms, for example, as much as understanding knowing the subject well enough to understand what the output from Fast Fourier Transform Analyzer meant.

I'd think my experience wouldn't be that different from a lot of people in technical careers such as engineering, medicine, etc unless/until they transferred into more management positions.

I do Not wish the country to split in two. But I honestly think this country is more polarized than at any time since 1865. in my opinion, the only hope is the true spirit of federalism in which states get maximum leeway to enact their own policies (within the bounds of the Federal constitution of course) and that people be free to chose to live in whichever state they desire.
My central argument though is that, given freedom to chose state of residence, blue states are enacting policies that are almost ensured to result in people deciding to flee these states.
People do lot like to be taxed to death. They don’t want to be told they can’t have gas heating or to purchase a gasoline vehicle. Companies will not continue to subject themselves to stagnating levels of regulation and taxation. It is a classic manifestation of the warning against killing the Golden Goose. Tax revenues decline whist the state budgets continue to balloon. And unlike the federal government, states do not possess the ability to print endless supplies of ever diluted currency.
Honest question, how do you propose that blue states stay solvent in the face of declining population and tax revenue while continuing to promise ever more expensive benefits and programs? I hope you do not want to claim that the population losses are either imaginary or temporary. A prime example of what I am talking about is the discussion about paying every black resident of California $1.2 million in reparations (being dissected on another VN Thread at the moment). No honest person can claim with a straight face that the state of California could fund such a program without bankrupting the state. And any effort to raise taxes to a level to even pay a tiny fraction of that amount will do nothing but further accelerate the ongoing exodus of former taxpaying residents. It just WILL NOT WORK.

I really don't think it's a matter of splitting the country along lines like those around the Civil War. Some states like NY are predominantly blue but with large areas of red. Our problem is much more the urban/rural divide, and that's a much more complex issue - makes the North vs the South divide of the Civil War almost trivial.

Reactions: EasternVol
But that doesn't fit the narrative.

People in WV also used to mine coal until "intelligent" people claimed coal was evil and we didn't need it. WV suffered, and the rest of us are paying a lot more for power and inflation in the cost of everything else in general because of those "intelligent" people. It might not take a lot of education from textbooks to mine coal, but apparently the people who did supposedly learn a lot from textbooks learned just enough to be dangerous but not enough to add much value to society.

How about Coastal Elites and the citizens of Flyover States instead?

The Coastal Elites have an outlook like old drill sergeants did toward recruits. "I don't mind, and you don't matter." They would have been really hard pressed to find a better term than "Flyover States" to express their feelings of superiority.

Reactions: Thunder Good-Oil
I think that depends a lot on what you actually do. I didn't always use what I learned in engineering, physics, and math classes for solving problems similar to those in books, but I certainly used what I learned in those courses during my engineering career. In fact, after graduation with an MS, I really began to appreciate more what I learned in classes like calculus and wished that the people in the math department knew and cared more about the use of the subject than the theory. Most of what was covered in those courses was the foundation to build on and the basis for problem solving. Sometimes it wasn't necessary to understand Fourier transforms, for example, as much as understanding knowing the subject well enough to understand what the output from Fast Fourier Transform Analyzer meant.

I'd think my experience wouldn't be that different from a lot of people in technical careers such as engineering, medicine, etc unless/until they transferred into more management positions.

I agree with what you say. As far as the bolded part, I can definitely relate to that. Though I have never used what I learned in calculus based physics in the field, It has helped me understand how a lot of things worked from a behind the scenes perspective. One of the best things I learned in that class was how charge affected how water either remains physical, or turns to vapor. Why? Because of charge at the nuclear level. It is explained by a nifty integral formula. My professor had no information beyond that, and I was interested. He simply told the class that "God loves us, because without this piece of physics, life doesn't exist." I'll never forget that. He was a very good professor.

Reactions: AM64

VN Store

Back